Who did we prioritize in the early stages of this recruiting cycle?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who did we prioritize in the early stages of this recruiting cycle??

Don't really care about anyone that doesn't want to wear Orange. Playing his senior season 30 miles from South Bend probably makes ND seem a safe and familiar choice. Not sure SU needed a 3rd CG/SF in this recruiting class anyhow.

Great kid and wonderful parents. Sometimes, parents like to put themselves into their kids decisions on what’s best for them. Kudos to JJ’s parents for offering assurances to their son to do what he wants to do. It’s not the decision I wanted, but you can’t question a kids decision.
“I told him, ‘Baby, don’t worry about me. I’m Team JJ regardless if you bounce that ball or not. I got your back. Out of those five, wherever you go, that’s the color I’m wearing,” Satonya Starling said. “My biggest thing was I wanted him happy more than I wanted to see him play.”

Great example of what the parent of a high profile recruit should be saying to their child - even though I selfishly wished she was a little Orange-centric.

“I told him, ‘Baby, don’t worry about me. I’m Team JJ regardless if you bounce that ball or not. I got your back. Out of those five, wherever you go, that’s the color I’m wearing,” Satonya Starling said. “My biggest thing was I wanted him happy more than I wanted to see him play.”

Great example of what the parent of a high profile recruit should be saying to their child - even though I selfishly wished she was a little Orange-centric.
Yeah the parent sitch hasn’t worked out since Gary Battle. Too bad JJ is a good one

So are we done with the guard position for the 2022 class? Last year when we whiffed on Andre Jackson we quickly turned our focus to Richmond. Do we have any other kids who we may look to get involved with, or are we more than likely going to pocket the 'ship and look to the transfer portal next year

I’m stumped as to what that cat is arguing about…I assume he’s drunk
dodgeball touche GIF

Yes, Dior was on-board at that time I'm referring to.
But as I remember it, Roddy Gayle > JJ. So the question of early love in this cycle may not have been focused on JJ.
How do you remember it??? Could the consistent pursuit by ND and our primary interest in Gayle early on have played a part in JJ's decision??

We prioritized Dior and Westry above both Gayle and JJ. We already landed a commitment from Dior, and westries seemed imminent going back a year and a half.

But when Westry didn't commit, there was a segment of the board that was really pushing Gayle as a solid fallback option. But shortly thereafter, he picked Ohio state quite early, and that recruitment never got off the ground.

In some ways, this class was like having the coaching staff swing for the fences and strike out the first at bat, then come back and hit a solid double in the third inning. Would have been a triple if we'd landed JJ

Last edited:
But as I remember it, Roddy Gayle > JJ. So the question of early love in this cycle may not have been focused on JJ.
How do you remember it??? Could the consistent pursuit by ND and our primary interest in Gayle early on have played a part in JJ's decision??
JJ had an offer as a sophomore.

JJ had an offer as a sophomore.
I said prioritized. All buzz was Dior 1st. That included video of Dior showboating over scoring vs JJ. Cruz and Westry talk carried on ...No serious JJ talk. Then it was all Roddy Gayle. In my opinion, JJ buzz really started to pick up after Gayle sailed.

We prioritized Dior and Westry above both Gayle and JJ. We already landed a commitment from Dior, and westries seemed imminent going back a year and a half.

But when Westry didn't commit, there was a segment of the board that was really pushing Gayle as a solid fallback option. But shortly thereafter, he picked Ohio state quite early, and that recruitment never got off the ground.

In some ways, this class was like having the coaching staff swing for the fences and strike out the first at that, then come back and hit a solid double in the third inning. Would have been a triple if we'd landed JJ
Sorry, read last post after your response 1st. I agree, we weren't "all in" on JJ from the start of this recruiting cycle as some have suggested.

In some ways, this class was like having the coaching staff swing for the fences and strike out the first at that, then come back and hit a solid double in the third inning. Would have been a triple if we'd landed JJ
IMO it all got a little off the rails with Dior. It was a big distraction. Amazingly this class had 2 commits like that!

I said prioritized. All buzz was Dior 1st. That included video of Dior showboating over scoring vs JJ. Cruz and Westry talk carried on ...No serious JJ talk. Then it was all Roddy Gayle. In my opinion, JJ buzz really started to pick up after Gayle sailed.
Amongst the fanbase or the staff? I would read JBs comments about the Dior situation carefully. I don’t think that was how they prioritized. Cruz was never coming here.

I think we missed on the A list other than Taylor but hit on some really good players. Jim can do well with this Bunch:}

I’ll say this again. The reason JJ chose notre dame was because he was close with the HEAD COACH. At cuse he was close with the assistants
Its not how Jim rolls and you know that. I actually thought he would be all over this kid because of the local tie but i guess unless he can drive to Glen F or Scranton it isnt going to happen:) JJ is a good player but personally i want to see Joe at the 2 and Q and the one

So are we done with the guard position for the 2022 class? Last year when we whiffed on Andre Jackson we quickly turned our focus to Richmond. Do we have any other kids who we may look to get involved with, or are we more than likely going to pocket the 'ship and look to the transfer portal next year

I think the good ones are mostly gone at this point. It's about a month from early signing. You can't build a real relationship with a player in that little bit of time, if you're first getting involved this late.

We've seen a bunch of surprisingly good talents show up on our radar right before signing day. But those recruits have mostly turned out to be mirages, like it's musical chairs, and they are looking for the most prestigious landing spot at the last minute. Those guys either don't make it to campus, or they don't hang around very long. That's been my experience.

I think we probably get one more guy in this class. I could even see it being someone through the portal in June 2022. We need a wing who can get to the rim and also make a 3 point shot.

I'm not sure that Bunch is really that guy. I don't see the ability to drive. He can dunk, and he can make a 3 point set shot, but I don't see that much more in his game, to be honest. And he's not Southerland, who was a freak athlete. As someone else said, he's more like Preston Shumpert.

Pretty good player to get, but not quite a fit for what's needed on the roster, IMO, right now. If you compared him to Woody or Griffin, he doesn't look as good to me, not as agile, not as mobile.

I’ll say this again. The reason JJ chose notre dame was because he was close with the HEAD COACH. At cuse he was close with the assistants

Jim's been working way harder than he did for a couple years. This is still quite a good class, despite missing on a handful of alpha / star players.

This reminds me of the 2002 freshman class. We filled the roster with a young quality guy at every position. A couple guys didn't work out, but it provided a foundation for the following class, which brought us to the top.

so he must not have hit it off with the HCs at Duke, Stanford or NW either? At his announcement he said he hit it off with Brey because he’s always joking around and he likes to joke around himself. So he hit it off with Brey, that doesn’t mean it has to be a negative for JB or other coaches. To each their own.

so he must not have hit it off with the HCs at Duke, Stanford or NW either? At his announcement he said he hit it off with Brey because he’s always joking around and he likes to joke around himself. So he hit it off with Brey, that doesn’t mean it has to be a negative for JB or other coaches. To each their own.
good point. This shouldn't be characterized as a negative for Jimmy. Some players like warm, fuzzy sweater vest wearing coaches more than Hall of Famers. As you said, to each his own.

Cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom