Class of 2017 - WR Josh Palmer (FL) Verbal to Tennessee | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR Josh Palmer (FL) Verbal to Tennessee

HS football players are more informed about this than the casual fan - especially those being recruited to play here. That's the job of the recruiter, no?

Furthermore, if things start to turn around - casual people who don't follow football are the last to know. That's a marketing problem, not a recruiting one.

That would be great if they weren't at the same time being recruited by SEC and B10 schools telling them to look at our record, facilities, attendance, among other things and compared to their schools. So yes, these kids are more informed and also potentially more impacted by the media/social side of things.

We had a WR with a great year, great, some kids want to play for a school with a great record, cool locker rooms, free prostitutes, large crowds and be one of the best WR's in the country. Wins matter. Spreadsheets with future offense potential doesn't sell as well to a 4 or 5 star recruit.

You know we lost the recruit when there's over a page of arguing about other topics...

I'll quote you, "when did I ever say" watching the WF game would give a WR a feel for what his role would be? Never came out of my mouth. I think some people on here understood the point I was trying to make and I'm good with that.

You said 4 and 5* kids will look at more than just the VaTech game and included WF. I then asked you to clarify. Which you did in the affirmative ("yes").

So twice.

That would be great if they weren't at the same time being recruited by SEC and B10 schools telling them to look at our record, facilities, attendance, among other things and compared to their schools. So yes, these kids are more informed and also potentially more impacted by the media/social side of things.

We had a WR with a great year, great, some kids want to play for a school with a great record, cool locker rooms, free prostitutes, large crowds and be one of the best WR's in the country. Wins matter. Spreadsheets with future offense potential doesn't sell as well to a 4 or 5 star recruit.

My turn. I never said the system trumps those things. I get it. I said if you're a WR there is no better system to play in than this one. Is that enough to overcome all of the things a team like Tenn offers? Apparently not for Josh Palmer.

When we win a few more games and show off a second year of crazy WR numbers, we'll get better recruits.

Side note: I'm not sure we'll need 5* WRs. It would be nice, but that's the one position I'm not that worried about. A raw 3* kid like Jordan Cameron will do.

My turn. I never said the system trumps those things. I get it. I said if you're a WR there is no better system to play in than this one. Is that enough to overcome all of the things a team like Tenn offers? Apparently not for Josh Palmer.

When we win a few more games and show off a second year of crazy WR numbers, we'll get better recruits.

Side note: I'm not sure we'll need 5* WRs. It would be nice, but that's the one position I'm not that worried about. A raw 3* kid like Jordan Cameron will do.

We got the TE from the Dolphins? He'll be better than Palmer anyway. ; )

I guess I'm not sure why you choose to argue with me any time I don't say anything happy happy. This is pretty much what I was saying originally. This seems like it will continue to be a trend in 2017, yay.

I guess I'm not sure why you choose to argue with me any time I don't say anything happy happy. This is pretty much what I was saying originally. This seems like it will continue to be a trend in 2017, yay.

I was ready to let it go but you kept doubling down on WF being a good example of our how our offense works.

I actually think it's an interesting discussion for recruits - do they look at VaTech and think "this O is going to get very good" or look at Clemson and think "They are headed in the wrong direction"... It probably comes down to the kid and how they are wired and how the recruiter sells it.

I was ready to let it go but you kept doubling down on WF being a good example of our how our offense works.

I actually think it's an interesting discussion for recruits - do they look at VaTech and think "this O is going to get very good" or look at Clemson and think "They are headed in the wrong direction"... It probably comes down to the kid and how they are wired and how the recruiter sells it.

Or do they look at a game where a guy caught 5 TD passes against a team that beat both Clemson and PSU ... its now out there that the ACC was the best conference this season period ... B1G is always overrated and the SEC is down.

ACC Facebook Live & Recruiting Notebook

In an attempt to bring this thread back around to Palmer...

Jeff Thomas, the No. 7 receiver in the nation, will be on Miami's campus this weekend after making an official visit but his official visit to Louisville last weekend did not materialize because of weather issues in the midwest. The East St. Loius (Ill.) High standout is slated to visit Tennessee on Jan. 27, and Illinois remains firmly involved in the speedy Thomas.

This may be why there was no commitment to UT this weekend. Plus some sites say Palmer has an offer others no. Also the interest from PSU may be as a back up in case Hippenhammer flips to ND.

Last edited:

Jeff Thomas, the No. 7 receiver in the nation, will be on Miami's campus this weekend after making an official visit but his official visit to Louisville last weekend did not materialize because of weather issues in the midwest. The East St. Loius (Ill.) High standout is slated to visit Tennessee on Jan. 27, and Illinois remains firmly involved in the speedy Thomas.

This may be why there was no commitment to UT this weekend. Plus some sites say Palmer has an offer others no.

Palmer is definitely a plan B for Tennessee. That was evident just by the number of commitments they already have along with the big fish kids they still have visiting over the next several weeks.

and 3 known big time WR's still visting including Thomas, Jourdan Pouncey and Marlon Williams.

2 4 7 predictions pretty much all have him signing with UCLA at this point. If we get that last visit I still think he's ours.

Hey Josh - you're a backup option for these schools. You're number 1 here in a better system for WR, closer to home, and with other Canadian players.
Ya really, It doesn't makes sense. (at least to me) lol

When you are his age and suddenly you start getting all this attention it's only natural to be swayed by the sirens song.

Its also very easy to be head strong and not go back asking for a slot you relinquished either ... that is a pride thing.

ACC Facebook Live & Recruiting Notebook

This may be why there was no commitment to UT this weekend. Plus some sites say Palmer has an offer others no. Also the interest from PSU may be as a back up in case Hippenhammer flips to ND.
Hippenhammer to ND seems pretty much a sure thing at this point, too...

Kid is a deer in the headlights right now.. Going to get strung along next couple weeks and PSU and Tenn will offer if Plan A falls a part, which is fine but lets call it what it is

Well not if you're strictly wearing orange colored glasses. Back to reality though, we looked bad to the casual observer last year and to our own casual fan. Nobody looks at our season last year and focuses on one win against VTech. The season is looked at as a whole and it wasn't the type of season that's going to attract a flood of 4 and 5 star recruits.

I realize you could find the positives even in the Lester hire but if it was an easy sell job, we'd be swimming in 4 and 5 star recruits. We are not, its just facts, not that hard to see.

I watched the WF game. Both teams played in the same conditions, the offensive play calling was terrible the first half. It's just excuses to pretend that "should" have been a win. We lost.

I don't agree that we looked "bad". People know that we've been down. They know we had a new coach. I think the fact that we were slightly improved is a positive. That can be difficult to do with a new coach, new system, and such a complete overhaul. The main story with Cuse was how fast we play and how much we throw the ball. I think beyond that it's a bit of a "wait and see" but I think the general impression is that we are probably going to get better in the coming years as Babers is considered a good coach.

You're so ridiculous. You were never going to let this go, which is why I keep replying. You can't help yourself.

And, I never doubled down on WF being a good example of how our offense works. One, I never said that. Two, I never said it twice.

You are our boards version of RutgersAl, in ways.

Exactly, this is one of the things I'm implying if you wouldn't assume I'm being negative about everything. The 4 and 5 star recruits don't need to evaluate a program that is on the rise, most of them will just choose a college that's already a powerhouse. It just is what it is, that's what usually happens.

The recruiter can sell it any way he wants but kids are being spun the other scenario by another recruiter, or many other recruiters. You don't win very many of those battles when your record isn't very good. It just is what it is.

Do we need 5 star recruits to win on offense. No and I never implied we did. I'm happy with solid 3 stars all day long. I'd rather have 3 stars that turn into something than 4 stars that are duds.

Exactly, this is one of the things I'm implying if you wouldn't assume I'm being negative about everything. The 4 and 5 star recruits don't need to evaluate a program that is on the rise, most of them will just choose a college that's already a powerhouse. It just is what it is, that's what usually happens.

The recruiter can sell it any way he wants but kids are being spun the other scenario by another recruiter, or many other recruiters. You don't win very many of those battles when your record isn't very good. It just is what it is.

Do we need 5 star recruits to win on offense. No and I never implied we did. I'm happy with solid 3 stars all day long. I'd rather have 3 stars that turn into something than 4 stars that are duds.

I like both of you guys as posters and really don't want to block you guys. Can you please, please take this to PM's I'm pretty sure we are all sick of seeing this back and forth. Have a good night :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom