Your Favorite Pregame Bar and Post Victory bar | Syracusefan.com

Your Favorite Pregame Bar and Post Victory bar

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Assuming a tailgate wasn’t an option.

Pregame: Biergarten or Pressroom

Postgame: Orange Crate

Faegans just doesn’t do it for me and I’m unaware of any fun downtown cuse football oriented spot

I went to Hotel Syracuse (Marriott Downtown) for the first time before the UNC game. Thought it was great.

I always hit the Sheraton bar after the game. Not too packed, enough TVs to show all the games.

Pre: Alto Cinco or Beer Belly (I traditionally park in Westcott).

It was:

Pre-Chucks (rip)
Post-Chucks (rip).

Now:
Football-tailgate before, Orange Crate after.
Hoops-Crate or Faegans before hit the road after.

We need a decent Chucks sized bar back up there, just not sure where. There is an energy to a place that can accomodate that many people that the other smaller (better) bars cannot match.

It was:

Pre-Chucks (rip)
Post-Chucks (rip).

Now:

We need a decent Chucks sized bar back up there, just not sure where. There is an energy to a place that can accomodate that many people that the other smaller (better) bars cannot match.
Feel like the writing was on the wall for Chuck’s. That place was dead after the Vtech win

Feel like the writing was on the wall for Chuck’s. That place was dead after the Vtech win

giphy.gif

I just realized the title said Post Victory.

Not that it changes my answer, but I get up there for 1 game per year. I realized that Saturday was the first win I've seen since 2011 Wake Forest (another game that looked lost until it wasn't, in overtime).

Before that, 2008 Louisville.

Before that, 2002 Virginia Tech. Yet another game that looked lost until it wasn't, in overtime.

4 wins in 17 years. That's not so good, huh.

Am I allowed to still go?

STUPID EDIT: I went to BC and ND wins in 2003. So it's really 3 wins in 15 years.

Last edited:

New management ruined that place. Screw them. You have to be a real clown to truly screw up an established bar on a college campus with very little competition nearby. Was at SU 08-12 and that bar was the place Thursday nights. Scary how often I don't remember leaving that place.

Assuming a tailgate wasn’t an option.

Pregame: Biergarten or Pressroom

Postgame: Orange Crate

Faegans just doesn’t do it for me and I’m unaware of any fun downtown cuse football oriented spot

Also, Biergarten sucks. Thank youu.

It was:

Pre-Chucks (rip)
Post-Chucks (rip).

Now:

I know where, just not sure it'll happen.

The developer of the new building on the Chuck's site has like 20,000 square feet of commercial space to lease. It'll be interesting to see who wins the game of chicken: the developer, who's holding out for steep rents, or a local bar operator, who's got time on his side as the months tick by with no revenue coming in for the developer.

Either way, SU's got a track record of making things very difficult for people looking to open bars in the neighborhood. Between the city's permitting process (due to change whenever the Common Council votes the zoning rewrite into law) and the state liquor license application, it's not easy.

But I'm in the crowd that misses pre-2012 Chuck's, before that guy bought it and ruined it. Was a great post-game spot. For that matter, so's the Varsity for games that end early. Nothing like getting a couple pitchers while the band flips the banner.

Still cash-only?
...unfortunately.

Pisses me off. Blarney’s cash only as well, but definitely worth the minor inconvenience.

...unfortunately.

Pisses me off. Blarney’s cash only as well, but definitely worth the minor inconvenience.

Yeah, somehow I'll make an exception for Blarney but avoid the biergarten like it's the plague. I guess a good burger is the tie-breaker...

Yeah, somehow I'll make an exception for Blarney but avoid the biergarten like it's the plague. I guess a good burger is the tie-breaker...
Its the friendly bartenders, paulaner and open aesthetics that draw me in. Just a great place to experience something extraordinary in the sports world.

But I'm in the crowd that misses pre-2012 Chuck's, before that guy bought it and ruined it. Was a great post-game spot. For that matter, so's the Varsity for games that end early. Nothing like getting a couple pitchers while the band flips the banner.
I was in grad school 2010-2012, and there was nothing better than a Monday burger special and a pitcher of Dundee Honey Ale for $7, including tip.

Went to Pressroom for WMU game. it was pretty good. Ryan Blackwell, Allen Griffin, and Dajuan Coleman all randomly there.

I was in grad school 2010-2012, and there was nothing better than a Monday burger special and a pitcher of Dundee Honey Ale for $7, including tip.

In the daytime.

Exactly the same experience from 2010-2013 for me. Maybe with an extra pitcher thrown in for good measure.

Really enjoy the Marriott/Hotel Syracuse pregame with the shuttle to campus. Easy free parking (with purchase of the bus ticket) is nice too.

Really enjoy the Marriott/Hotel Syracuse pregame with the shuttle to campus. Easy free parking (with purchase of the bus ticket) is nice too.
I have read stories about people pregaming at the Hotel Syracuse going back to just after Archbold opened in 1907. Really glad order has been restored and that place is doing well again. Are people hanging out at Shaughnessy's only, or at Eleven Waters and The Cavalier Room too?