William Patterson to the Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

William Patterson to the Portal

With McLeod's health being such a big question mark we need someone who can play as much as 12 MPG if called upon, but more realistically only 5-7, if that. It doesn't necessarily need to be someone with potential to play full-time minutes in 2025-26 because Red can always go back to the portal.

He was hurt all last year. That had a huge impact on his ability to run and jump.

He got hurt in practice in January, no?

Early in the year, he looked the same as he did at FSU. Now he's coming off foot surgery as a 7'4" guy. Having any reliance on him going forward doesn't make a ton of sense. I hope Red brings in someone ready and capable of being our #2 center.

Early in the year, he looked the same as he did at FSU. Now he's coming off foot surgery as a 7'4" guy. Having any reliance on him going forward doesn't make a ton of sense. I hope Red brings in someone ready and capable of being our #2 center.
McLeod? No, he got hurt back in November and tried to play through it until an MRI revealed a fracture. He gave a full explanation of what happened in his recent interview with No Destination. That’s why he was moving well in the summer and preseason but then fell off considerably. He couldn’t move without it hurting.

Not sure if Patterson was hurt or not. Barely knew he was there with all the other distractions.

Smart move on Patterson's part. You have to get PT, even if it's at a place like MSM. Then you can moves.

Guessing Red will bring in another big and the pitch to him will be to come in and compete for the backup C role. Wouldn't be surprised if McLeod becomes 3rd string once the season starts depending on who Red brings in

Guessing Red will bring in another big and the pitch to him will be to come in and compete for the backup C role. Wouldn't be surprised if McLeod becomes 3rd string once the season starts depending on who Red brings in
I don't think McLeod would stay for 3rd string. And he's a good 2nd string guy, although I wouldn't mind if Red picks up a small-ball center for matchups against perimeter bigs.

Possible Red's going to bring in a young 3rd string center who fits better and given the ages that would block Patterson's future PT. I'd be surprised if Patterson left this year purely because he wants more PT. Seems like he should be focusing on developing, and he'll have trouble transferring anywhere good given he didn't play and wasn't highly ranked in HS.

Wondering if he was nudged in this direction.

He was hurt all last year. That had a huge impact on his ability to run and jump.
All I'm saying is that I saw nothing in his play anytime last year that showed he was better than the 3rd string C we saw at Florida S. 100% healthy is not goingto make him that much better. And to top it off, a 7'5" 25 yo should be playing pro ball somewhere if he exhibited any talent. It really feels like he was a desperation grab to replace Jesse when Jesse left so late in the portal process.

I don't think McLeod would stay for 3rd string. And he's a good 2nd string guy, although I wouldn't mind if Red picks up a small-ball center for matchups against perimeter bigs.

Possible Red's going to bring in a young 3rd string center who fits better and given the ages that would block Patterson's future PT. I'd be surprised if Patterson left this year purely because he wants more PT. Seems like he should be focusing on developing, and he'll have trouble transferring anywhere good given he didn't play and wasn't highly ranked in HS.

Wondering if he was nudged in this direction.
Davis can be small ball center

My opinion only -- but I think the days of 2-3 player recruiting classes are done.

The genie is out of the bottle -- players are free to move on at any time, and they will for any of a variety of reasons. Maybe they are homesick. Maybe they don't like their coach. Maybe they want a quicker path to PT. Or maybe the excel and get poached. Whatever the cause, teams are bound to have lots of players leaving or shifting around every year, moreso than in the past.

But my guess is that you'll see the 2-3 player high school classes every year, and then see just about every team have to pursue an additional 2-4 players in the transfer portal EVERY YEAR to help fill out the roster / offset attrition.
its going to be the coaches that can hit the ground running from the first game with a totally new roster who shine in this era...

didnt happen in reds first year...hopefully does in his second

I was wondering that. He's smaller than Maliq and his wingspan is a few inches less.
yeah i dont see it

no knock on davis in general but maliq got lit up a lot vs certain teams and davis is smaller than him,,,cant see davis as a good center

the ACC is big boy basketball...size matters

No. See his interview. Hurt himself in November.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom