Who is your favorite player? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is your favorite player?

It's comforting to have such a rich array of players in our history from whom to choose: Derrick Coleman's power, Otis Hill's strength, Wallace's overall skill set, 'Melo's grace, Warrick's litany of acrobatic monster dunks (and of course "the block"), Andy Rautins' hustle, Pace and GMac who stood up under some frightful beatings and still competed hard, Jim Lee's sharpshooting, the pas de deux of Louie and Bouie, the tragic fall of Billy Edelin, Pearl's artistry, Sherman's leadership, Rick Jackson's reliability, the meteoric rise of Wes Johnson ... and it doesn't matter how many you list, you'll leave someone off who deserves mention. (edit: see? I left out Etan). It's a delight to be Orange. :)

Last edited:
Roberson started the year as my favorite, but he's starting to bug me a bit. Love his effort with rebounding, and just wish he approached playing offense like he does getting after offensive rebounds. Just go get it! Frank has really impressed me this season and I think he's my current favorite.

I was a big fan of Brandon Triche, Melo of course, and John Wallace. Everytime I read the name (Wallace) I can't help but pronounce it the way they did on TV. Wish I could find a clip.

perhaps you're thinking of warwick???

len-elmore-mug-f692d78aecfc1f70.jpg

This year it has become Malachi, though I root extra hard for Coleman.

All time...Sherman Douglas, Josh Pace, Billy Owens, Melo, Flynn, and Moten.

This year--Cooney. Much maligned, but has the heart of a lion. Plays at both ends, and never quits (although none of the kids on the last two teams had any quit in them).

All-time--Pearl. Put a stamp on this program that will never be erased. Sherm was a better player, but the Pearl was, well, THE PEARL. A God in sneakers.

This year - love me some Silent G, but I think Mali's my pick.
Rico and Robie honorable mention.
They all seem like legitimately good guys on this year's team.

All time - Sherm & Stevie, or Stevie & Sherm.

Honorable mention - CJ. J-Dub. Warrick.

Guess I've got a soft spot for guys who lead us to a Final Four.

(Melo is obviously the tops in that regard, but I liked these other guys better.)

Yikes... there are just so many and like it was said above... it's like trying to identify a favorite among your children. That having been said I think I will list a few that you don't hear mentioned that much yet they made significant contributions to the team and the program during their stay here on the hill.

Not necessarily in order of preference:

1. Rafael Addison ( The silkiest shot I've ever seen)
2. Otis Hill ( carried a team on his back to the championship game from outta nowhere)
3. Eric Devendorf ( as brassy as anyone who ever wore Orange and didn't take $het from anybody)
4. Scoop Jardine ( The video of the kid crying could have easily be me)
5. Billy Edelin ( his stay was brief and cloaked with mystery, but no Billy... no title in '03".
6. GMAC ( the embodiment of epic commitment to being Orange)
7. Christmas ( 4 years, massive improvement, how can a kid so nice have such a scowl?)
8. Craig Forth ( perhaps the least credited and underappreciated player in Syracuse history)

It's easily John Wallace...

Others I enjoyed watching GMac, Moten, Hart, Etan Thomas and Shumpert. I was a big fan of the '94/95, '95/'96, '99/'00 and of course '02/'03 teams. Especially '96 and '00...

Boy this is a deceptively tough question.

This year: Mike G.
Past 10 years: Dion Waiters (I think I'm the only one naming him!)
All Time: Wallace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom