Why did McDonald rub people the wrong way?? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why did McDonald rub people the wrong way??

KaiserUEO said:
Seriously. And for a school that prides itself on being a leading school of communication...this is going from bad to worse quickly. He needs to leave Syracuse ASAP. We are about to become the jets...

The Jets have better QBs.

;)

BS little do they know he seized up in the coaching box Friday night and Lester had to step in for him. He can take a hike.

Pariani, Spence did that to. And if that really happened he was blindsided?

Pariani, Spence did that to. And if that really happened he was blindsided?

Exactly how was he blindisde, and I think that's part of the reason Shafer demoted immediately. From the double reverse on Lester was in charge.

Exactly how was he blindisde, and I think that's part of the reason Shafer demoted immediately. From the double reverse on Lester was in charge.

You mean the West pass that Lewis dropped?

That whole sequence reeked of 2AM Saturday morning Madden.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 4m4 minutes ago
George McDonald said he was "blindsided" by demotion. Didn't see it coming. Would've stayed at Arkansas if he knew this would happen.
No good can come of this kind of thing being released, for anyone really.

Human nature reaction. Cut the guy some slack and rise above this childishness. I thank Coach McDonald for his hard work and am sorry it didn't work out. Best of luck to him.
Someone might want to counsel him on how to be a professional. Sometimes life throws you a curve. You deal with it and take the high road no matter what your feelings are.

Last edited:
Someone might want to counsel him on how to be a professional. Sometimes life throws you a curve. You deal with it and take the high road no matter what your feeling are.

Easy for us to judge sitting on our butts at home watching the tube. But the guy has just had the bottom pulled out from under him and he was jumped on by the press. Nothing prepares you for that. He will handle it better the next time and in his business there is always a next time.

What he said was not so bad either. What was he supposed to do - lie? Just was no big deal.

You mean the West pass that Lewis dropped?

That whole sequence reeked of 2AM Saturday morning Madden.

Yes. McDonald froze, Lester stepped in and finished. And he wonders why he got demoted.

2 things:

- Bad look, George. Good luck finding another job.

- this is why you don't have a guy who gets demoted get in front of a mic.

Easy for us to judge sitting on our butts at home watching the tube. But the guy has just had the bottom pulled out from under him and he was jumped on by the press. Nothing prepares you for that. He will handle it better the next time and in his business there is always a next time.

What he said was not so bad either. What was he supposed to do - lie? Just was no big deal.
Anyone that has worked in a professional setting has had this or something similar happen. You don't sit in a corner, whine and complain to anyone who will listen. You act like a professional and do your job until you make decision to leave. He's had 10 jobs in 9 years, i have a sense he's prepared for change.

2 things:

- Bad look, George. Good luck finding another job.
- this is why you don't have a guy who gets demoted get in front of a mic.

Exactly how do you stop it? This is no big deal except to the press. Am I supposed to get down on a guy for sticking up for himself?

Crusty said:
Exactly how do you stop it? This is no big deal except to the press. Am I supposed to get down on a guy for sticking up for himself?

You wait awhile for his first press availability. I have no problem with his right to say what he wants - I get why he's peeved. It's just a bad move for him and the University.

Human nature reaction. Cut the guy some slack and rise above this childishness. I thank Coach McDonald for his hard work and am sorry it didn't work out. Best of luck to him.

Human nature reaction, but not human nature to share it. Rather, immature and classless.

Human nature reaction, but not human nature to share it. Rather, immature and classless.
The guy worked his butt off trying to do a good job. SU fans jumping on him now is what is classless.

The guy worked his butt off trying to do a good job. SU fans jumping on him now is what is classless.

I agree on this. You give criticism where criticism is due and praise where praise is due. I defended him after the Maryland game because, IMO, that loss was more attributable to the players not executing than the game he called. But for me, its the general inconsistency of his playcalling and lack of continuity, looking at his resume as a whole, that doesn't make this move a surprise.

That being said, the guy wasn't lazy, he definitely tried and put in the effort. He just wasn't consistently successful with it. It is what it is. No need to be a D*** about it.

No one's jumping on him.

Nothing wrong with criticizing poor behavior. Most expect better than this from the student-athletes, much less from one of the university's highest-paid employees.

If this is really what took place last year then Shafer needed to change stuff up in the offseason not wait until the season starts. IMO
He gave McD a second chance, not a bad decision, but it has not improved his OC performance.

Wait, so Lester called the reverse? If so interesting.

I am a full on believer that when Lester went to the booth last year he took over play calling. There is a rhythm to games that you saw the second half last year and had not yet seen this year. Of course, I am also a completely irrational fan and have talked myself into one of the greatest upsets ever on Saturday. With a new OC. And a backup QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom