Why wasn't Jim at the draft? | Syracusefan.com

Why wasn't Jim at the draft?

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
Seemed like every major player had their coach there for a hug after they got selected

I know Jim was against Mal going but support the kid. He was a BIG key in reaching a FF for you.

Criteria for JB attending the draft... win him a NC. Seriously though I have no problem with him not going. I'm surprised any coach goes. I thought it was crazy that Paypal and Tom Izzo were calling teams to lobby for their guys to get drafted.

Last edited:
If by every major player you mean Izzo and Cal, yeah every player was there.

Gonzaga coach was there too...

Was Coach K there? If not, then probably no ACC coaches were there...

Wasn't a big fan of Izzo calling to lobby for his player...seemed desperate to me...

If by every major player you mean Izzo and Cal, yeah every player was there.

There were a lot of coaches there last night. Mark Few, Providence's coach just off the top of my head

There were a lot of coaches there last night. Mark Few, Providence's coach just off the top of my head
Were a majority of major coaches there or a minority? JB has never gone. Doesn't matter to me if he went or if he didn't. This is no big deal.

Because, like the majority of top coaches, he's not a self-serving attention whore like Calipari?

Other coaches were there. I know Mark Few was.

And you may call it self-serving attention whore, but it certainly hasnt hurt Calipari recruiting.

Wasn't JB doing something for the Olympic team or do I have my dates messed up?

May have been...after all they are about 5-6 weeks away...especially since the NBA Finals are over, I am sure he and K are working on the roster and figuring out who they have and what needs they may have...sending invites...plus putting together practice schedules...

Other coaches were there. I know Mark Few was.

And you may call it self-serving attention whore, but it certainly hasnt hurt Calipari recruiting.

Hey...We can still call him a self-serving attention whore and still acknowledge that it does indeed work for him...

Syracuse is just like Hawaii this time of year. Why would he want to leave?

Because, like the majority of top coaches, he's not a self-serving attention whore like Calipari?

In this context, it seems like "self-serving" is the same as "team/program-serving."

Yeah, if you're predisposed to 'hating' a coach, this just fuels you. If you're objective, it's a coach/mentor/caretaker of a young man, seeing him into the next stage of his life. And it doesn't hurt to show the next set of recruits that you 'care' for a player even when he's no longer in a position to win games for you.

That all said, in Mal's position, it might have been a long, humiliating night, compounded by a JB presence, if he hadn't been selected 'early enough.' Mal already looked far more despondent than grateful for being selected — as if some 'draft promise' went unfulfilled.

And, who knows — don't the player and family (and agent) have a say re: who's at the table? Mal's folks might not have been thrilled at JB's comments, and would have rejected the idea even if JB had wanted to show support.

In this context, it seems like "self-serving" is the same as "team/program-serving."

Yeah, if you're predisposed to 'hating' a coach, this just fuels you. If you're objective, it's a coach/mentor/caretaker of a young man, seeing him into the next stage of his life. And it doesn't hurt to show the next set of recruits that you 'care' for a player even when he's no longer in a position to win games for you.

That all said, in Mal's position, it might have been a long, humiliating night, compounded by a JB presence, if he hadn't been selected 'early enough.' Mal already looked far more despondent than grateful for being selected — as if some 'draft promise' went unfulfilled.

And, who knows — don't the player and family (and agent) have a say re: who's at the table? Mal's folks might not have been thrilled at JB's comments, and would have rejected the idea even if JB had wanted to show support.
I don't see a coach's presence or absence on draft night as a referendum on his effectiveness as a coach, mentor or caretaker of his players.

I do know, however, that the great majority of JB's former players have remained loyal to the program and have kind words for him; to me, that's a better measure of his impact on their lives.

I don't see a coach's presence or absence on draft night as a referendum on his effectiveness as a coach, mentor or caretaker of his players.

I do know, however, that the great majority of JB's former players have remained loyal to the program and have kind words for him; to me, that's a better measure of his impact on their lives.

It's not a referendum. It's a PR move, and PR and truth/value/effectiveness have a complex, nuanced relationship. A coach sitting by a player's side doesn't diminish his effectiveness as an impactor on kids' lives.

Because, like the majority of top coaches, he's not a self-serving attention whore like Calipari.

I just want to apologize for taking almost 16 hours before reading and liking your post.

Fixed it for you, though, free of charge of course. Should have never read as a question but rather as a statement.

Next time please be more confident in your disparaging (yet accurate) words re: Pay Pal Cal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom