WR Damien Alford withdraws from portal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

WR Damien Alford withdraws from portal

I will be shocked if Cahoon is a contributor next season.
It’s Cohoon. I don’t expect much from him either. Parkman on the other hand I could see making plays from the slot.

The week 1 depth chart was Alford OR Jones and it was trending Jones.

Through the first 3 games (before Jones got hurt) he was 4-60 and 1 TD. Alford was 1-47 and 1 TD. Not a lot of difference but Jones was being targeted and like I said it was trending Jones and seemed obvious. This is Jones' job to lose if he's healthy.
I certainly thought Jones was/is our #2 WR, but having the potential of a deep threat as your 3rd WR is better than not. I expect Lequint will be more a receiving option than most of our other actual receivers next year.

Who is the WR that high pointed a poorly thrown deep ball that had to twist his body to high point it but landed out of bounds?

I think CDRW made that throw.

Was it Hatcher?

Whoever that WR was is our WR that has our most raw talent behind OG. That was the best pure catch I saw all year even though it didn't count. I don't think that was DA.
Was it this one?

What exactly are ”potato“ injuries.
I tried the search feature but no luck.
Oof, well, potato injuries are... are just, well... they're dreaded is what they are.

Years back on the hoops board there were multiple jokes that evolved from an expression a poster made (shaky potatoes) and a joke about a new poster that came in hot and got a reputation for having Danny Schayes' autograph on a potato. One night, Baye Keita left a game early, and there was an injury thread where myself and AZOrange joked about him having "potato knee." Some folks weren't amused and the jokes got deleted, but the spirit lives on in reference to body part injuries like "the dreaded potato ankle."

Jamal Custis didn't take off until his last season. Everyone doesn't hit the ground running.
I remember complaining about how sick I was of hearing “Custis is going to have a breakout year this year”

Until finally he did.

Alford is ahead of Custis at this point. He has the body and a proven ability to make an incredible catches.
Yes he has some drops. Yes we all don’t understand why he wasn’t targeted more.

But there is NO WAY the staff is OK with him leaving.

Looks like there might be a market for a 6’6 210lb WR that averaged 20+ YPC and 450 yards including some big plays.

Weird other team's fans appreciate our players more than we do. Oh and he is actually visiting Miami now.

Yup

Looks like there might be a market for a 6’6 210lb WR that averaged 20+ YPC and 450 yards including some big plays.

Weird other team's fans appreciate our players more than we do. Oh and he is actually visiting Miami now.

Oh wow I didn’t see this coming
(sarcasm font)

And Jones caught "only" 4 balls in 2+ games. Which is why some here are down on Alford, right? Lack of volume? I, too, very much like I.Jones, so this is not meant to poo-poo him.

I just value players that have been in our system for years and have the potential to "pop." That is why I am particularly down on the loss of Alford.

Not sure everyone understands how difficult it is to learn/grasp/execute a complex new offensive or defensive system as players move from school X to school Y. I am sure there are some programs that are similar enough that the learning curve is not as deep.

But to execute authoritatively and with expertise in tandem with another player (like a QB), is a tall task for any young player (and everyone in college football is young, outside of Stenson Bennett).

Yes, CFB is much simpler that the NFL, but having sufficient reps in a system is still a huge advantage. Always will be. And Alford won't have that wherever he goes. And neither will we with any transfer we get coming in. I see it as a losing proposition for both parties, with the possible exception of NIL cash for Alford. Even then, I think it hinders any pro prospects he has (even in Canada).
Me too. He has a chance to shine but early we were not even looking his way. No way Hatcher is gonna block that well either.

He’s not visiting Miami. Withdrew from the portal tonight.
the-simpsons-bart-simpson.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom