"Why your favorite shows are ratings disasters" | Syracusefan.com

"Why your favorite shows are ratings disasters"

armory

All American
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/nielsen-family-is-dead/

television is better than ever. And it’s not just a lucky accident. Turns out that networks and advertisers are using all-new metrics to design hit shows. Under these new rules, Twitter feeds are as important as ratings, fresh ideas beat tired formulas, and niche stars can be as valuable as big names.

Good read.

All of your favorite shows are ratings dogs. Breaking Bad, Girls, Mad Men—each struggles to get a Nielsen score higher than 3, representing about 8.7 million viewers. And it’s not just cable. NBC’s 30 Rock struggled to top a score of 2.5, and Parks and Recreation rarely cracks Nielsen’s top 25. There are two possible conclusions to draw from these facts: (1) All these shows should be canceled, or (2) maybe the ratings are measuring the wrong thing.

I know this is the easy answer, and I haven't read that article yet, but the popular shows are generally, to be honest, the less intelligent shows. Shows that have strong wit and don't go for cheap laughs, for instance, are going to appeal to a greater number of people. The masses don't seem to want quirky, smart, different comedies.

As far as ratings for dramas go, just look on AMC: Walking Dead (which I love, but is far from intelligent) pulls in monster ratings because it's about people killing zombies in increasingly gory fashion. Shows like Mad Men require you to think a lot more and don't have nearly the action.

It's just like with box office numbers. Cheap laughs and action will trump subtle and nuanced wit and character development every time.

Walking Dead (which I love, but is far from intelligent) pulls in monster ratings because it's about people killing zombies in increasingly gory fashion.

would that it were actually so . . . WD has become a boring snooze fest. It's a slow-speed, low-rent quasi-political soap opera with the occasional zombie killing to try and paper over its slow pace and boring actors.

More on this topic:

"Netflix isn’t just rebooting Arrested Development—it’s revolutionizing TV."

TLDR: while dinosaur networks cancel quality and regurgitate crap ... Netflix's model actually allows the good shows to stay on TV... and Arrested Development is hard proof.

maybe we should hold off on the triumphalism until we see if the show is actually any good? I loved AD, but (1) chasing the dragon usually leaves you feeling unfulfilled and (2) House of Cards was a gigantic fizzle, IMO.

I always thought the reason why my favorite shows were ratings disasters is because I have horrible taste in entertainment.