Why we will beat Duke | Syracusefan.com

Why we will beat Duke

Cuse House

All American
Hear me out on this everyone, I know we haven't beat the top of the ACC but I have seen some things between the two teams lately which I believe points in our favor.

1) Jefferson is out. He is the type of guy who typically carves out a spot in the middle of our zone and makes noise. Honestly, him not playing is a MAJOR bonus to us. Don't want anyone to be hurt of course but if he is going to miss games, might as well miss ours ;).

2) Duke is weak defensively. Yes, this seems to be typical of Duke lately, they usually win by outscoring their opponents. Only UNC scores more PPG than Duke. Defensively however, they are severely lacking. I think our team has been showing signs of emerging offense and when we play a team who doesn't guard that well it could bode well for us. Ala Atlantis.

3) They are the only team who plays less guys than us. They only play 6 without Jefferson and this makes them susceptible to foul problems and having to play less aggressively on defense. They also had a tough game today against Notre Dame while we had a walk in the park. Our team should be rested considering they don't have to travel far. Plus I expect Howard to spill the guards more since he has proven to be a more than viable option. That puts us at 7 man rotation and Chino can eat a few minutes if necessary.

4) The emergence of Roberson and Coleman is HUGE. Roberson has probably had the best three game stretch of his career. And Coleman is finally starting to play much better. Duke only has one big man in Plumlee. He is a solid player but I think we can attack him down low and get after the boards. Ingram has a long wingspan but is not physically overpowering. We can win the boards and I expect Roberson to continue to have good games against Duke like he has the past two seasons.

5) They get the majority of their production from three guys. Allen, Ingram, and Kennard typically score around 2/3 of their points. Two of them have never seen the zone and Allen didn't play much last year. We don't need to shut them all down, but if we can even force 1 of the 3 to have a bad game then we can really slow their offense. Those three are all very good players but they are not as balanced as we are on offense.

Ultimately, fouls could play a huge part in this game. Which ever team attacks the inside better will likely win. With how we have been playing down low of late, I like our teams mentality going into Monday night. Oh yea, G usually plays well against Duke as well! We win this game, and the season is completely turned around. I am very confident right now.

Also forgot to mention, I watched the Duke vs. Wake Forest game with a keen interest. Wake was leading or within five points practically the whole game. They dominated Duke in the paint and we basically destroyed Wake in the paint today. I know you can't compare scores and so forth but I think we are playing with new found aggression. Since Pittsburgh, we have done very well down low and with rebounding. So there's that.

Awesome write up my man. The chances of Duke losing at home in a row seems unlikey, but they seem ripe for the taking and we've been playing really well. I have a feeling today was a turning point in our season, a win @ Cameron would only confirm that and set us up for a fun 2nd half of the ACC.

Hear me out on this everyone, I know we haven't beat the top of the ACC but I have seen some things between the two teams lately which I believe points in our favor.

1) Jefferson is out. He is the type of guy who typically carves out a spot in the middle of our zone and makes noise. Honestly, him not playing is a MAJOR bonus to us. Don't want anyone to be hurt of course but if he is going to miss games, might as well miss ours ;).

2) Duke is weak defensively. Yes, this seems to be typical of Duke lately, they usually win by outscoring their opponents. Only UNC scores more PPG than Duke. Defensively however, they are severely lacking. I think our team has been showing signs of emerging offense and when we play a team who doesn't guard that well it could bode well for us. Ala Atlantis.

3) They are the only team who plays less guys than us. They only play 6 without Jefferson and this makes them susceptible to foul problems and having to play less aggressively on defense. They also had a tough game today against Notre Dame while we had a walk in the park. Our team should be rested considering they don't have to travel far. Plus I expect Howard to spill the guards more since he has proven to be a more than viable option. That puts us at 7 man rotation and Chino can eat a few minutes if necessary.

4) The emergence of Roberson and Coleman is HUGE. Roberson has probably had the best three game stretch of his career. And Coleman is finally starting to play much better. Duke only has one big man in Plumlee. He is a solid player but I think we can attack him down low and get after the boards. Ingram has a long wingspan but is not physically overpowering. We can win the boards and I expect Roberson to continue to have good games against Duke like he has the past two seasons.

5) They get the majority of their production from three guys. Allen, Ingram, and Kennard typically score around 2/3 of their points. Two of them have never seen the zone and Allen didn't play much last year. We don't need to shut them all down, but if we can even force 1 of the 3 to have a bad game then we can really slow their offense. Those three are all very good players but they are not as balanced as we are on offense.

Ultimately, fouls could play a huge part in this game. Which ever team attacks the inside better will likely win. With how we have been playing down low of late, I like our teams mentality going into Monday night. Oh yea, G usually plays well against Duke as well! We win this game, and the season is completely turned around. I am very confident right now.

I agree, I wouldn't have said it a week ago, but quantum leaps have been made by the boys the last few games. Duke is not the top of ACC this year, and they are ripe for the taking. Coach K should be the one losing sleep as he thinks about his team giving up 95 points to an average ND team, they are on a losing streak, and he seems to have no answers on defense. And he is facing his mentor for zone defense, who's signature style is getting better with each game, coming off back to back season best shut down performances. I like our chances and expect the 5th year seniors, 1 a former Dukie to keep the game close all night, and maybe pull away for that much needed signature win in the new year. LGO !!!

Plus, I will he there:p
Headmaster, I was going to post that before I saw your post. Headmaster and her husband Obie9 (who live in the Syracuse area) attended the Wake Forest game today and will stay in Durham in order to attend the Duke game on Monday (I have no idea how they got tickets). They are two great fans. I have run into them at SU games all over the USA.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhh, I used to live 2 miles from Cameron, but even better, 1 1/2 miles from the Duke Gardens. Good times, my friends, good times . . .

Where was I? Oh, yeah. GO SU, BEAT DUKE!

Unfortunately the ACC refs and ESPN will not let Duke lose back to back games at home, especially against Syracuse. #IHATEDUKE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom