Yom Kippur/Lville game | Syracusefan.com

Yom Kippur/Lville game

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
You have to be kidding me.

A. Syracuse University... aka top 5 Jewish school in the country can't tell ESPN lets not do a game on Friday which is also Yom Kippur??
B. You get a primetime game because you forgot to request that night off and you do this:

"In consideration of the Yom Kippur holiday worship at Hendricks Chapel, quad activities for the October 3rd football game between Syracuse and Louisville in the Dome have been moved.

Specifically, quad activities will held in the north area of the Carrier Dome between Gate D and Heroy. The marching band will perform on the east side of the Dome near Irving Ave. Foot traffic will be re-routed around the quad and Hendricks Chapel to ensure a quiet and respectful environment for worshipers.

With your assistance, we can create an environment where both events can occur simultaneously. Thank you for your partnership in making the University a truly inclusive place."

This is the biggest crock of PR botching I've ever seen. They should have moved the few hundred (maybe?) going to Hendricks for this and not the 45,000 going to a football game (if they aren't going to request that day off in the 1st place). Good luck ushering the kids coming up from Walnut Park area around the quad.

This is a clear "the athletic dept got their hands caught in the cookie jar chasing a primetime game" and imo completely forgot it was Yom Kippur until after the fact.

Sorry if I am late to this party.

Well, if the game was held at a more traditional time for CFB (Saturday afternoon), it would still be Yom Kippur, so it has nothing to do with ESPN or the game being played on Friday night. I think SU is doing its best (at least it sounds like it) to satisfy both the game attendees and those engaged in worship.

Well, if the game was held at a more traditional time for CFB (Saturday afternoon), it would still be Yom Kippur, so it has nothing to do with ESPN or the game being played on Friday night. I think SU is doing its best (at least it sounds like it) to satisfy both the game attendees and those engaged in worship.

Does Hendricks Chapel have any worships planned on Saturday?

If so, that's obviously a weekend for a road game - and that request should have gone to the ACC (I'm not in the Athletic Dept, so I'm pretty sure that's where the requests go, not certain).

One thing I am certain of, is that this is an awful mistake. Yom Kippur happens every year, so does Christmas and Easter. I don't recall in my lifetime any game being an interruption.

If so, that's obviously a weekend for a road game - and that request should have gone to the ACC (I'm not in the Athletic Dept, so I'm pretty sure that's where the requests go, not certain).

I assume there will be something going on at Hendricks all day Saturday. SU should have asked to play a road game that weekend, yes.

One thing I am certain of, is that this is an awful mistake. Yom Kippur happens every year, so does Christmas and Easter. I don't recall in my lifetime any game being an interruption.

Sept. 20, 1980, the day the Dome opened was also Yom Kippur. They moved the start time back that day as well.

Sept. 20, 1980, the day the Dome opened was also Yom Kippur. They moved the start time back that day as well.

That would be acceptable.

Im sorry, maybe I'm the only 1 here - but shutting down the quad is unacceptable.

There were numerous other ways to respect the very important Jewish holiday.

Schools and Professional teams have given up on moving games around "religious holiday's" the past few years. Because it is impossible to do and keep people happy. It is ok to play games on Christmas Day but not Yom Kippur? The NBA has said they just set their slate of games and fans have to make an individual choice to go or not. They can't accommodate everyone. And for once the NBA is 100% correct. Other sports leagues and now colleges are starting to follow that model

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom