Why did McDonald rub people the wrong way?? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why did McDonald rub people the wrong way??

No one's jumping on him.

Nothing wrong with criticizing poor behavior. Most expect better than this from the student-athletes, much less from one of the university's highest-paid employees.

What poor behavior? He was asked a question and he answered it truthfully. He is not a polished politician running for office. He just got demoted/fired very publicly. I wouldn't judge him until you are faced with similar circumstances.

What poor behavior? He was asked a question and he answered it truthfully. He is not a polished politician running for office. He just got demoted/fired very publicly. I wouldn't judge him until you are faced with similar circumstances.

I'm judging. Seems that a lot of us are.

If he really told a reporter that he'd have been better off staying at Arkansas (or wished he'd stayed at Arkansas, whichever it was), he's either demonstrating (again) a terrible lack of self control or simply a lack of class. It's disrespectful to Shafer, who stuck his neck out for an underqualified friend, to the university, and to all the kids on the team.

And I'd never conduct myself that way when faced with a firing or demotion. If you feel that way, fine. But that's not a sentiment to share.

If he really told a reporter that he'd have been better off staying at Arkansas (or wished he'd stayed at Arkansas, whichever it was), he's either demonstrating (again) a terrible lack of self control or simply a lack of class. It's disrespectful to Shafer, who stuck his neck out for an underqualified friend, to the university, and to all the kids on the team.

And I'd never conduct myself that way when faced with a firing or demotion. If you feel that way, fine. But that's not a sentiment to share.
th Arkansas thing is obvious though as your not going to leave Arkansas as wr coach to come to Syracuse your leaving for a higher position but probably shouldn't be said

th Arkansas thing is obvious though as your not going to leave Arkansas as wr coach to come to Syracuse your leaving for a higher position but probably shouldn't be said

Right. I'm sure a lot of us thought that (since it's common sense - someone with no Syracuse connection likely wouldn't leave Arkansas for Syracuse without some huge pay bump or coordinator role). And some of us felt bad for him because of that.

But it's in poor taste for him to say it.

You are hardly a public figure I would guess. circumstances are quite different.
You can't even remember what he actually said or the context. Nothing wrong with his statement. Seems obvious on its face. If he was asked, "Would you have come here if you knew you would have less than 2 seasons to develop an offense?" How does he answer that? You have no idea what the interview was like and have no basis to judge. You just didn't like his answer.

GM made many many positive and classy comments, which you choose to ignore.

Two sides to every story - he left Arkansas as WR coach to come here so I am not sure who did who a favor.

You made your judgment and I made mine - it is classless to kick this guy at this moment in time. Hope it makes you feel good.

You are hardly a public figure I would guess. circumstances are quite different.
You can't even remember what he actually said or the context. Nothing wrong with his statement. Seems obvious on its face. If he was asked, "Would you have come here if you knew you would have less than 2 seasons to develop an offense?" How does he answer that? You have no idea what the interview was like and have no basis to judge. You just didn't like his answer.

GM made many many positive and classy comments, which you choose to ignore.

Two sides to every story - he left Arkansas as WR coach to come here so I am not sure who did who a favor.

You made your judgment and I made mine - it is classless to kick this guy at this moment in time. Hope it makes you feel good.

Kick him?

I'm sorry that you're unable to make a distinction between criticism of behavior and "kicking" someone. I'm serious. That's disappointing. You're better than that.

Lots of post on McD, as expected with the recent news, but my opinion of the former OC is this:

1) He had a vision of what he wanted the offense but never had the talent to execute. The caveat to this is that he should have either coached up the existing talent to execute his offense properly, or run an offense that the existing talent can execute. We became one-dimensional with Hunt running - as I said previously, UND and UL shut down our run, which was essentially our offense all year.
2) He came across as being stubborn at times, unwilling to acknowledge and adjust an offense that just wasn't working. However, I think its good that he stuck to his beliefs to some extent and Shafer gave him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, McD just wasn't able to deliver.
3) He came across and defensive and immature in his interactions with the media and fans. That certainly can't help win over anyone.

Its a shame that McD is expressing his negative feelings to the public, not because of the bad publicity for SU, but because it emphasizes that he just doesn't get it. He had opportunities to change things and that he took the blame for the poor showing against UL was progress in my opinion, but its just too late. Its just an immature reaction by someone who was an OC of a DI program.

I'm glad for the change, where ever it takes us, change was necessary and now we have it. I'll be watching to see how Shafer manages these changes and hope to see those big balls of his continue to make changes to make us competitive in our games.

LOL - this thread is awesome with everything that has happened since it was created.

CLASSIC!!!!

Where is Cali to ask what's going on.

LOL - this thread is awesome with everything that has happened since it was created.

CLASSIC!!!!

Where is Cali to ask what's going on.

This stuff show would actually be pretty hilarious if it was anyone but us.

I guess this is karma for the Rutgers Dumpster Fire thread

Kick him?

I'm sorry that you're unable to make a distinction between criticism of behavior and "kicking" someone. I'm serious. That's disappointing. You're better than that.

"Rather, immature and classless."
"...he's either demonstrating (again) a terrible lack of self control or simply a lack of class."

I don't call those remarks simple criticism. They are highly inflammatory and certainly kicking someone when they are down.

We are talking about people's lives and careers and McDonald is neither immature or classless. The post on this board are so much worse than what GM said.

"It's disrespectful to Shafer, who stuck his neck out for an underqualified friend, to the university, and to all the kids on the team. This is just an ill-informed attempt to pile on. Shafer went after him and he left an SEC team to come here.

How is it disrespectful to all the kids on the team - that is just flat out wrong.
“I can’t leave because I’ve asked them to invest so much in what we were doing,” McDonald said, “and to give me so much, so I can’t — just because I’m not happy — turn my back on these kids because none of them have ever turned their back on me.”​
Doesn't sound disrespectful to me. It sounds pretty classy.

We'll have to agree to disagree

"Rather, immature and classless."
"...he's either demonstrating (again) a terrible lack of self control or simply a lack of class."

I don't call those remarks simple criticism. They are highly inflammatory and certainly kicking someone when they are down.

We are talking about people's lives and careers and McDonald is neither immature or classless. The post on this board are so much worse than what GM said.

"It's disrespectful to Shafer, who stuck his neck out for an underqualified friend, to the university, and to all the kids on the team. This is just an ill-informed attempt to pile on. Shafer went after him and he left an SEC team to come here.

How is it disrespectful to all the kids on the team - that is just flat out wrong.
“I can’t leave because I’ve asked them to invest so much in what we were doing,” McDonald said, “and to give me so much, so I can’t — just because I’m not happy — turn my back on these kids because none of them have ever turned their back on me.”​
Doesn't sound disrespectful to me. It sounds pretty classy.

We'll have to agree to disagree
George?

anomander said:
This stuff show would actually be pretty hilarious if it was anyone but us. I guess this is karma for the Rutgers Dumpster Fire thread

The karma for this cluster season are the uniforms. It's not nice to disrespect the Orange.

Wait, so Lester called the reverse? If so interesting.

I am a full on believer that when Lester went to the booth last year he took over play calling. There is a rhythm to games that you saw the second half last year and had not yet seen this year. Of course, I am also a completely irrational fan and have talked myself into one of the greatest upsets ever on Saturday. With a new OC. And a backup QB.

For the record, if there was any seizing up to be done, it should have been after Lewis dropped that pass.

Easy for us to judge sitting on our butts at home watching the tube. But the guy has just had the bottom pulled out from under him and he was jumped on by the press. Nothing prepares you for that. He will handle it better the next time and in his business there is always a next time.

What he said was not so bad either. What was he supposed to do - lie? Just was no big deal.
You get paid a ton of money to lead young men and its ok to act like this in front of the media? he has every right to be upset but in no way shape or form can he spout off like this. It is professionally unacceptable.

You get paid a ton of money to lead young men and its ok to act like this in front of the media? he has every right to be upset but in no way shape or form can he spout off like this. It is professionally unacceptable.
We now know that Shafer fire him on the phone. On the phone. He had every right to be pissed. Had Shaf handled it better the result might have been different.
Anyway, we will just have to disagree.

We now know that Shafer fire him on the phone. On the phone. He had every right to be pissed. Had Shaf handled it better the result might have been different.
Anyway, we will just have to disagree.

He didn't fire him, he asked him to step aside calling plays for the better of the team moving forward. And are we sure this was done over the phone? He indeed has every right to be pissed and can react any way he choses. I just think that the way he did react just further defines and explains what the issues were with him as a play caller and leader.

He didn't fire him, he asked him to step aside calling plays for the better of the team moving forward. And are we sure this was done over the phone? He indeed has every right to be pissed and can react any way he choses. I just think that the way he did react just further defines and explains what the issues were with him as a play caller and leader.
That is what McD said in his interview. He got a call from Shafer at 8 PM when he was in his office. Has not been disputed. Shafer did not handle this very professionally, not to mention the guys is/was a good friend. I don't question the decision just the way it was done.

Crusty said:
That is what McD said in his interview. He got a call from Shafer at 8 PM when he was in his office. Has not been disputed. Shafer did not handle this very professionally, not to mention the guys is/was a good friend. I don't question the decision just the way it was done.

So what are your feelings now that Shafer refuted the phone thing and has insisted it was done face to face? Bus McDonald still justified for being a baby in your eyes?

Fair enough. These things are never easy, especially considering the personal relationship.

Not rumors the play calling was "assisted" by Lester. Millhouse had a nice break down of the difference in performance. That is one reason I have a shred of hope for the season. I think McDonald has the ability to design a great offense but lacks the feel for calling the game where Lester as a QB who threw for 12,000 yards in his career at WMU might be a better fit to feel the game out and make better calls. I could be wrong but that is my take at the moment. I guess we will find out soon enough right?
Probably not this week.

Probably not this week.

Probably not but never said it would be this week however imagine if the offense looks somewhat decent against FSU ... then what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom