Class of 2020 - WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech

58, as of this week. In July.

We jumped up more than 20 spots once a prominent recruiting service took their first look at numerous of our recruits. So you'll forgive me being underwhelmed by your argument.

There are 65 power 5 teams. This stuff doesnt happen in a vacuum. Recruiting hasnt been great this year.

If we end up with a class as good as last year, I'll be pleased. But I think expectations need to be higher for the class of 2021, especially if we are coming off another good season.

There are 65 power 5 teams. This stuff doesnt happen in a vacuum. Recruiting hasnt been great this year.

If we end up with a class as good as last year, I'll be pleased. But I think expectations need to be higher for the class of 2021, especially if we are coming off another good season.
Agree. One great year won't make up for many poor seasons. SU has to prove on the field that last year wasn't a one-hit wonder. Then, the recruits will be convinced.

Some times it has nothing to do with the school or coaches. Kids face pressure from peers and family in their decision. I don't think this one is over yet either. Gowdy could be another Nunn.

We make too many excuses. We just lost a big time receiver to a school that hasn’t passed the ball in ten years. It’s a new coach with no experience at this level and SU once again couldn’t get it done. All we heard was we needed to win and we would start bringing in bigger recruits. I still don’t see it happening. It’s pretty discouraging. Gowdy was our only hope for signing a player that’s not a three star. I don’t see this class any better than last years class. I hope it gets better. Sorry to be a Debbie downer.
"Our only hope?"

Pessimistic crap. You're a better poster than that, hoopsupstate.

Some times it has nothing to do with the school or coaches. Kids face pressure from peers and family in their decision. I don't think this one is over yet either. Gowdy could be another Nunn.

There are infinite reasons why a kid picks one school over another. That doesnt change the fact that we wanted "Recruit A" and "Recruit A" chose someone else. 57 of our competitors are supposedly doing better than we are at this point. You can rationalize it anyway you want. I'm not worked up about this. Signing day, as you point out, is a ways away. I just dont like all the excuse making, and the default position that someone who poo-poos the recruiting is somehow automatically "wrong."

On the IG Live video you could literally hear every member of his family pushing for GT because "all your family is in Georgia"... think there was lots of family pressure here, but one rough season for GT may change his mind as he's too good to be waitin for a team to come around

Best of luck to this young man, these decisions must be brutal. I remember how tough it was deciding where I could go to college for the best party scene. My unofficial visits were tough on my folks. Was emotional, nerve-racking and there was lots of outside influence pulling me in every direction.

Congrats to GT... for now.

Monroe will be lurking in the background for the next 5 months... see you at the Cuse for spring ball, kid.

The Vikings were my team for years, only because my brother said he liked them. I gave up on them after that incredibly stupid Hershel Walker deal.
50 years loyal to a fault

Down year on the recruiting front continues. I'm surprised that our only big win has been Mahar. With the relative success we've had on the trail the last 3 years, i thought this year we would have had a mini breakout on the recruiting scene. Was hoping Mahar would have got the ball rolling, and Gowdy could have continued the momentum. Really surprised and can't explain the drop off we are experiencing.

This is sort of where I am at. I am not one to get all worked up over rankings and recruiting but I was expecting more this season. We have had tons of positive momentum but for some reason recruiting has been lacking "SO FAR" this cycle. I thought we would be in a better spot at this point. Can we still get there? Sure but thought our class would look different at this point in time.

So, you're suggesting that we are 58th out of 65 P5 teams, based upon the recruits we're landing?

That's funny -- in a poll released today discussed upon ESPN, we were listed as the #18 team in the country. Therein lies the discrepancy.

Our coaching staff is doing a terrific job landing athletes who enable us to compete with the top teams in our conference, and nationally.

Everyone wants to see us land more higher rated recruits. But those players are going to be what put us over the top and take things to the next level, not what is required to get us over the hump -- we're already over it. The sky is not only not falling, we're actually very close to being where we need to be. And by the way -- we're landing / have already landed difference makers on both side of the ball who are amongst the best players nationally, despite what they were rated coming out of HS.

Anyone who looks at our ratings, concludes that we're 58th out of 65 P5 teams and therefore aren't getting it done on the recruiting trail is deluded or misinformed.

Last edited:
We make too many excuses. We just lost a big time receiver to a school that hasn’t passed the ball in ten years. It’s a new coach with no experience at this level and SU once again couldn’t get it done. All we heard was we needed to win and we would start bringing in bigger recruits. I still don’t see it happening. It’s pretty discouraging. Gowdy was our only hope for signing a player that’s not a three star. I don’t see this class any better than last years class. I hope it gets better. Sorry to be a Debbie downer.
lol

Nothing more to say than that.

WR isn’t exactly a position of need. Does it improve the roster to get a high ranked guy, yep. But there a bunch of guys with two and three years of eligibility that were well regarded.

Let's be honest; we could use a real game breaker at WR, along with a guy who is a big target man.

But even more than that, we need help with the interior line on both sides of the ball. We need some big uglies.

GT is going to be lousy this year. I feel good about looking like the team with the better future, esp for WRs

Don’t take what I say. Where is this class ranked and don’t say rankings don’t mean anything?

We have some good kids, but we had kids with better offers last year.
Of course, we still have half of this class to go, and most of the commitments are camp offers.
We have been getting very good speed, but a lot of kids under the radar.
It shows that we really have to have a good start this season.
NC State on Oct 10 is shaping up as a huge game.

I guess we can hope GT has some teething problems and some kids get cold feet but it's hard to disagree with your take. It almost seems like we imagined 10 wins last year. The kids don't seem to care much. It's funny how we used to say that recruits don't care about the past when we were losing. I guess they don't care about the present much either. What I'm most worried about is Babers becoming discouraged.

So, you're suggesting that we are 58th out of 65 P5 teams, based upon the recruits we're landing?

That's funny -- in a poll released today discussed upon ESPN, we were listed as the #18 team in the country. Therein lies the discrepancy.

Our coaching staff is doing a terrific job landing athletes who enable us to compete with the top teams in our conference, and nationally.

Everyone wants to see us land more higher rated recruits. But those players are going to be what put us over the top and take things to the next level, not what is required to get us over the hump -- we're already over it. The sky is not only not falling, we're actually very close to being where we need to be. And by the way -- we're landing / have already landed difference makers on both side of the ball who are amongst the best players nationally, despite what they were rated coming out of HS.

Anyone who looks at our ratings, concludes that we're 58th out of 65 P5 teams and therefore aren't getting it done on the recruiting trail is deluded or misinformed.

I think Babers, the strength staff, etc., have done a great job coaching up what they have. They also picked up a few nice transfers to bolster the ranks in Robinson, Martin, and hopefully Adams, Alexander and Jackson. We had some great luck with injuries, and some of our opponents were in a tailspin last year.

You operate under this perpetual false equivalency that just because we are ranked, we are talented enough. I guarantee you that there isnt a coach on our staff that doesnt wish we could bring in more talent. They are offering highly thought of recruits for a reason. Berger is still a take, despite having two running backs verballed already, for a reason. There's no such thing in football as having a team that is too fast, too explosive, too strong, too fluid, etc.

Again, we do not operate in a vacuum. Just because we improved, doesnt mean FSU wont jump forward. Or Louisville. Clawson can coach. Doerean can coach. Miami and North Carolina are recruiting studs. Notre Dame and Clemson are pulling top 10 type classes. The improvement is obvious. I think Babers will have a winning program in perpetuity here now. But i think we need better players to become an annual top 25 team.

I love Taj Harris. I've been on record since I saw his HS film as saying he was the most athletic and talented receive we've had since Mike Williams (which pretty much puts him on par with any receive in my lifetime not named Marvin Harrison). It would be awesome to pair him with someone like Gowdy. Not to mention, the top kids want to play with other top kids. The gap between Gowdy and our other wide receiver recruits is immense.

I'm rambling ... here.

Last edited:
I think Babers, the strength staff, etc., have done a great job coaching up what they have. They also picked up a few nice transfers to bolster the ranks in Robinson, Martin, and hopefully Adams, Alexander and Jackson. We had some great luck with injuries, and some of our opponents were in a tailspin last year.

You operate under this perpetual false equivalency that just because we are ranked, we are talented enough. I guarantee you that there isnt a coach on our staff that doesnt wish we could bring in more talent. They are offering highly thought of recruits for a reason. Berger is still a take, despite having two running backs verballed already, for a reason.

Again, we do not operate in a vacuum. Just because we improved, doesnt mean FSU wont jump forward. Or Louisville. Clawson can coach. Doerean can coach. Miami and North Carolina are recruiting studs. Notre Dame and Clemson are pulling top 10 type classes. The improvement is obvious. I think Babers will have a winning program in perpetuity here now. But i think we need better players to become an annual top 25 team.

I love Taj Smith. I've been on record since I saw his HS film as saying he was the most athletic and talented receive we've had since Mike Williams (which pretty much puts him on par with any receive in my lifetime not named Marvin Harrison). It would be awesome to pair him with someone like Gowdy. Not to mention, the top kids want to play with other top kids. The gap between Gowdy and our other wide receiver recruits is immense.

What false equivalency? We finished last season ranked; we're ranked this preseason. That hurdle has already been overcome -- it isn't "false," it's already happened.

The coaching staff has done an incredible job turning over the roster in a short period of time. We are bigger, faster, and more athletic than we were. That isn't "false" -- it can't be disputed.

And it comes in contrast to what our recruiting rankings suggest about how our team / players should match up. If the rankings were the final determinant of our team's capabilities, then perhaps we would be in the 58th out of 65 P5 teams, as you referenced above. Why aren't we? Why are we able to go toe-to-toe with the national champion, on their turf, giving them their toughest game of the season -- despite not having a top 25 rated class?

Here's why -- because our coaching staff has brought in top tier athletes, who enable our program to go toe-to-toe with top flight competition. You talk about being impressed by Taj Harris -- how many stars did he get? Oh... 3?

If this staff has proven anything, it's that we the fanbase should trust what they are doing. Again, everyone wants to land higher rated recruits. You're right about one thing: the improvement is obvious.

Last edited:

You operate under this perpetual false equivalency that just because we are ranked, we are talented enough. I guarantee you that there isnt a coach on our staff that doesnt wish we could bring in more talent. They are offering highly thought of recruits for a reason. Berger is still a take, despite having two running backs verballed already, for a reason. There's no such thing in football as having a team that is too fast, too explosive, too strong, too fluid, etc.

I love Taj Smith. I've been on record since I saw his HS film as saying he was the most athletic and talented receive we've had since Mike Williams (which pretty much puts him on par with any receive in my lifetime not named Marvin Harrison). It would be awesome to pair him with someone like Gowdy. Not to mention, the top kids want to play with other top kids. The gap between Gowdy and our other wide receiver recruits is immense.

I'm rambling ... here.

Taj harris, smith left awhile ago. Liked him too though

What false equivalency? We finished last season ranked; we're ranked this preseason. That hurdle has already been overcome -- it isn't "false," it's already happened.

The coaching staff has done an incredible job turning over the roster in a short period of time. We are bigger, faster, and more athletic than we were. That isn't "false" -- it can't be disputed.

And it comes in contrast to what our recruiting rankings suggest about how our team / players should match up. If the rankings were the final determinant of our team's capabilities, then perhaps we would be in the 58th out of 65 P5 teams, as you referenced above. Why aren't we? Why are we able to go toe-to-toe with the national champion, on their turf, giving them their toughest game of the season -- despite not having a top 25 rated class?

Here's why -- because our coaching staff has brought in top tier athletes, who enable our program to go toe-to-toe with top flight competition. You talk about being impressed by Taj Smith -- how many stars did he get? Oh... 3?

If this staff has proven anything, it's that we the fanbase should trust what they are doing. Again, everyone wants to land higher rated recruits. You're right about one thing: the improvement is obvious.

The staff wanted Van Dyke - they didnt get him. The staff wanted Gowdy -- they didnt get him (yet). The false equivalence is thinking just because the strength staff et. al turned Josh Black into a monster, they couldnt do the same with a kid like Christian Wilkins.

I'm not concerned with star rankings. I watch the film. I see the offers. I get a sense (often from here) about who the coaches are prioritizing. I can watch Gowdy's film and see the talent gap between him and a nice recruit like Shellman is immense. That doesnt mean I'd be unhappy if Shellman committed, or believe he couldnt be turned into a good player. But who knows what Gowdy could be turned into? You could watch Taj Harris's film and see the way he toyed with the competition, his fluidity, the speed, etc., and see that he was a superior recruit. Same with Gowdy.

I've never once said the sky is falling. I just think the recruiting class so far is not great, it doesnt seem to be on par with our very recent success, I hope it continues to improve, and I hope next year we finally get a windfall. Harrison, McGee, etc., some really explosive recruits we have strong ties to.

Still have a ton of faith in the staff and the talent they bring in. As soon as their recruits stop producing, then I will worry. Our young talent is impressive. HOWEVER, losing this dynamic WR recruit (given our offense) to a school that has run the triple option for years, is a tough pill to swallow.

Kind of interesting I thought that the numbers our receivers have put up would work. Need Custis to stick in KC for recruiting tactic purposes...