Word leaking out that Doug is staying... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Word leaking out that Doug is staying...

Thats the correlation- it takes time to recruit.

I can see that. Although the Dome started being built in 1979 it wasn't a reality until 1980. So Tim Green and Blaise Winter were the first of the Dome-era recruits.

But the locker room "improvements" we are discussing here on on the same scale as the Dome was in 1980. It was then a huge deal. There were few Domed stadiums anywhere and none on college campuses.

Upgraded locker rooms and football offices are just part of the whole facilities thing. You also have to include the entire campus ... and SU has an advantage there over Rutgers and Louisville and Temple and many others.

They're all in Buffalo, waiting for Doug to leave the interview. No doubt.

Hopefully they are at the Pink Flamingo knocking a couple back and listening to tunes.

You sure about that?

A smart man once said that loyalty goes both ways.

I said that firing him was a legitimate course of action (happens in business all the time). I still believe that, depending on all the circumstances (how much the program was being hurt, how likely it was that Doug would get a job, etc). I do not believe any coach who interviews for another job deserves to be fired.

In your opinion, should we be conducting a pre-emptive search now that we know he wants to leave? Or did we already start one? And if we did, and we found the right coach and the program was being hurt by Marrone's public campaigning for a new job... Why not cut your losses and move on?

One of the key justifications for Marrone's hire was that he WANTED to be here. As far as I'm concerned, now that he doesn't, he's simply not a good enough coach to risk the program over. The program is bigger than Marrone.

I said that firing him was a legitimate course of action (happens in business all the time). I still believe that, depending on all the circumstances (how much the program was being hurt, how likely it was that Doug would get a job, etc). I do not believe any coach who interviews for another job deserves to be fired.

In your opinion, should we be conducting a pre-emptive search now that we know he wants to leave? Or did we already start one? And if we did, and we found the right coach and the program was being hurt by Marrone's public campaigning for a new job... Why not cut your losses and move on?

One of the key justifications for Marrone's hire was that he WANTED to be here. As far as I'm concerned, now that he doesn't, he's simply not a good enough coach to risk the program over. The program is bigger than Marrone.

Not good enough? He's being given serious consideration by the NFL, and he's not good enough for Syracuse University?

Yeah that makes sense.

There isn't a single VIABLE candidate that anyone with sense would preemptively fire Marrone for.

If Gross isn't working his contingency plan right now, he's the one that should be fired.

It's only fluid on the public side.

If DM is staying, I would guess that his recruiting targets have been notified directly.
Or he knew where the recruits were going before he jumped into the NFL fray.

I said that firing him was a legitimate course of action (happens in business all the time). I still believe that

Good lord, this again.

Or he knew where the recruits were going before he jumped into the NFL fray.

I'm starting to think this. Figured he knew EO was going Clemson. DM knew job openings would be there after last week of season and started this ruse. Was reading some comments on another board and maybe this is how it's going down for a money play for DM. Crappy timing, but of he knew EO was gone the only breakage might be laray

I didn't say he isn't good enough for Syracuse. He clearly is. I think he's done a very good job. He's not good enough to sit idly by while he has his agents announce to the world that he's available for anyone that's interested in interviewing him.

You're probably right about available candidates. I said the course of action was legitimate, not something that should definitely be done. It depends on the circumstances of the situation.

Let's say we are right back here next year with Marrone pimping himself to anyone and everyone (including other colleges... Like Wisconsin this year), and gross has worked his contingency... Are you saying that NO MATTER the circumstances the school should just wait out Marrone's job search?

Not good enough? He's being given serious consideration by the NFL, and he's not good enough for Syracuse University?

Yeah that makes sense.

There isn't a single VIABLE candidate that anyone with sense would preemptively fire Marrone for.

If Gross isn't working his contingency plan right now, he's the one that should be fired.

If he's back here, he will be under a new contract that will almost certaintly include a substantial buy out on the front end. It's in SU's interest to lock him up near term, and build flexibilty three or four years down the road.

Disagree. If he's back, it's because he didn't get the job. He got a contract extension weeks ago.

If he's back here, he will be under a new contract that will almost certaintly include a substantial buy out on the front end. It's in SU's interest to lock him up near term, and build flexibilty three or four years down the road.

Disagree. If he's back, it's because he didn't get the job. He got a contract extension weeks ago.

Sorry. He got a contract ext mid year (before they started winning) with small bump until 2014 and after Cantor & Gross leave. They were leaving it to the new admin to decide after that. If he comes back it will be corrected to reflect what has recently happened (winning, Pinstripe, NFL) according to Bees.

I didn't say anything about why he would be back, I was talking about the circumstances under which he would be under contract and why he wouldn't just be doing the samething next year. You think that just because there is an extension in place they can revisit his compensation.

If the school is interested in keeping him, they restructure his deal with a market rate salary and a front end buy out.

If the school is interested in keeping him, they restructure his deal with a market rate salary and a front end buy out.

I certainly hope so. It would be a sign of respect to be paid a competitive wage equal to his peers. That respect is missing by a lot of people including many on this Board, fan base, University, community. He is close to sealing the deal with the Bills.

The NFL highly respects him - wouldn't anyone be more attracted to those that respect you the most? Why keep fighting against a losing uphill battle when you have already won the battle in the NFL?

Really? Buffalo is interviewing Mike McCoy and Lovie Smith this weekend.
Yea, as a Bills fan I have been checking updates and see nothing about Buffalo and Marrone except that they possibly will interview him at some point but he hardly seems anywhere near their top choice.

With some increased $$$$ for the assistants

Sorry. He got a contract ext mid year (before they started winning) with small bump until 2014 and after Cantor & Gross leave. They were leaving it to the new admin to decide after that. If he comes back it will be corrected to reflect what has recently happened (winning, Pinstripe, NFL) according to Bees.

He didn't get a 1 year extension.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom