Wildhack Needs To...... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Needs To......

I did until last night. I think last nights performance might finally bring JB to realize it’s over. From what I hear, the team is a complete mess. We have a bunch of entitled freshman who a couple feel are better than players who are playing. Constant phone calls from parents telling JB how to do things. JB brought this on himself when he said this was his best freshman class ever. He stoked their egos and now this. Judah is the only real player in this class. I wonder if Wildhack really knows what’s going on in practice? With what happened in the women‘s program, I doubt it. In some ways, our coaching staff doesn’t deserve this, especially what our assistants are having to put up with.
I agree. Parents calling all the time also has me concerned, even with the idea of Red taking over. What happened in the past two weeks that caused things to totally implode on defense after we beat NC State? The players don’t even look like they’re trying. I guess they just lost faith and then their confidence, as the questions about the zone scheme and JB mounted. JB mentioned that the young players might also be wearing down. It’s depressing to see the senior leaders not step up and demand that their teammates play hard and play with some pride.

Last edited:
If - IF - JB is going to step out he needs to do it in a manner that will allow the assistants to find other jobs. I think Wildhack will take the easy way out and tab Red who will keep the current staff in place, but if it is a fresh start that should speed up JB's move just to give loyal soldiers a chance to land on their feet.

If - IF - JB is going to step out he needs to do it in a manner that will allow the assistants to find other jobs. I think Wildhack will take the easy way out and tab Red who will keep the current staff in place, but if it is a fresh start that should speed up JB's move just to give loyal soldiers a chance to land on their feet.
Loyalty and protecting assistant coaches should not factor into the next coaching decision. Find the next head coach first, best person for the job, then let the chips fall with the staff. We all appreciate what GMac, Red and Griff did as players here but the reality is they have been the staff that has led to the worst performances in the past 50 years.

The program is inbred.

I think Red will eventually be a great coach, but it cant be here.

New blood is mandatory.

The hiring internal ship has sailed a while ago.
We need some excitement, some life back into the program.
Unfortunately and I do mean unfortunately, the current staff doesn’t bring that. I love those guys. It’s called tough love for a reason. We need to make decisions on what is best for Syracuse University Basketball and not what’s best for everyone’s feelings and nostalgia.

tell Jimmy a coaching search will begin on such and such a date.

Jimmy can then choose to honorably resign before that date or know he will be fired.

And, most importantly, Jimmy CANNOT be part of the search Committee.
Wildhack seriously needs to resign. He has been a failure period. The big 3 suck worse than almost anytime in history, why are the drum beats not for him to go? There has been no improvement in any area except soccer. Start with the AD and go from there, idc about his ESPN history, its done absolutely no good for us.

I did until last night. I think last nights performance might finally bring JB to realize it’s over. From what I hear, the team is a complete mess. We have a bunch of entitled freshman who a couple feel are better than players who are playing. Constant phone calls from parents telling JB how to do things. JB brought this on himself when he said this was his best freshman class ever. He stoked their egos and now this. Judah is the only real player in this class. I wonder if Wildhack really knows what’s going on in practice? With what happened in the women‘s program, I doubt it. In some ways, our coaching staff doesn’t deserve this, especially what our assistants are having to put up with.
If these kids have their parents calling in, they have bigger problems than playing time…

Loyalty and protecting assistant coaches should not factor into the next coaching decision. Find the next head coach first, best person for the job, then let the chips fall with the staff. We all appreciate what GMac, Red and Griff did as players here but the reality is they have been the staff that has led to the worst performances in the past 50 years.
I was talking about JB and his treatment of his assistants, and the timing of his departure, in terms of giving his assistants time. Another selfish act by JB if he leaves those three dangling. Nothing to do with the search.

This is honestly an easy conversation. I know it seems impossible to the average person, but if you deal with managing and motivating people for a living, this talk is in your toolbox. I've led and motivated people for the better part of 30 years at this point so I have some experience in this.

The key is to sit down, after the season and have an honest conversation. With an employee like JB who has been a good- great employee but has exceeded his shelf life, the conversation should be mostly positive while leaving the conversation and being on the same page.

During this talk lead with your admiration and all the positives. You stress that you care deeply for this person and value what their legacy is and can still be. You emphasize that you acknowledge this is not the way that they would have scripted it to end, but that you need them to understand the impact on not only the business but themselves. Present that you would like them to be involved in the search and that the current staff will be a part of the interview process. Close with the fact that you always want them to be a part of what was accomplished and you look forward to seeing them be a part of the media community and an ambassador to the program.

If you're Wildhack this is EXTRA easy as you left as head of ESPN...

Have this conversation a week after the ACCT loss to give a calmer perspective a chance to take over.

Last edited:
My predictions, none informed by anything other than observations and gut feelings:

1) Wake Forest is JAB's last game.
Between the buying of the lake house, the last year of Joe and Jesse, Coach K had last season as his swan song, the addition to the ring of honor, the big grand finale of the Wake game for the national championship, the raising of Hak and Gmac's jerseys, etc., no major 2023 recruits, it's just lining up to be the last game.​
I really wish that we were going into this game on a high and he would have 30,000 at the dome. But he repeatedly said he wasn't going to go on a farewell tour and having this be the 20th anniversary of his Natty is the smokescreen. But I fear that there might be less than 15k there, which sucks.​
2) The next head coach search will happen, but it's Red.
Most everything Wildhack has done on the Hill has been to promote from within. From the football staff to other sports. The first choice is to promote from within.​
3) GMac will leave. Griff stays.
I think he takes a HC position somewhere in northeast at a lower D1 school. Some think the Gaels may be looking for a new HC if Rick P runs to Georgetown.​
4) The roster looks vastly different next season.
I think four players transfer/pro and three graduate. There will be lots of playing time. This freshman class was supposed to be JAB's gift to the next HC. He was going to take the lumps with developing a raw young team and hand off an intact roster. But while it was a nice plan, it's not how things work today in college basketball. They weren't going to get those mid-to-late Top 100 kids in 2022 to commit to a program where no one knew if the HC was retiring or not. They got Judah, a probable 1 and done, and a pile of recruits with potential but not much else.​
5) Next season is going to be rough.

This is honestly an easy conversation. I know it seems impossible to the average person, but if you deal with managing and motivating people for a living, this talk is in your toolbox. I've led and motivated people for the better part of 30 years at this point so I have some experience in this.

The key is to sit down, after the season and have an honest conversation. With an employee like JB who has been a good- great employee but has exceeded his shelf life, the conversation should be mostly positive while leaving the conversation and being on the same page.

During this talk lead with your admiration and all the positives. You stress that you care deeply for this person and value what their legacy is and can still be. You emphasize that you acknowledge this is not the way that they would have scripted it to end, but that you need them to understand the impact on not only the business but themselves. Present that you would like them to be involved in the search and that the current staff will be a part of the interview process. Close with the fact that you always want them to be a part of what was accomplished and you look forward to seeing them be a part of the media community and an ambassador to the program.

If you're Wildhack this is EXTRA easy as you left as head of ESPN...

Have this conversation a week after the AACT loss to give a calmer perspective a chance to take over.
He absolutely does NOT need to be involved in the search. He had that opportunity for years and was too focused on himself and coaching his boys. The current state of the program is a direct result of his staying too long and clearing out the roster to ensure he coached his boys and they were the focal point for last season.

He got what he wanted - it ended up being a terrible season and left the roster where it is for this season.

He needs to not be involved in any search for his replacement.

If these kids have their parents calling in, they have bigger problems than playing time…
As a current parent to a College Lacrosse player... let me level set for you. Parents are a HORROR show in this era. Helicopter to the max. They have bred, and empowered, entitled spoiled offspring. they push and advocate for them. Most of these kids cant wipe their asses without their parents being involved. Now add a potential payday to this... Its VERY VERY bad

Last edited:
Disappointing because the only thing that could keep that class together would be themselves wanting to play with and for each other. Bell, Taylor, Brown and Judah all get good minutes for freshmen. I guess Bell, Taylor and Brown could find something to complain about, but they'd be wrong. Carey redshirted. I guess that leaves Quadir. I think he could be a great player for us, and it would really suck if he's unhappy and intends to transfer. He looks dialed in every game.

It’s depressing to see the senior leaders not step up and demand that their teammates play hard and play with some pride.
Agree. Senior leadership absent on this team.
Seen no inclination to lead in Jesse this season.
Joe does some clapping, etc -but pretty much no obvious leadership out on the floor.
Leaders on the floor are a huge asset for coaches-
This team needed senior leadership more than most.

2) The next head coach search will happen, but it's Red.
Most everything Wildhack has done on the Hill has been to promote from within. From the football staff to other sports. The first choice is to promote from within.
I believe the preference for most organizations is to hire from within but I am not reading this situation the same way. This is a program in disarray and in need of a reboot and JW clearly sees that. Just my opinion but I don't think he would prioritize an internal promotion in this situation. He has proven that he is willing to go outside and get guys with the talent that will advance the programs. From Anae, to Beck, to Rocky Long and all the other football hires recently - he has paid to get the best talent. I think the recent track record with football hires should be a sign that he is willing to pay for the best possible candidate that we can afford. He will put on a National search and the only way we settle on an internal hire is if we strike out. Just my opinion.

He screwed Hop, why would it be any different now.

I don't know how he could come back? 1 game after saying we cant play man, we are a zone team, that's our defense.

He had to cave and play man. After being stubborn for so long, that's admitting defeat.

What's he going to do for the remaining games? Is he gonna take the time to teach man next year at age 79? I just cant see it.

How is JW gonna sell that to the fanbase for next year? Did you see the attendance last night? The fan base has spoken.

Jim Boeheim has said words to the effect that he intends to coach as long as he enjoys it.
Can't believe last night was very enjoyable.
And there doesn't appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel.
A retirement announcement after the ACC tournament wouldn't be a surprise.

It would be nice if the team realizes they need to play with some pride.
Play hard and beat Wake Forest with the 2003 team there.
Maybe Carmelo or someone can remind them of who they can be.

There's one more game in the regular season.
Let's beat Wake.

It's not about "or else". It's about being standup and not cowardly. If you're going to fire him, have the guts to fire him. You tell him, "we're going to let you go in 3 days (or pick a number, it doesn't really matter). We would prefer if you retire first." If he doesn't want to get fired, he retires.
It's the same result, but how you do it matters on a human level - not just for the current situation, but for future ones as well.
A wise person once told me to always try to give people a way to save face.

I totally agree with this. But it's up to Boeheim to accept reality.
95% don't want him to stay. 95% want him gone.

I see no path to relevancy unless there’s a new HC before the end of March. JB won’t put the work in and a new coach does need some time to hit the portal and maybe bring in a frosh or two, let alone convince anyone to stay.

If I’m a current SU player, I would have no desire to return to play for JB. A new coach, maybe, but they have to see what’s coming in terms of ability to compete.

I agree. That's why they need to get somebody who is a quality coach with a coaching record that we can point out to the guys they want to keep, and the new guys they need to get from the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom