Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

I am all for a whiz kid if we are looking long term. But it will be hard for a young guy with little to no P5 experience to come in here install his O, then tweak it to our roster, then adjust to P5 football. By the time all of that happens it will be 3/4 of the way through the season. That is fine and dandy if we have 2 or more years, but we are in a win now situation. That IMO calls for someone who already has P5 experience and/or some NFL experience. They still have the new team learning curve but won't have the P5 learning curve. And their experience will allow the new O new team learning curve to be shorter as they have done it before.

So I think the better options are guys like Anae (62), Johns (46), Yost (52?) vs guys like Breiner (38?), Decker (32?), Sowder (33?).

Both coaches should have been canned. Nebraska isn’t the job it used to be, but it is still way easier to win there than at SU. On the other hand, 1 bowl in 6 years is unacceptable. Ok who’s our next OC?

Considering the new OC will have to hit the ground running, with little time to install new things, I think we need a gray beard guy who has been there done that. Figure out what he can do with what he has - including what we can add from the portal - not a system guy who is rigid in what he tries to do. It’s a one year gig, unless it works, so there is no room for error.

Considering the new OC will have to hit the ground running, with little time to install new things, I think we need a gray beard guy who has been there done that. Figure out what he can do with what he has - including what we can add from the portal - not a system guy who is rigid in what he tries to do. It’s a one year gig, unless it works, so there is no room for error.
Agreed I’d take a senior guy that just knows what it takes to get it done

Lol okay we can revisit this in two years and see who is left standing. Bet it ain’t your bestie dino
Not my bestie. Just trying to wrap my head around liking Frost as definitively better. I’m always interested when a stand is made on a weak hill. If I have to wait two years, so be it.

(You can make the case both are getting more rope than they deserve IMO)

Kevin Rogers.

Yes, after a two year hiatus due to back and hip issues, he’s back to coaching. An offensive assistant with the Browns.
Lelan Rodgers?

How about Miami's passing game coordinator and WR coach Rob Likens? Either hire him in the same role or give him the OC reigns. Crossed paths with White at ASU. Grey beard. 28 years, 4x OC...lots of success in the passing game. And oh he coached at Central Connecticut State. ;)

Miami's DL coach Jess Simpson and TE/Recruiting coordinator coach Stephen Field should be available to. Both South Florida and Georgia guys great for recruiting.

Last edited:
How about Miami's passing game coordinator and WR coach Rob Likens? Either hire him in the same role or give him the OC reigns. Crossed paths with White at ASU. Grey beard. 28 years, 4x OC...lots of success in the passing game. And oh he coached at Central Connecticut State. ;)

Miami's DL coach Jess Simpson and TE/Recruiting coordinator coach Stephen Field should be available to. Both South Florida and Georgia guys great for recruiting.

I'm sure White would offer input, and curious what he would think. Without knowing all (or any) of the details, Arizona State's offense in his 1st year was worse than the previous year. His offense in the 2nd year was much worse than the 1st year.

Miami's passing offense improved both years he was there. Was very good this year.

If those two assistants you mention are good recruiters, I'd guess they'll be picked up quickly.

Does anyone have an idea of when this OC hire is going to happen? My trust in Dino is pretty low right now so I get a feeling SU won't have an OC until the start of spring practice..... ;)

I'm sure White would offer input, and curious what he would think. Without knowing all (or any) of the details, Arizona State's offense in his 1st year was worse than the previous year. His offense in the 2nd year was much worse than the 1st year.

Miami's passing offense improved both years he was there. Was very good this year.

If those two assistants you mention are good recruiters, I'd guess they'll be picked up quickly.

I didn't dive into his numbers other than reading his bio.

"In his first season at The U, the Hurricanes jumped to No. 32 in FBS in total offense (from No. 98), No. 29 in passing offense (from No. 52), No. 26 in scoring offense (from No. 90), No. 17 in red zone offense (from No. 122) and No. 20 in first downs gained offense (from No. 84)."

@ASU
2019 - True Freshman QB threw for 2900 17 TDs, had a 1,000 yard RB and a 1,000 yard WR

2018 - ASU was the only Power 5 program to boast a 3,000-yard passer (Manny Wilkins), 1,500-yard rusher (Benjamin) and 1,000-yard receiver (N’Keal Harry). Wilkins accounted for 28 total touchdowns, while Benjamin set a school single-season record with 1,642 rushing yards.

Seemed pretty good, at least compared to us.

Good call.

I would imagine hiring an OC early as possible (given he is the guy you want), would be very beneficial seeing we could utilize the OC on the recruiting front ASAP

One of the problems we have now is that there is so much movement with teams much better positioned to steal away the best ones we might want to offer and our moves must be so silent that the individual is out recruiting for us before others can mess with him. In addition, he is going to wish to bring in his own position coaches and there are way too many moving parts now in play.
Our next announcement may be a Dline coach which Coach White can manage.