William Patterson to the Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

William Patterson to the Portal

I never understood his recruitment. It never really made sense, with PC already here.

Im thinking it was one that JB liked and JB thought he was still going to be around for another year or more.

Of the last 2 recruiting classes of solely HS players, 6 out of the 7 have left. Only Chris Bell remains from JBs Best Recruiting Class ever.

Patterson was a great fit [on paper] for the defensive system run by the previous coach. 7-2, good lateral mobility, rim protection.

But his development seemed to stagnate over his last two years of HS, and his recruiting rating dipped accordingly. JB had no other recruits lined up for class of 2023 [as a lame duck], so I don't fault Red for bringing him in.

He reminds me a lot of Peter Carey, in that he's a good athlete, and he's got physical tools, but was too skinny / weak for the ACC. Maybe he'll develop into something [although now that won't be here], or maybe he won't be able to actualize the potential of that size / athleticism.

But also like Peter Carey, he was pretty much a warm body with upside. Should be fairly easily replaced.

The big that I want as a power forward/center would be Supreme Cook from Georgetown. I know it’s Georgetown, but look at the skills that he has as a reserve PF/C.

Big, strong body. Very good around the rim with good footwork. Showed a few good step through moves.

Davis, more likely.

He's a fourth year collegiate player, who started out at Providence. Have to envision that he'd be the break glass in case of emergency 5, behind Lamkin / McLeod.

But to your point -- in small ball matchups, Davis or Freeman could both play there.
You may be right but yuck! How are teams supposed to use roster spots 10-12 now? How do major D1 programs develop anyone anymore? Personally I never understood sitting on a bench for 2-3 years instead of going where you can actually play. I think what we are seeing is that the kids that went and played for 3 years are better than the kids that signed with a bigger school and sat. The days of redshirting may be over unless it comes with a big check.

You may be right but yuck! How are teams supposed to use roster spots 10-12 now? How do major D1 programs develop anyone anymore? Personally I never understood sitting on a bench for 2-3 years instead of going where you can actually play. I think what we are seeing is that the kids that went and played for 3 years are better than the kids that signed with a bigger school and sat. The days of redshirting may be over unless it comes with a big check.

My opinion only -- but I think the days of 2-3 player recruiting classes are done.

The genie is out of the bottle -- players are free to move on at any time, and they will for any of a variety of reasons. Maybe they are homesick. Maybe they don't like their coach. Maybe they want a quicker path to PT. Or maybe the excel and get poached. Whatever the cause, teams are bound to have lots of players leaving or shifting around every year, moreso than in the past.

But my guess is that you'll see the 2-3 player high school classes every year, and then see just about every team have to pursue an additional 2-4 players in the transfer portal EVERY YEAR to help fill out the roster / offset attrition.

So interesting thing about Patterson - he was the only guy in his class. That's not a successful formula. Benny was also the only guy in his class, and that flamed out spectacularly.

Gotta have at least 2 freshmen. Too difficult for a guy to go through that alone. Just an uphill battle.

I never understood his recruitment. It never really made sense, with PC already here.

Im thinking it was one that JB liked and JB thought he was still going to be around for another year or more.

Of the last 2 recruiting classes of solely HS players, 6 out of the 7 have left. Only Chris Bell remains from JBs Best Recruiting Class ever.
I know the mantra is everything is on JB, but he had to be talked into this one by Griff.

Think you're going to see the staff target a forward who is on the taller side who can slide to the 5 or small ball when needed.
You think HS or Portal?

This is the exact reason you no longer redshirt players. We could have used Patterson in a couple of spot minutes when we were in a tough spot. Red thought about it, but thought it might be in Patterson‘s best interest to keep the redshirt.
I have similar thoughts. And how does a kid get interest with no tape on him playing college ball? Would seem he falls to low level D1.

Davis, more likely.

He's a fourth year collegiate player, who started out at Providence. Have to envision that he'd be the break glass in case of emergency 5, behind Lamkin / McLeod.

But to your point -- in small ball matchups, Davis or Freeman could both play there.
People keep referring to McLeod as a viable 2nd string C. To me he is no better than the 3rd string C he was at Florida State. Hopefully Patterson leaving means a better alternative coming in from the portal to be the backup.

Maybe Red had a talk or maybe he just wants to play next year… more likely and if that’s the case then Frank Anselem says hello…as a testimony on why it’s sometimes best to wait and develop one more year before chasing playing time somewhere else.

Anyway never really got to know him here, but wish him the best.

We going to have enough players to practice?

People keep referring to McLeod as a viable 2nd string C. To me he is no better than the 3rd string C he was at Florida State. Hopefully Patterson leaving means a better alternative coming in from the portal to be the backup.

Something to note: he was hurt part of last year, and I think that his poor play over that stretch may have influenced some opinions on his capabilities / limitations.

But maybe you're right. He's either unplayable, or he was impaired and couldn't perform properly over the last month or so he was on the court, and is capable of more.

He was hurt all last year. That had a huge impact on his ability to run and jump.

I have similar thoughts. And how does a kid get interest with no tape on him playing college ball? Would seem he falls to low level D1.
Even without tape a height of 7'2" with a 7'6" wingspan will get him some interest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom