William Patterson to the Portal | Syracusefan.com

William Patterson to the Portal

From the top rope! (not surprising to me though)

200.gif

Can't see many kids in today's environment being a
third option in any program. The musical chairs that
is the portal makes it as easy as clicking a button.

Surprised he waited this long.

This one's surprising to me. A Raw prospect whose another McLeod injury from seeing a bunch of time as the backup
I disagree there tbh. Could also mean someone else is coming in at the 4/5. Wish we could have seen him play though, and would have been totally good with him staying. He'll go down as one of the all time forgettable SU players now (granted a RS isn't really fair, but still).

With McLeod recuperating from injury, does that mean we should be looking to the portal for another center?

I disagree there tbh. Could also mean someone else is coming in at the 4/5. Wish we could have seen him play though, and would have been totally good with him staying. He'll go down as one of the all time forgettable SU players now (granted a RS isn't really fair, but still).

Certainly could mean that and if that's the case him jumping in makes sense. However, that dies not appear to be the case which to me make this decision to jump in surprising as he was gonna be in the mix especially with McLeods injury and foul history.

Certainly could mean that and if that's the case him jumping in makes sense. However, that dies not appear to be the case which to me make this decision to jump in surprising as he was gonna be in the mix especially with McLeods injury and foul history.
Wild guess...Patterson might already have a sense of where he is going and/or who might be coming.

I think the fanbase over-estimated Patterson, based upon Griff's remarks earlier this season.

Would prefer to have him, but this doesn't seem like a big deal -- Patterson developing into a contributor here was no sure thing. He was the definition of a project -- and in the era of the portal, P5 teams don't necessarily have the luxury of developing projects over time.

Red now has the flexibility to now have a scholarship at his disposal to pursue a more experienced, proven big from the portal more suited to helping the team next year.

Last edited:
Hoping for $20K from Kent State or thereabouts

I think the fanbase over-estimated Patterson, based upon Griff's remarks earlier this season.

Would prefer to have him, but this doesn't seem like a big deal -- Patterson developing into a contributor here was no sure thing. He was the definition of a project -- and in the era of the portal, P5 teams don't necessarily have the luxury of developing projects over time.

Red now has the flexibility to now have a scholarship at his disposal to pursue a more experienced, proven big from the portal more suited to helping the team next year.
I think this could mean that freeman will get some minutes at the 5 when Cuse goes small/more offense ?? They are an injury away from Freeman being the backup 5

I never understood his recruitment. It never really made sense, with PC already here.

Im thinking it was one that JB liked and JB thought he was still going to be around for another year or more.

Of the last 2 recruiting classes of solely HS players, 6 out of the 7 have left. Only Chris Bell remains from JBs Best Recruiting Class ever.

I think this could mean that freeman will get some minutes at the 5 when Cuse goes small/more offense ?? They are an injury away from Freeman being the backup 5

Davis, more likely.

He's a fourth year collegiate player, who started out at Providence. Have to envision that he'd be the break glass in case of emergency 5, behind Lamkin / McLeod.

But to your point -- in small ball matchups, Davis or Freeman could both play there.

Best wishes to him. He is extremely raw and really cannot help a team trying to regain its past stature. Shedding guys like him and Carey and going after "ready" centers will help us get and retain forwards and have them not worry about playing out of position. Nothing against the kid, but I've been waiting and wanting for this.

Between Donnie and Davis at the 4, and Lampkin and McLeod at the 5 - it’s pretty obvious the minutes are spoken for

But If you can convince a 2024 HS kid (or a 2025 that reclasses) to come now with the promise that next year, all 4 guys ahead of him are all leaving and he’ll have a big role…. He’d be used only in emergencies this year. A kid that can play at this level. That would be the ideal use of this scholarship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom