WR Damien Alford withdraws from portal | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

WR Damien Alford withdraws from portal

Great to see.

I thought the timing was really strange for him opting into the portal, anyway.

But happy to see this. A depleted WR corps got a solid boost from Alford deciding to return.
Amen. Odd timing but a win is a win. And I’ll take it.

General question. When a kid enters the portal, is his school obligated to take him back.

OK now with the light of day I’m starting to believe this. This is absolutely huge, because Jones being back to normal and healthy is not a given. Anyone that has experiences with shoulder injuries, especially dislocations, knows that all too often they're a chronic recurrent problem.

Especially in the case of Jones as his went out just in the process of a normal movement and play bringing his arm down and in the process hitting the defenders body popping it out.

That’s suggests shoulder instability, you can rehabilitate these things, but there’s no guarantee, so having Alford back will be crucial, especially as we can expect/hope for an improved Alford living up to expectations.

Last edited:
Looks like there might be a market for a 6’6 210lb WR that averaged 20+ YPC and 450 yards including some big plays.

Weird other team's fans appreciate our players more than we do. Oh and he is actually visiting Miami now.

Ya, he’s no good. We don’t need him anyway. I mean, that’s what I’m told .

oh wait, he’s back! Great news! We neeed him!

lmao

I was SO HAPPY to see this. Somehow we must’ve come through with a bag to keep him home.

Thank you very much to whoever made that happen.

I have full faith Alford is going to blossom and go to the League.
Maybe his parents said you aren’t going anywhere!

Kidding aside this is one of those "day in the life" stories I would love to hear some day. What happened fromt he hours leading up to entering the portal to the moment he decided to pull out of it. Wild ride i imagine.

I almost feel like Beck may have reached out to him. "Damien, we respect your decision, but you are a key part of my offensive plan..we are going to throw the ball downfield a LOT more...etc"

92D5D0D1-9AE2-4BF3-9D65-25F6EC722D78.png

lmao

Just wait until he drops his first pass...make sure you're in the game thread that day. lol

If he has a Jamal Custis like leap I'll be ecstatic.

Custis went 4 catches, 1 catch, 8 catches to 51 catches 906 yards and 6 TDs as a senior. That would be amazing.

Great news. Remember we will have Gadsden, Alford, Adams, Brown, Jones, and Hatcher. That’s nice. Smallest guy is Adams and he is the fastest. This makes me happy.
So happy this happened. A very nice young man just starting to realize his potential on a unit that desperately needs him. Best news this year along with the DL rebuild (and maybe something at the TE position). :cool:

OK now with the light of day I’m starting to believe this. This is absolutely huge, because Jones being back to normal and healthy is not a given. Anyone that has experiences with shoulder injuries, especially dislocations, knows that all too often they're a chronic recurrent problem.

Especially in the case of Jones as his went out just in the process of a normal movement and play bringing his arm down and in the process hitting the defenders body popping it out.

That’s suggests shoulder instability, you can rehabilitate these things, but there’s no guarantee, so having Alford back will be crucial, especially as we can expect/hope for an improved Alford living up to expectations.
Both of my shoulders would repeatedly dislocate during my playing days. I got labrum surgery years later and they haven't popped out since.

lmao

Maybe there were people saying he’s no good I just glaze over that stuff but as far as myself, I was pointing out that we shouldn’t be freaking out. We didn’t lose production that wasn’t there to begin with (except blocking which I acknowledged). I picked him before the season to be my breakout player in a thread. I’ve also said through the year that I think he’s a high NFL draft pick IF he could put it all together. His size and speed alone we need. But I also wasn’t freaking out about a player who catches only 1-2 per game for all but 2 games this season.

I’ve always said he has incredible potential but on the flip side, he had a chance this year to really break out and never seized the moment IMO.

So not everyone who said it wasn’t a big loss were saying he sucked. Just that his production “could” be easily replaced at this point and this wasn’t a huge loss compared to some of the losses on D.

Both of my shoulders would repeatedly dislocate during my playing days. I got labrum surgery years later and they haven't popped out since.
Same, one of my shoulders was chronic dislocation from college wrestling days. Ended up with 2 anterior labral tears, multiple capsule tears, frayed biceps tendon, there was a groove in a bone in there from me continuing to relocate on my own...I think that might be it.

But once I had surgery I havent had an issue since...and I still get on the mat here and there with the boys. Now, my other shoulder that has tendonitis...pain every day after cortisone has ran its course.

Last edited:
Maybe there were people saying he’s no good I just glaze over that stuff but as far as myself, I was pointing out that we shouldn’t be freaking out. We didn’t lose production that wasn’t there to begin with (except blocking which I acknowledged). I picked him before the season to be my breakout player in a thread. I’ve also said through the year that I think he’s a high NFL draft pick IF he could put it all together. His size and speed alone we need. But I also wasn’t freaking out about a player who catches only 1-2 per game for all but 2 games this season.

I’ve always said he has incredible potential but on the flip side, he had a chance this year to really break out and never seized the moment IMO.

So not everyone who said it wasn’t a big loss were saying he sucked. Just that his production “could” be easily replaced at this point and this wasn’t a huge loss compared to some of the losses on D.
Agreed.

Rather have him than not, overall production to this point can be replaced, made some great plays but gets lost in the shuffle at times, solid blocker, upside potential which may prove to be very productive next year. Also, guys are going to come and go not much you can do but try and hit the portal and replace them with similar or better talent. Pretty cut and dry really. That's the game these days whether people like it or not.

Glad he's coming back but certainly wasn't soiling my BVD's with the thought of him moving on like many do when the assistant equipment manager moves on

Agreed.

Rather have him than not, overall production to this point can be replaced, made some great plays but gets lost in the shuffle at times, solid blocker, upside potential which may prove to be very productive next year. Also, guys are going to come and go not much you can do but try and hit the portal and replace them with similar or better talent. Pretty cut and dry really. That's the game these days whether people like it or not

Exactly. And maybe I don’t do a great job and come off sounding like a jerk, no clue. Not my intent. I’ve always thought his potential was/is huge but seems like something is missing. Guys don’t always meet their potential, I truly hope he does. But at this point it’s not like we were losing Gadsden, that would be a death blow potentially.

I also think Allen is going to do damage. He has as good of hands and route running as any of our WR’s.

Exactly. And maybe I don’t do a great job and come off sounding like a jerk, no clue. Not my intent. I’ve always thought his potential was/is huge but seems like something is missing. Guys don’t always meet their potential, I truly hope he does. But at this point it’s not like we were losing Gadsden, that would be a death blow potentially.

Something has been missing up until this point! 100% but the potential to be very good is there. and at this point hopefully we can see it all come together

Maybe he just wanted a free trip to Miami for a weekend? Can’t fault the kid for wanting to get some time in the sun/warmth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom