Wildhack Presser | Streaming 11 AM Monday | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser | Streaming 11 AM Monday

Last edited:

"I want to thank Coach Babers for his commitment to our University. He is a class act and that made the decision yesterday more difficult," Athletic Director John Wildhack said of the firing of Coach Babers.

"We've played meaningful games in November, but the performance and success in November hasn't been good enough," Wildhack stated on one of the specific reasons for the decision on Coach Babers.

Thanks Nunz for stepping in. Preparing for Wake & a possible bowl game.

Staff has contacted all the recruits.

"The search is underway. It started yesterday and it will be thorough, but efficient as possible," Wildhack said on the new head coaching search for Syracuse.

Wildhack says he will be using a search firm. Syracuse will use Bob Beaudine's search firm.

"I met with Dino before the season and after the Florida State game and told him the benchmark was 7-5. Once that was unattainable we decided to move on," Wildhack said on the reasoning of the timing for the dismissal.

"I did give Coach Babers to option of coaching the last game of the season, but he declined that opportunity and I respect that," Wildhack said on what transpired with his conversation with Dino.

Wildhack on the next coach: Good leader. It's a complex operation to be a head coach. Clear communicator. One who can develop player. Who has that eye for talent? Who can develop that talent? Someone who can build a staff and represent university values.

"It doesn't have to be a direct connection to the 315, but experience in the northeast is important. The relationships within the region will play a factor in the coaching search," Wildhack said on what they're looking for in a new head coach.

Wildhack on naming Campanile as the interim: He's done it at Rutgers. NJ recruiting factored in as well.

"There is not a definitive date but I am aware of December 4th," Wildhack said on the timeline of the coaching se

Wildhack on program expectations for next coach: When you start a season the goal is to play a 13th game. I expect us, and we can be a winning program. "We're not that far away ... It's not like this is a total reboot."

Wildhack: "We've continued strategic investment in the program... What are the resources you have, the you need to be the most impactful."

Wildhack on the university's commitment: The programs that have the most money doesn't always equate to success. Says he looks to make investments that have a good ROI

Wildhack answers NIL question about players who left, where they went, and how much they play. "We've had donors step up... quietly, but in a significant way... the narrative is we're behind, but that's not accurate." Continues that they can compete in NIL with their level.

"There is a commitment from the university to this program. Again this is not a total reboot. If you can keep the nucleus together and add to it we can win in the ACC," Wildhack spoke on his pitch to potential head coaching candidates. "What I'm enthused about is the number and quality (of people who have reached out about the coaching position)."

"We worked hard internally to deal with the buyout money," Wildhack said on collecting the money to pay the buyout of coach Dino Babers.

Wildhack on the end of Babers' tenure: "You have to go back to November. You look at Boston College, that's a very winnable game...Saturday was a very winnable game. If we win those games we are not here having this conversation." Wildhack on the difference between a 6-6 season and 7-5 season: He refers back to November losses. "That's the difference."

"Either head coaching experience or coordinator experience. Somebody who has the leadership and communication skills," Wildhack reiterated on the qualities he is looking for in a new head coach.

"It's hard. Coach Babers was their leader and they looked up to him. I acknowledge that it was a tough day yesterday. My two messages to the team yesterday was take care of your brothers," Wildhack said on the morale of the team and his message to the players yesterday.

Wildhack said he didn't extend Babers after last year's bowl game because he wanted to see more. Said the 5-7 to 7-5 turnaround was good, but he wanted to see the program return to 7-5 or better. Wildhack says he doesn't think Babers lost assistants due to a lack of certainty to the head coach's future.

Axe finishes up by asking a question about revealing the names of anonymous donors. Because of course he does.

Last edited:
The most interesting quote of the day to me was referencing a coach with “special teams” experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom