"Wolves do not fret over the opinion of sheep" | Syracusefan.com

"Wolves do not fret over the opinion of sheep"

Well they do get alot of hate here... and I imagine on other boards as well (I would imagine Kansas Jayhawks). Like all teams that get some hype (which they do), the hate starts to come with it.

I have no problem with people saying they do not deserve a #1 seed... they have not done what is necessary to meet the burden of proof. Although they are certainly getting it.

Wichita St did not schedule enough OOC to make a claim that it truly deserves the #1... at the same time I am not going to condemn them for that. I respect the fact that they schedule to try to make the tournament rather than get a higher pod seed. That is what they should do IMO/ But the years that you may be great, your steadfast approach on home/home will not help you. I am sure deep down Marshall knows this, but he, like any coach at this time of year, is going to be put up a strong front.

But I don't understand why people think they suck just because they are from a mid-major. The endless claims that they will lose in the second round.

We know they are good - teams don't just run 34-0 without being at least good - but elite? Not sure, I like to look at KP to gauge if a team may or may not be for real.. they are at #4 in KP.

With Butler, VCU, Mason, Butler, and Wichita St all making the final four since 2006 from mid-range seeds (and no major conference teams making it from mid range seeds), I just don't think we should sleep on any quality mid-majors.

Last edited:
I'm no Wichita hater but Marshall's been coming off like kind of a dick lately. Today at halftime they were up 10. Reporter asked him about making adjustments and he looked up at the scoreboard. Win something more substantial than a weak MVC then you can act like that.

Well they do get alot of hate here... and I imagine on other boards as well (I would imagine Kansas Jayhawks). Like all teams that get some hype (which they do), the hate starts to come with it.

I have no problem with people saying they do not deserve a #1 seed... they have not done what is necessary to meet the burden of proof. Although they are certainly getting it.

Wichita St did not schedule enough OOC to make a claim that it truly deserves the #1... at the same time I am not going to condemn them for that. I respect the fact that they schedule to try to make the tournament rather than get a higher pod seed. That is what they should do IMO/ But the years that you may be great, your steadfast approach on home/home will not help you. I am sure deep down Marshall knows this, but he, like any coach at this time of year, is going to be put up a strong front.

But I don't understand why people think they suck just because they are from a mid-major. The endless claims that they will lose in the second round.

We know they are good - teams don't just run 34-0 without being at least good - but elite? Not sure, I like to look at KP to gauge if a team may or may not be for real.. they are at #4 in KP.

With Butler, VCU, Mason, Butler, and Wichita St all making the final four since 2006 from mid-range seeds (and no major conference teams making it from mid range seeds), I just don't think we should sleep on any quality mid-majors.

I don't think people are saying they suck. They obviously don't. They are 34-0 and were in the Final Four last season. That said, I don't think they make the Sweet Sixteen this year. They will run into a bad match-up or a team that has more fight than a MVC team...and it'll be G'night Shockers. If they make the Elite Eight, then they truly have a chance. That'll prove something to me.

I don't think people are saying they suck. They obviously don't. They are 34-0 and were in the Final Four last season. That said, I don't think they make the Sweet Sixteen this year. They will run into a bad match-up or a team that has more fight than a MVC team...and it'll be G'night Shockers. If they make the Elite Eight, then they truly have a chance. That'll prove something to me.

I think people need to separate two things here, their body of work, and their talent level. Their body of work isn't very impressive. From a talent standpoint, we saw what they did last year, they are capable of another deep run.

I'm no Wichita hater but Marshall's been coming off like kind of a dick lately. Today at halftime they were up 10. Reporter asked him about making adjustments and he looked up at the scoreboard. Win something more substantial than a weak MVC then you can act like that.
For a wolf, he sure seems to notice and respond to every sheep comment.

It remains to be seen just how good Wichita St is.

But two things are true:

1. They have smoked just about everybody they have played.

2. That was a GREAT freakin line!

I thought our SOS was bad at 61 but the shockers are at 94. Apparently not that bad as last year Gonzaga had a 97 SOS and that was deemed the worst SOS of any number one seed in twenty years ...

Edit - the Zags lost to the shockers in the second round, forgot about that. Shockers ended the year at number 39 SOS.

WSU deserves the #1 seed and the great thing is, we will see how good they are very quickly in the 8/9 game which could be their toughest match up they have had this year. They are a good team, I just don't know how good, will be fun to watch for sure. I remember when Gonzaga did this, now they schedule tougher OOC, I expect WSU to start doing the same very soon.

I don't always like teams like this in the tournament because they haven't been tested enough in close games.. Experience is huge here but I think WSU is good enough to win it all, I really think they are as good as any of the other 8-9 teams that could win it all other than Florida who seems to have separated but they can be beaten as the SEC just isn't that good The parody is ridiculous these days, any 1 seed could very very easily get dropped by an 8-9.

That said, right now Florida is looking like last years Louisville. They are big, athletic, senior leaders and can shoot. They also get after it on defense. They will be tough to beat

Last edited:
I have a feeling that wichita is going to make all of their haters look bad in a couple of weeks.
Yep. They are really good. Marshall is just giving his team confidence in the face of all the doubters.

" Wolves do not fret over the opinion of sheep "

Yeah I saw that, I couldn't believe he said it. I thought it was a stupid thing to say as a head coach.

couldn't agree more. I still think that the "epicenter of college basketball" comment was hilarious (albeit unintentionally so, on Marshall's part), though.

Also, was that quote from Denzel Washington in Training Day?

That's all perfectly fair. The #4 in KP is enough validation for me. And the fact that it's harder than people to realize to beat ~#100ish ranked teams on the road. They're obviously not a fraud.

I also don't think it's unfair to question their resume. It's great that they scheduled Tennessee & Alabama and maybe they weren't as good as people expected, but them the breaks. I've still yet to hear a coach say "we thought __ was going to stink when we scheduled them but they ended up being really good!" when one of their opponents exceeded expectations.

rabid sheep.jpg

But when they lose...

It remains to be seen just how good Wichita St is.

But two things are true:

1. They have smoked just about everybody they have played.

2. That was a GREAT freakin line!
That line has been around for centuries.

I hate on Wichita State a lot but i'll admit that they have a good team. They have some serious talent and experience. I absolutely think they are one of the 8 or 9 teams that can win it all.

That being said, the bravado coming from a team that just beat Indiana State to win their conference is absolutely ridiculous. Their trap game was against Evansville...seriously? Evansville? Maybe it was Bradley, those pesky Braves. Their best win is against St Louis. Just stop. Prove yourself in the Tournament. Stop living off a Cinderella run and your disgustingly easy schedule.

They just won their conference tournament beating a team that isnt anywhere near as good as the middle of the pack bubble team we beat yesterday on the road.

I hate on Wichita State a lot but i'll admit that they have a good team. They have some serious talent and experience. I absolutely think they are one of the 8 or 9 teams that can win it all.

That being said, the bravado coming from a team that just beat Indiana State to win their conference is absolutely ridiculous. Their trap game was against Evansville...seriously? Evansville? Maybe it was Bradley, those pesky Braves. Their best win is against St Louis. Just stop. Prove yourself in the Tournament. Stop living off a Cinderella run and your disgustingly easy schedule.

They just won their conference tournament beating a team that isnt anywhere near as good as the middle of the pack bubble team we beat yesterday on the road.

I'm starting to get some of the hate for WSU. The other wolves have been battling each other while they've been let loose in a hen house and they're talking so much s***. They're a really good team, but I'm really looking forward to seeing them lose.

Just out of curiosity, exactly how many ADs or head coaches do you all think answered the phone when they saw Wichita St. calling? I imagine very few people want to schedule an OOC game against a team that just made the final four and looked pretty damn good doing it.

Too many folks questioning their talents. Sure they played some lower teams, but they mostly beat the snot out of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom