Class of 2017 - WR Josh Palmer (FL) Verbal to Tennessee | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR Josh Palmer (FL) Verbal to Tennessee

Its only a loss if they've played for SU. If someone verbally committed but backed out is not a loss? Really playing semantics to convince ourselves of something. No Panic, disappointment on losing, yes losing a verbally committed quality player.

So you know how they are going to close? That they most definitely will not sign another 3* WR?! In this O?

Convince ourselves of something? Really? You may want to take a break from the recruiting board until signing day...there are going to be some ebbs and flows...

He's in the "we need better recruits" drum beaters club with captain obvious.

I have no problem with this policy. If you want the school to hold your spot, you need to be committed. If you are looking around, so can we and fill your spot with someone else.
First, I'm quoting this because people seem to have not read this.

If bcubs is right, then this isn't a policy I enjoy. I hate the idea of telling a kid he can't visit other places, and he needs to be 100% locked in. It's undoubtedly what we all want, but man it's a terrible way of doing business. That was probably my favorite Shafer philosophy.

I hope Dino isn't that hard lined, that if Palmer takes his visit to Tennessee and takes his visit to UCLA and then says, yup I'm sure SU is where I want to be, that he wouldn't take him.

I have no problem with this policy. If you want the school to hold your spot, you need to be committed. If you are looking around, so can we and fill your spot with someone else.
I agree.. and if the staff was willing to take the chance to give him the ultimatum means they have other options in the back burner.

They have held the spot for him since he has committed and have told other recruits "we are full right now"..

If you look at other recruits like Eddie Lewis when they were asked to commit they didn't have have been silent form that point. I know Lewis has been playing the "wait and see" game to see what opens back up for him to be able to weigh all his options.

There's a couple names that might come back around and I'm sure a new one or 2 that we don't know about. Just like we are in this position all top tier programs are and one of their prospects might "fall" to SU late.

Depends on what game you caught. The VaTech win wasn't a fluke.

But I agree - win and they will come.

If we're hoping the 4 and 5 star recruits we want caught the VaTech game and missed the UL game or the WF game or the Clemson game or the FSU game than you've just proved my point.

First, I'm quoting this because people seem to have not read this.

If bcubs is right, then this isn't a policy I enjoy. I hate the idea of telling a kid he can't visit other places, and he needs to be 100% locked in. It's undoubtedly what we all want, but man it's a terrible way of doing business. That was probably my favorite Shafer philosophy.

I hope Dino isn't that hard lined, that if Palmer takes his visit to Tennessee and takes his visit to UCLA and then says, yup I'm sure SU is where I want to be, that he wouldn't take him.

Isn't this the same policy that many people got on Flood for using at Rutgers?

Yeah, I'll go on record here, if Dino's philosophy really is that he pulls an offer if a kid takes other visits after committing, I don't like it.

Still think he's the right man for the job, still has my full support and faith, but on this thing at least I disagree.

Yeah, I'll go on record here, if Dino's philosophy really is that he pulls an offer if a kid takes other visits after committing, I don't like it.

Still think he's the right man for the job, still has my full support and faith, but on this thing at least I disagree.
Wholeheartedly agree. Coaches can come & go as they please...why punish a kid for doing their due diligence while making one of the most important decisions of their life. If we get a visit & Dino & Co. get a face-to-face to make their pitch, that's all we can ask for.

I think the policy is fine as long as the staff makes it clear how things work to recruits early in the recruiting process.

I.e. we take the word commitment seriously at Syracuse. If you aren't sure about coming here, look around and take your visits. When you are sure, then make your commitment. If you later become unsure and want to visit other schools, go ahead. But know that our commitment to give you a scholarship ends when you visit somewhere else.

I bet the only reason this policy wasn't in place last year was because it was late in the recruiting process and they already had lots of verbals who committed before they were there.

Tough for me to make a judgement on a policy I don't really think we know completely about. I don't know the variables or how they are communicated. I really like sutomcat 's explanation here.

Also, you have to keep in mind that each situation has its own unique dynamic. The relationship with the recruit and how highly he's sought after by the staff could potentially alter how these situations are handled.

Yes, as did Wannstedt. I had no problem with it then and don't now. If you're not sure, just don't commit. Why should the school tell other interested recruits we're filled up and don't have spots for them and then get stuck with a few weeks before signing day? It should go both ways, though. As an aside, if we currently had the proposed early signing period for late December, he may have already signed with SU.

If we're hoping the 4 and 5 star recruits we want caught the VaTech game and missed the UL game or the WF game or the Clemson game or the FSU game than you've just proved my point.

No - I'd imagine we'd like to replace this decommit with another quality WR who saw us beat the coastal champ in year one of a rebuild while turning a underperforming guy into an all-American.

It's not that hard of a sell job really.

(The Louisville and Clemson games were encouraging if you're a WR recruit. AET still put up numbers with a pretty big talent disparity. WF was played in a monsoon.)

I don't think his offer was pulled

Tough for me to make a judgement on a policy I don't really think we know completely about. I don't know the variables or how they are communicated. I really like sutomcat 's explanation here.

Also, you have to keep in mind that each situation has its own unique dynamic. The relationship with the recruit and how highly he's sought after by the staff could potentially alter how these situations are handled.

I thought about that to, depending on how highly thought of by the staff might dictate how the situation is handled. Not sure it would be an across-the-board policy. I mean would we do the same thing with a highly sought after defensive tackle? I'm not sure.

I don't think his offer was pulled
Maybe the message is if you decommit we MAY fill the spot and MAY NOT have a spot left if you change your mind again. You have to figure then staff has contingencies in place in the event somebody decommits late in the process. Reality is if the kid decommits he likely isn't coming here anyway. It could also be a situation where Tennessee told him we don't give free visits to kids committed elsewhere.

This debate about commitments taking other visits has come up for Iowa recently. Ferentz has always had the policy that once you're committed, no more visits. That's ultimately cost them verbal commitments from several recruits from Texas - Eno Benjamin, Gavin Holmes and Beau Corrales. There was speculation that might have led to Chris White's departure because Benjamin claims he told 2 coaches of his intentions to make other visits and they okayed it as long as it didn't get out.

Ultimately, I think I agree with Tomcat's thoughts and our staff's apparent position on it. But I can also see merit in how Coach Shafer handled it.

I usually see when a recruit decommits and he post it, they also put that the school they decommitted from was still in the top of their choices or at least be under consideration. I didn't see that here with Palmer unless I missed it. ?????

I think it depends on timing and approach. Two and a half weeks before signing day, when other potential candidates to fill the spot are otherwise committed and it is difficult for the school to react is different than keeping options open over the summer. I have no problem with pulling the guarantee of a spot to a kid who still wants to look around this late in the cycle. And if the message is "Go look around and decide what you want to do but we may or may not have a spot for you" can you really take issue with that?

I say everything comes down to if he shows up to his SU-OV

Agree but unfortunately even if he doesn't commit this weekend I think he may take officials to the other schools and not us. Hope I am wrong of course

I think it depends on timing and approach. Two and a half weeks before signing day, when other potential candidates to fill the spot are otherwise committed and it is difficult for the school to react is different than keeping options open over the summer. I have no problem with pulling the guarantee of a spot to a kid who still wants to look around this late in the cycle. And if the message is "Go look around and decide what you want to do but we may or may not have a spot for you" can you really take issue with that?
If that's the case, yeah, that's fair.

same way we swoop in the 11th hour and flip MAC/AAC type commits, you have to expect the big dogs to do the same to us. You would think a kid could be smart enough to know when he is a plan C or worse, but some cant see past the bright lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom