Class of 2017 - WR Josh Palmer (FL) Verbal to Tennessee | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 WR Josh Palmer (FL) Verbal to Tennessee

Free Article

Joshua Palmer: 'Tennessee is a good place'
Joshua Palmer after visit: 'Tennessee is a good place'
http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/styles/author/public/2016/03/02/IMG_4590.JPG?w=50&h=50&faces=true
Danny Parker
1:39 PM

Joshua Palmer's official visit to Tennessee is complete. Has the staff on Rocky Top done enough to convince the pass catcher to suit up for the Orange & White? Sign in for more.

Things sometimes move quickly in recruiting with the keys being communication, relationships and visits.

Joshua Palmer's time getting to know Tennessee coaches doesn't stretch years into the past, but they did enough to convince the Scout No. 12-ranked wide receiver in Florida to take an official visit to Knoxville over the weekend.

“The facilities and the coaching staff (stood out) and coach G is a really nice guy,” Palmer told InsideTennessee. “I clicked a lot with the players on the team, the recruits and the coaching staff a lot.

“The business program really surprised me. They know how to prepare kids well in the business program for after college. I wasn’t surprised about the football program. I know they’re beasts. When I seen that, I was actually happy that I wasn’t surprised. Tennessee is a good place, I really enjoyed it.

“The facilities are great. I’d never been to Tennessee before. When I went there, I was very surprised with what they can do with the doctors and the weightroom and the training facilities — all that stuff.”

Tennessee’s players are what has the wideout’s attention along with coach Butch Jones and passing game coordinator Zach Azzanni.

“I really click with them a lot,” Palmer said. “I really enjoyed coach Z’s presence and coach Jones. They’re really good people.

“I might have the opportunity to play early based on how I contribute to the team early, coming to practice and training camp. I spoke to some of the other freshmen that played. They said coach Z really knows what he’s doing, and he tries to get guys into the game, so be ready at any time.

“(Azzanni) is a great guy. He knows a lot about the wide receiver position. He’s very friendly and inclined. He’s all about the family spirit and what’s best for the kid.”

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound wide receiver had been committed to Syracuse for months before opening things up in January. He has not eliminate the Orangemen.

“Right now Tennessee is amongst UCLA, too,” Palmer said. “I’m looking at both of them. I plan on making a smart decision with my father and myself, trying to find the best situation for me and my family.”

The Bruins are at work trying to get Palmer out to Los Angeles for trip. UCLA coaches are what he finds most attractive about the Pac-12 school.

“The coaching staff came by to see me in the week,” he said. “They came by and spoke to me. I don’t know a lot about UCLA because I’m from Toronto, Canada, so I didn’t really know a lot about California. It will be an experience when I go up there on my visit.”

The Syracuse proximity to Toronto and Palmer’s family as well as the coaching staff still have the 2017 class talent’s interest.

“That’s still an option,” he said.

The relationship between Palmer and Tennessee stretched back roughly two months.

“I got the offer maybe second round of the playoffs. They’ve just been really hard on me after that,” he said.

Palmer plays at St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) High School alongside Tennessee commit Kivon Bennett.

“We’re close. We’re not like best friends, but we’re close,” Palmer said.

Fellow Sunshine State products and wide receivers Brandon Johnson and Latrell Williams were Palmer’s player hosts.

Coming up, the pass catcher plans to “think it through, enjoy my visits. I’ve got a lot to think about with what has happened for the past week and a half. So I have a lot to think about when I get home.”

Expect a final declaration from Palmer prior to Feb. 1.

“I don’t know exactly, but I know it will be before signing day,” he said.

I am glad he didn't commit today, but I am nervous he won't be coming on the 27th. He seems to be interested in brighter lights. It's his right to take care of himself, it sucks it's so late in the cycle though. I thought he was a good fit for Babers system.

I feel if he felt this way awhile back he should have made this decision sooner. We treated this kid like family and was giving him every opportunity to start. You get the same feeling that I got when Q.Green did this to HCJB in the men basketball team. It stings.

No - I'd imagine we'd like to replace this decommit with another quality WR who saw us beat the coastal champ in year one of a rebuild while turning a underperforming guy into an all-American.

It's not that hard of a sell job really.

(The Louisville and Clemson games were encouraging if you're a WR recruit. AET still put up numbers with a pretty big talent disparity. WF was played in a monsoon.)

Well not if you're strictly wearing orange colored glasses. Back to reality though, we looked bad to the casual observer last year and to our own casual fan. Nobody looks at our season last year and focuses on one win against VTech. The season is looked at as a whole and it wasn't the type of season that's going to attract a flood of 4 and 5 star recruits.

I realize you could find the positives even in the Lester hire but if it was an easy sell job, we'd be swimming in 4 and 5 star recruits. We are not, its just facts, not that hard to see.

I watched the WF game. Both teams played in the same conditions, the offensive play calling was terrible the first half. It's just excuses to pretend that "should" have been a win. We lost.

Well not if you're strictly wearing orange colored glasses. Back to reality though, we looked bad to the casual observer last year and to our own casual fan. Nobody looks at our season last year and focuses on one win against VTech. The season is looked at as a whole and it wasn't the type of season that's going to attract a flood of 4 and 5 star recruits.

I realize you could find the positives even in the Lester hire but if it was an easy sell job, we'd be swimming in 4 and 5 star recruits. We are not, its just facts, not that hard to see.

I watched the WF game. Both teams played in the same conditions, the offensive play calling was terrible the first half. It's just excuses to pretend that "should" have been a win. We lost.

Cute. But it's not about me or orange colored glasses or Lester.

Follow along: if you are a WR this is the best system in the country to play in. A guy just went from after-thought to All-American. Did I make that up? Is that spin? C'mon.

It will take some time and some more sustained winning to reel in 4* and 5* guys on the regular. (Side note: Our new TE says hi).

Also. The Wake Game was perfectly set up for a team that is run first/defense first... not a team that struggled to run all year. The weather played perfectly into their hands AND we were still within a TD in the final 5 min.

I'm not sure where you saw that I said it "should have been a win." I said it was probably not the game a WR would watch to get a feel for what the offense can do.

You disagree?

Honestly I think the casual observer sees things trending upward. I see it from other fans and message boards. We got a lot more play on espn and more good things are being said from the taking heads. They were positive about the offense and AT got a lot of pub which helped; but pub he would never have gotten at Maryland.

Butch Jones was on the hot seat this year. How long does he last? One bad year now and he's gone.

Honestly I think the casual observer sees things trending upward. I see it from other fans and message boards. We got a lot more play on espn and more good things are being said from the taking heads. They were positive about the offense and AT got a lot of pub which helped; but pub he would never have gotten at Maryland.

Butch Jones was on the hot seat this year. How long does he last? One bad year now and he's gone.
Plus UT is looking for a new AD. We all know what can happen with a new hire in that department.

I know the team is trending up but I can't tell you how many friends/family still think this team is "same old 'cuse". I think they'll be changing their tune, hopefully next year except the schedule looks rough, but they will be changing their tune at some point. The only people I know that can really see this team is going to get better is people on this board and a few other people. But largely, I still hear all the negatives I've been hearing since Grob.

the casual fan cares about wins and losses. Not points per possession, # of offensive plays etc. Until start racking up more wins than losses, the casual fan will not care nor see any trend besides the awful trend we have recently seen.

Plus UT is looking for a new AD. We all know what can happen with a new hire in that department.

interesting quote...on the back burner is a key administrative post. Chris Fuller, senior associate athletic director for development and external relations, left for Syracuse in late 2016. His oversight included fundraising, marketing and tickets.

people bailing from there?

I know the team is trending up but I can't tell you how many friends/family still think this team is "same old 'cuse". I think they'll be changing their tune, hopefully next year except the schedule looks rough, but they will be changing their tune at some point. The only people I know that can really see this team is going to get better is people on this board and a few other people. But largely, I still hear all the negatives I've been hearing since Grob.

my bad I was talking about the casual football observer. the people who actually watch football and know football. I agree though that casual joe public has the opinion of 'same old' 'same old'.

Yes.

So on the record, you're saying a WR should watch a game played in a hurricane to get a feel for what his role would be? And that would be a fair example of what to expect?

Lester's offense made more sense.

HS football players are more informed about this than the casual fan - especially those being recruited to play here. That's the job of the recruiter, no?

Furthermore, if things start to turn around - casual people who don't follow football are the last to know. That's a marketing problem, not a recruiting one.

the casual fan cares about wins and losses. Not points per possession, # of offensive plays etc. Until start racking up more wins than losses, the casual fan will not care nor see any trend besides the awful trend we have recently seen.

Agreed. But the truth is HS recruits are more informed. They do pay attention to numbers and stats.

When was the last time a Syracuse commit decommitted, then re-committed?

Not sure it has happened before, and if it has it hasn't happened very much.

Don't think this one will end in favor of us.

OSU and Penn State getting in the mix? Yeah, he's gone. Seems like the thread believes so as well.

Also. The Wake Game was perfectly set up for a team that is run first/defense first... not a team that struggled to run all year. The weather played perfectly into their hands AND we were still within a TD in the final 5 min.

The old addag

I'm not sure where you saw that I said it "should have been a win." I said it was probably not the game a WR would watch to get a feel for what the offense can do.

You disagree?

You disagree?

Thats old school thinking, the old adage that you run in bad weather. Yes, it was wet and windy but our offense was functioning and we were throwing the ball. I, at the time, commented on the approach and play calling. That was a pivotal game for us.

So on the record, you're saying a WR should watch a game played in a hurricane to get a feel for what his role would be? And that would be a fair example of what to expect?

Lester's offense made more sense.

I'll quote you, "when did I ever say" watching the WF game would give a WR a feel for what his role would be? Never came out of my mouth. I think some people on here understood the point I was trying to make and I'm good with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom