worst 50 game stretch in JB era | Syracusefan.com

worst 50 game stretch in JB era

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...tch_in_jim_boeheim_era.html#incart_river_home

ironically, I was thinking about this exact same thing (although not to 50 games, just since the 25-0 start) in the shower this morning. I was actually writing on the glass the records I could remember off the top of my head - so I am very glad and also very weirded out to find this article, only hours later but not even a day or 2 after a loss. 3 days! How random is that!?

EDIT TO THREAD TITLE: Should read "worst 50 game stretch in JB era"

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...tch_in_jim_boeheim_era.html#incart_river_home

ironically, I was thinking about this exact same thing (although not to 50 games, just since the 25-0 start) in the shower this morning. I was actually writing on the glass the records I could remember off the top of my head - so I am very glad and also very weirded out to find this article, only hours later but not even a day or 2 after a loss. 3 days! How random is that!?

In many ways, it has been a frustrating 2 full years [spanning parts of three different seasons] since that 25-0 start. Lots of negative has occurred since.
  • Following up that 25-0 start with a 3-6 record that culminated in a first round ACC tourney loss / 2nd round NCAA tourney loss
  • Getting inordinantly hammered by the NCAA
  • Ennis / Grant leaving early
  • Missing out on Thomas Bryant
  • Self-imposed post-season ban
  • McCullough tearing his ACL
  • McCullough subsequently leaving early, after only playing 9 games
  • Losing out on Diagne, who would have really helped this team, due to NCAA clearinghouse
  • JB's suspension and vacated wins
  • A second straight year of lackluster OOC play
Now, there has been some good, as well. Battle committing here was huge. Chukwu is both literally and figuratively huge, in terms of being a great fit for our zone system. Getting a scholarship back per year was also positive.

But in the main, you're right -- in January 2014, we were 25-0 and ranked #1 in the country. Been mostly downhill from there.

Last edited:
In many ways, it has been a frustrating 2 full years [spanning parts of three different seasons] since that 25-0 start. Lots of negative has occurred since.
  • Following up that 25-0 start with a 3-6 record that culminated in a first round ACC tourney loss / 2nd round NCAA tourney loss
  • Getting inordinantly hammered by the NCAA
  • Self-imposed post-season ban
  • Losing out on Diagne, who would have really helped this team, due to NCAA clearinghouse
  • JB's suspension and vacated wins
  • A second straight year of lackluster OOC play
Now, there has been some good, as well. Battle committing here was huge. Chukwu is both literally and figuratively huge, in terms of being a great fit for our zone system. Getting a scholarship back per year was also positive.

But in the main, you're right -- in January 2014, we were 25-0 and ranked #1 in the country. Been mostly downhill from there.

excellent rundown.

Hope next year is 2010 all over.

Also swinging and missing on Chinoso, Ron Patterson, Kaleb Joseph (though TBD), and BJ Johnson. That's a lot of spots for talent that isn't here or couldn't/can't crack the lineup. Combined with the 2 scholarship reduction, SU can't afford to have any projects not pan out or guys who can't qualify. I think the loss of Diagne really stings because it was so late in the cycle. There simply wasn't any time to get a replacement. The staff has a lot of added pressure to field the best team that they can and they have to improve in their scouting and coaching as well. There's not a lot of room for error or blackholes in the player development cycle.

Pretty amazing how quickly it went from the golden age to where we're at now.

only 1 player away from turning it back around.

Look at Ohio State and Florida. They had their golden age and neither have been relevant since 2012.

Also swinging and missing on Chinoso, Ron Patterson, Kaleb Joseph (though TBD), and BJ Johnson. That's a lot of spots for talent that isn't here or couldn't/can't crack the lineup. Combined with the 2 scholarship reduction, SU can't afford to have any projects not pan out or guys who can't qualify. I think the loss of Diagne really stings because it was so late in the cycle. There simply wasn't any time to get a replacement. The staff has a lot of added pressure to field the best team that they can and they have to improve in their scouting and coaching as well. There's not a lot of room for error or blackholes in the player development cycle.
Chris McCullough going down after 9 games last year too.

PG: Ennis, silent G
SG: Silent G, Cooney, Mali
SF: Mccullough, Mali, Lydon
PF: Grant, Lydon, Roberson
C: Coleman, Lydon, Grant, Mccullough

pretty easily #1 team in country

I doubt Grant would have stayed his SR year (assuming he would have avg'd 18+ and 10+ a game his jr year), but you could make a pretty good case that Ennis and McCullough should both be on campus still

PG: Ennis, silent G
SG: Silent G, Cooney, Mali
SF: Mccullough, Mali, Lydon
PF: Grant, Lydon, Roberson
C: Coleman, Lydon, Grant, Mccullough

pretty easily #1 team in country

I doubt Grant would have stayed his SR year (assuming he would have avg'd 18+ and 10+ a game his jr year), but you could make a pretty good case that Ennis and McCullough should both be on campus still

We do this all the time, but no top program keeps their players. NONE. If they did, Cauley-Stein a would be playing center for UK right now, around a team of Booker and the Harrison twins. Okafor, Winslow and Parker would be playing for Duke. Sam Dekker would still be at Wisconsin. Andrew Wiggins would still be at Kansas. College basketball on the whole would be better, but thats not today. The top players other years would of went to different schools, because schools like Duke, Uk,UNC, Kansas and Syracuse and so on wouldn't continuously lose their top players. There would be more "great" teams.

We're not as good because the guys we recruited that we thought would be "program guys" (patterson, Johnson, Joseph, Chino) didn't or haven't panned out to fill in with the higher end talent we have brought in.

Last edited:
only 1 player away from turning it back around.

Look at Ohio State and Florida. They had their golden age and neither have been relevant since 2012.

Sure, didn't mean to say any differently. All it takes is one guy (Battle? Chukwu?).

Little harsh on Florida though, considering they made the FF in 2014.

Unfortunately we've strung together three mediocre -poor recruiting classes from 2012-2014, and now we're seeing the results.

Unfortunately we've strung together three mediocre -poor recruiting classes from 2012-2014, and now we're seeing the results.

I guess backing off the best players the minute any other big program gets involved was a bad idea.

We got three pros in those classes. Grant/Ennis/McCullough. They all stayed a year less than expected.

The 2013 class should of been(be) better. Roberson s/b better by now, and if Johnson redshirted his first year, I bet he would of helped this year.

College basketball is about guard play. We had Ennis in 2013. The last two years our guard play has been okay. Gbinije is having an all-American level type year.

We have no rotation of guards. Until we can go 3 deep at guard we will struggle. JB is stubborn like a fox.

Grant/Ennis/McCullough. They all stayed a year less than expected
Eh, maybe Ennis, but he was all over NBA mocks in November of his freshman year. McCullough was one and done the day he signed his LOI. Grant was all over NBA mock drafts the summer before his sophomore year. SU can't be surprised when they recruit high end talent that they go to the NBA. Duke isn't. UK isn't. Kansas isn't. If Syracuse wants to be in that league, then they need to take the year-to-year approach with their top recruits. You get starters minutes your freshman year, after that, you will be recruited over. It's up to you to produce or lose your minutes.

We got three pros in those classes. Grant/Ennis/McCullough. They all stayed a year less than expected.

The 2013 class should of been(be) better. Roberson s/b better by now, and if Johnson redshirted his first year, I bet he would of helped this year.
Grant left after 2 years. I thought that was fine. Ennis leaving after 1 killed us. However after we self-imposed the ban last year I am glad both left and we got the bad sanction over with.
JB should have gone after 5th year rental guys. We needed bodies and last year he left the team short on 2 players.

McCollough leaving was a bad decision but he got the guarantee from the Nets so he left.

Grant left the minute he showed potential. Cmac...lol.

The guys who had NBA potential left the minute they were able. The guys left have consistently been behind the curve.