Class of 2024 - WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC

I
That's true, but I think the point being made is that the good teams land a lot of their home grown talent while snatching talent from the backyards of others. We want to be good, right?
f we get good, kids will stay home. Otherwise, Dino needs to find his Tim Green.

I

f we get good, kids will stay home. Otherwise, Dino needs to find his Tim Green.
I think we’ve learned through the various legacies that our former players can’t even instill a sense of program pride that overrides the state of the program, so winning is the only solution to consistently draw talent.

I think we’ve learned through the various legacies that our former players can’t even instill a sense of program pride that overrides the state of the program, so winning is the only solution to consistently draw talent.
This 100%. We don’t need(and realistically probably won’t see) 9 win seasons every year, we need to do what Wake has done: develop, make bowls every year and have the occasional big season when things break right on the roster. Lousy hires(head coach in a couple of cases and various assistants) and development have killed us since the Gerg hire. There is no excuse for what has happened the past 20 years, there are reasons, but there is no excuse. Let’s get things continuing forward with another bowl this year and that will help with legacies and in general

I think he means we need a guy with an attitude like Tim Green, who decided to stay and defend his home turf.

I

It's the canary in the mines. If he keeps chipping, things must be OK. If we win, good local kids are more likely to stay here if not, they will fly the coop. (Which the canary can't do - too bad for him.)

Agree on that. But I think the difference is when there are a couple fairly elite talent kids in the state and being able to have just one of those kids to stay with the in state school per class would be a difference. At this point those kids choose other programs.
Difference to what? The next 1 or 2 will consider us?

If there were a bunch every year, you want to build a pipeline. 1-2 kids a year a pipeline does not make.

You try, but if you don’t get them, get the same level of talent from other areas and build your own pipeline (NJ, FL, GA)

That's true, but I think the point being made is that the good teams land a lot of their home grown talent while snatching talent from the backyards of others. We want to be good, right?
Actually, my point - which was the post he was responding to - is that a talented player in NYS is different than a talented kid right in your backyard. Not saying we need to recruit every Syracuse kid, but the perception is different if a Buffalo kid goes off to another school and has success, than if a Syracuse kid does the same.

Actually, my point - which was the post he was responding to - is that a talented player in NYS is different than a talented kid right in your backyard. Not saying we need to recruit every Syracuse kid, but the perception is different if a Buffalo kid goes off to another school and has success, than if a Syracuse kid does the same.
I think kids right next door are more likely to go away.

That is your view, I actually don’t expect to get any local kids, part of the experience of college is getting away. I think it’s harder to recruit kids locally.

You’re probably right. And we would take special pleasure if we grabbed a good recruit from the city of Pittsburgh or Boston…. Or even Jersey.

That is your view, I actually don’t expect to get any local kids, part of the experience of college is getting away. I think it’s harder to recruit kids locally.
But its true, the perception is different when its a kid right down the street compared to other areas of the state. Ive already had several negative conversations after Syair de committed and more when he committed to Mich st.

But its true, the perception is different when its a kid right down the street compared to other areas of the state. Ive already had several negative conversations after Syair de committed and more when he committed to Mich st.
Coach, do you think the losing recent history of the program is the sole driver of not keeping local kids from leaving, or has there just not been the effort from most of our staffs/lack of connection in regards to recruiting local kids as well?

Coach, do you think the losing recent history of the program is the sole driver of not keeping local kids from leaving, or has there just not been the effort from most of our staffs/lack of connection in regards to recruiting local kids as well?
Yeah the perception of the last 20 years is the biggest reason but I also think kids these days are more enticed by the glamour. I think they are more willing to experience that instead of sticking it out home with a struggling program. Cell phones, face time, zoom makes it easier to stay in contact with family also.

Lots of kids want to experience something different. Good for him. He is a nice player but he is replaceable. The Jersey kids we are recruiting are in my opinion easier to sell Cuse on than a kid from Syracuse.
They get to go away to school yet can be home if they want to.
I like our current focus and want to see us continue to recruit the east hard and also Canada. We are having a very good.

I wonder if that is a uniquely CNY thing. The whole reason schools in recruiting hotbeds have an advantage in recruiting is that much of the local talent dreams of going to the home town school.

I wonder if that's because we've been bad for so long. The local kids have no memory of a good program, so there's no pride in going there. Where I live many locals dream of going to the hometown school, both athletes and non-athletes. The whole community revolves around the university, so locals want to say they were a part of it.

I wonder if that is a uniquely CNY thing. The whole reason schools in recruiting hotbeds have an advantage in recruiting is that much of the local talent dreams of going to the home town school.
I think this has been discussed before, but kids dream of going to the local STATE school, typically with a winning tradition. As a private institution Cuse fandom is relegated to CNY and alumni. Cuse football barely registers anywhere in NYS unless you fall into one of those two groups. People don’t really have affinity towards SU if they didn’t go there? I know there are many exceptions to that, which can be seen on this board, for example, but local affinity isn’t anywhere near what it is for, say, residents of Pennsylvania who worship Penn St or Ohioan's who are a cult for OSU.

Sure, there are exceptions to this too, such as Notre Dame and USC, but those schools have their own unique traditions, which include winning a lot and, in NDs case, it’s own place in the history of Americana (working class Catholics etc).

Speaking of Catholics, I don’t think there are many local Mass kids who grow up dreaming of playing for BC either. Maybe a handful, but not many. Same could be said for Wake, others, etc.

If we won more, sure, Cuse would attract more interest locally and throughout NYS, but we are far from the dominant college football brand in our region unfortunately. And, as a private school, we are inherently “exclusive” rather than inclusive of statewide fandom.

I think there are multiple factors that play a part in this. Just thought I’d mention this aspect.

I think this has been discussed before, but kids dream of going to the local STATE school, typically with a winning tradition. As a private institution Cuse fandom is relegated to CNY and alumni. Cuse football barely registers anywhere in NYS unless you fall into one of those two groups. People don’t really have affinity towards SU if they didn’t go there? I know there are many exceptions to that, which can be seen on this board, for example, but local affinity isn’t anywhere near what it is for, say, residents of Pennsylvania who worship Penn St or Ohioan's who are a cult for OSU.

Sure, there are exceptions to this too, such as Notre Dame and USC, but those schools have their own unique traditions, which include winning a lot and, in NDs case, it’s own place in the history of Americana (working class Catholics etc).

Speaking of Catholics, I don’t think there are many local Mass kids who grow up dreaming of playing for BC either. Maybe a handful, but not many. Same could be said for Wake, others, etc.

If we won more, sure, Cuse would attract more interest locally and throughout NYS, but we are far from the dominant college football brand in our region unfortunately. And, as a private school, we are inherently “exclusive” rather than inclusive of statewide fandom.

I think there are multiple factors that play a part in this. Just thought I’d mention this aspect.
I agree that the private school aspect plays a role in SU's reach being narrow. The thing in this situation is that we're not talking about a kid from Buffalo or NYC. I think winning cures a lot of ills. I'm not an alumnus but I grew up when both the basketball and football teams were good. We need to get good and stay good with whatever players we can get from wherever and then more local/regional talent will be interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom