Class of 2024 - WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC

Clemson has 0 top 10 kids from SC committed for 2024 and there's multiple players right here in the Greenville area that are studs. A lot of kids want to go away for college. I want Torrence too, but this isn't a Cuse only thing.
Just me but I would prefer TaRon Haile over this kid. We will see tomorrow night.

Just me but I would prefer TaRon Haile over this kid. We will see tomorrow night.
Agreed. haile has that extra little wiggle. I'm not gonna get all peepee chonies about a local wr who chose to go to another P5 school to play a different position. Especially not in today's world where half the kids transfer.

Hes a good player but not one that is worth getting upset over. I hope he enjoys Michigan State and has a good career and Dino and the staff continues to build the team with kids who want to be here.

Why would you want to get him from the portal? If we do it probably means he couldn't hack it at Michigan St. If he excels there and transfers I'm sure he will upgrade.
Grabbing a guy on the second commitment AKA transfer portal means you grab the player for his most productive later years. I’m being snide and sarcastic with my comment obviously I want him now. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get him IF he transfers and he may not! I hope he kills it at state I really do, I would never wish failure upon any student athlete.

In regard to your statement about players transferring means they weren’t good enough to produce there so they aren’t good enough to produce here, I urge you to look at our transfer top 10 pre season rated college QB in Shrader. Happy we got him on his second commitment.

Grabbing a guy on the second commitment AKA transfer portal means you grab the player for his most productive later years. I’m being snide and sarcastic with my comment obviously I want him now. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get him IF he transfers and he may not! I hope he kills it at state I really do, I would never wish failure upon any student athlete.

In regard to your statement about players transferring means they weren’t good enough to produce there so they aren’t good enough to produce here, I urge you to look at our transfer top 10 pre season rated college QB in Shrader. Happy we got him on his second commitment.
For every Shrader there is a CJ Hayes

That’s not true at all. The percentage of transfers that have contributed significantly is much greater than 50%.
Define contributed significantly ...

2019 - Ryan Alexander
2020 - Cody Roscoe
Chris Bleich
2021 - Cody Shear
Jason Simmons
Garrett Shrader
2022- CDRW
D'Marcus Adams
Isiah Johnson
Elijah Clark
CJ Hayes
Dan Villari
Braylen Oliver
Juwaun Price

I would not consider Alexander, Adams, Hayes, Villari, Oliver, Shear or Price to be significant contributors (in some cases not yet but could be). So we are at roughly 50%.

Interesting, perhaps he doesn’t feel he can play WR at a top level. Michigan State was reportedly recruiting him as a DB.

For every Shrader there is a CJ Hayes
Yep. There are going to be guys we recruit out of the portal that couldn’t handle the level of competition and won’t work out anywhere. This myth that grabbing a guy out of the portal means he is going to be a surefire contributor here needs to stop.

2019 - Ryan Alexander
2020 - Cody Roscoe
Chris Bleich
2021 - Cody Shear
Jason Simmons
Garrett Shrader
2022- CDRW
D'Marcus Adams
Isiah Johnson
Elijah Clark
CJ Hayes
Dan Villari
Braylen Oliver
Juwaun Price

I would not consider Alexander, Adams, Hayes, Villari, Oliver, Shear or Price to be significant contributors (in some cases not yet but could be). So we are at roughly 50%.
Villari is such a good athlete that it make some wonder if his hands aren’t there. Because imo he has NFL level athleticism.

2019 - Ryan Alexander
2020 - Cody Roscoe
Chris Bleich
2021 - Cody Shear
Jason Simmons
Garrett Shrader
2022- CDRW
D'Marcus Adams
Isiah Johnson
Elijah Clark
CJ Hayes
Dan Villari
Braylen Oliver
Juwaun Price

So prior to last season 4 of the 6 listed would be significant contributors.

22 brought in 8, CDRW was the second string QB, Clark and Johnson finished the year as starters. Adams and Villari saw increased playing time later in the year and both will be core offensive players this season assuming both are good to go. Oliver was a redshirt freshman and will compete to get in the rotation. That’s six out of eight. Price might surprise.

You implied that half of the transfers have been busts. That’s just not true

So prior to last season 4 of the 6 listed would be significant contributors.

22 brought in 8, CDRW was the second string QB, Clark and Johnson finished the year as starters. Adams and Villari saw increased playing time later in the year and both will be core offensive players this season assuming both are good to go. Oliver was a redshirt freshman and will compete to get in the rotation. That’s six out of eight. Price might surprise.

You implied that half of the transfers have been busts. That’s just not true
You’re implying more than half are not and like you said assuming … increased playing time? That is your barometer? I didn’t say Clark and Johnson weren’t significant contributors … I listed those that either didn’t or haven’t … assume all you wish until it happens they aren’t Significant contributors .. a starter or someone who puts up meaningful minutes … not spot coverage as a TE or running two fly routes a game.

You’re implying more than half are not and like you said assuming … increased playing time? That is your barometer? I didn’t say Clark and Johnson weren’t significant contributors … I listed those that either didn’t or haven’t … assume all you wish until it happens they aren’t Significant contributors .. a starter or someone who puts up meaningful minutes … not spot coverage as a TE or running two fly routes a game.
You forgot Cooper

Its ridiculous to lump in guys like Adams, Villari and Oliver with Hayes.

So far there haven’t been many misses with transfers

You forgot Cooper

It’s ridiculous to mark them as significant contributors until they become so. We were running a skeleton crew during our bowl game in the secondary yet Oliver never logged a single tackle or even played in the game. Yet Wilson did … Johnson did … Peterson did … kinda hard to believe he is a significant contributor under those circumstances. If those guys don’t see another snap or even more than a few minutes a season are you going to keep banging the significant contributor drum or just keep touting futures that may never come?

Last edited:

2019 - Ryan Alexander
2020 - Cody Roscoe
Chris Bleich
2021 - Cody Shear
Jason Simmons
Garrett Shrader
2022- CDRW
D'Marcus Adams
Isiah Johnson
Elijah Clark
CJ Hayes
Dan Villari
Braylen Oliver
Juwaun Price

Yeah there is no way the transfers we get produce more than 50%.

You forgot Cooper

Doesn't Cooper still have a few more years to prove himself? :)

That's true, but I think the point being made is that the good teams land a lot of their home grown talent while snatching talent from the backyards of others. We want to be good, right?
Eh, when the numbers are as low as they are in CNY the effects are somewhat negligible. I’d say you want to keep them home if they can actually play and Torrence is legit. But it would be very different if there were 20 of him and we could land 4-5 annually.

Eh, when the numbers are as low as they are in CNY the effects are somewhat negligible. I’d say you want to keep them home if they can actually play and Torrence is legit. But it would be very different if there were 20 of him and we could land 4-5 annually.
Agree on that. But I think the difference is when there are a couple fairly elite talent kids in the state and being able to have just one of those kids to stay with the in state school per class would be a difference. At this point those kids choose other programs.