WVU to sue BE | Syracusefan.com

WVU to sue BE

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
In order to get out of BE for next year.

Like I was saying, instability breeds lawsuits and lawsuits cause schools and leagues to reconsider their actions and positions.

I hope this does not adversely impact our move to the ACC.

Like I was saying, instability breeds lawsuits and lawsuits cause schools and leagues to reconsider their actions and positions.

Explain how this would at all affect our position in the ACC? Stop with the fear mongering.

If WVU, Pitt and SU sue the BE to be released early, and lose, they should at least get some concessions. For example, they should be able to give Providence and Seton Hall a collective kick in the nuts.

Explain how this would at all affect our position in the ACC? Stop with the fear mongering.

I know nothing of the law, but the common sense in me says this could set a precedent for us leaving early. Seems like a cheaper way for us to go about it, sit on the sidelines and watch it play out.

If somehow, the judge says "wait, you want to leave your conference? You can't. Ever. You have to play in the Big East or drop football altogether", then I will start to worry a bit about how this impacts our move to the ACC.

tweek-tweak-pic.jpg

I know nothing of the law, but the common sense in me says this could set a precedent for us leaving early. Seems like a cheaper way for us to go about it, sit on the sidelines and watch it play out.

If somehow, the judge says "wait, you want to leave your conference? You can't. Ever. You have to play in the Big East or drop football altogether", then I will start to worry a bit about how this impacts our move to the ACC.

Exactly my thoughts. How this lawsuit would have an adverse effect on leaving the Big East is beyond me. OPA needs to explain that one further. A conference is an agreement between teams to play each other over a set period of time. We aren't bound to these teams for all of eternity (thankfully). This type of lawsuit probably only speeds up the escape.

Excellent news. I've been hoping someone would sue someone if for no other purpose than it might turn a spotlight on the minutes of the Big East meetings over the past 12 months. It has p3ssed me off more than just a little to have to listen to the media, some BE coaches and fans of opposing teams talk about how Syracuse "blindsided" everyone and "stabbed them in the back." I am of the belief that pretty loud signals were sent the BE Presidents and ADs, not to mention John Marinatto, as far back as November 2010 that Syracuse, Pitt, WVU et al. were not going to take much more foot-dragging on the part of the basketball schools and Commissioner's Office and that they would bolt if the opportunity arose.

I could be wrong, of course, but opening up the Big East's "books" so to speak might finally answer some questions I and many others have had about our departure to the ACC.

Is WVU suing Syracuse in essence since we are in the Big East still? I think, as PA says, the instability can create confusion. I am not saying the ACC will pull our acceptance (they won't) but this type of thing can become ugly and then politicians reenter the fray.

I think the opposite is going to happen here. The UConns and Rutgers should be the good soldiers and allow for the settlement of the Syracuse/Pitt/WVU early release b/c they will be in this scenario at some point when they are released from jail. In other words, a global settlement can and will happen ultimately when the parties come to their senses. It will involve future games in hoops i'm sure, more cash to the big east for early release, etc.

I understand the logic of wanting to be out early. And I understand why the BE might not want us hanging around for the next year and a half. What I don't understand is why anyone (including but not limited to WVU, SU, Pitt, or any fans) believes we have grounds to leave early. If the contract says $5 million/27 months, what does WVU believe will get them off of that hook?

I understand the logic of wanting to be out early. And I understand why the BE might not want us hanging around for the next year and a half. What I don't understand is why anyone (including but not limited to WVU, SU, Pitt, or any fans) believes we have grounds to leave early. If the contract says $5 million/27 months, what does WVU believe will get them off of that hook?

I think if the BE said they could get out at $21M as was rumored, the lawsuit may be a jumping off point for negotiations. But otherwise, it could also be something along the lines of the BE's responsibilities to its members in keeping the league whole and viable as a BCS football conference.

If WVU, Pitt and SU sue the BE to be released early, and lose, they should at least get some concessions. For example, they should be able to give Providence and Seton Hall a collective kick in the nuts.
Can we do it even without suing? ;)

I would guess that this is just the first step to getting to a settlement. I highly doubt either side wants to get this into the courts so I'm assuming this will end up with a cash settlement and WVU out of the league next year.

I think if the BE aid they could get out at $21M as was rumored, the lawsuit may be a jumping off point for negotiations. But otherwise, it could also be something along the lines of the BE's responsibilities to its members in keeping the league whole and viable as a BCS football conference.
I think you're right - this may be a way to force negotiations. I wonder if WV asked what it would take to get out early and the BE said "Nothing. You're here for 27 months". The $21M figure tossed around could have been just a rumor.

The West Virginia Scout board is quoting a local media guy as saying "WVU suit against BE claims "lack of leadership, breach of fudiciary duties by the Big East and its commissioner."

That could certainly open up a few cans of worms.

SU won't sue and will not lower themselves to WVA level. You sign an agreement you should live up to it. Shame on WVA.

Irreconcilable Differences.

...in a nut shell...whatever the BE does or does not do for WVU will have an impact on 'Cuse because of legal precedent. If for some reason WVU is allowed to leave earlier than its 27 months, lawyers will fight for same for 'Cuse. I believe outcome will depend on other football teams joining the BE...if they can get to 12--which means a conference championship, then letting 'Cuse go is probable...if they can't get to 12 with WVU, Pitt and Cuse leaving but do have nine, the BE will claim that these three schools are hurting them as well as financially causing loss due to fact if they leave there is not a conference playoff that would take place if they are there...feeling is 'Cuse needs to sue also so that their place in filing has been established...For example, it may be possible for WVU to get out if 10 teams plus Cuse and Pitt were held in league...Cuse gets out if 11 teams plus Pitt held in league...we want 12 football teams or league to fall apart--and none of those 12 to be Cuse, or WVU, or Pitt.

Our futures are tied together. I agree that SU will not sue. But the BE can't release WVU and then hold SU and Pitt for 27 months. SU and Pitt gave notice earlier. It's all or nothing for the BE.

"Fear mongering"?

I really don't know what you mean by that.

In response to your question, though, the answer is "I don't know."

If you asked me what WVU's legal theory might be at this point - why it feels it can file suit - I would give you the same answer - "I don't know."

The point I have been making all along is that "I don't know."

And I don't like feeling that "I don't know."

I like predictabilty and stability.

That's why I want/wanted the BE to survive and flourish without us - I thought that would give comfort to the remaining schools and would reduce the chances of a lawsuit - because nobody knows what will happen when a lawsuit is filed.

Even the best legal case goes awry at times.

Sorry if that cause you fear - try to think of the post as simply an early evening Halloween greeting.

The West Virginia Scout board is quoting a local media guy as saying "WVU suit against BE claims "lack of leadership, breach of fudiciary duties by the Big East and its commissioner."

That could certainly open up a few cans of worms.

If that is the basis of the lawsuit, that's a pretty savvy move by WVU. They seem to be essentially putting Marinatto's tenure as BE commish on trial here. Does Marinatto really want to fight this battle or would he rather just take the settlement and move on without further spotlight put on his tenure? I'm betting he chooses option B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom