your ideal first play Saturday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

your ideal first play Saturday

That moment will forever be etched in my memory.

We had finally gotten rid of GRob. The great mistake was over. Echos from the our glorious past were awakened as start of a new era in Syracuse football was here.

We watched as the prodigal son had returned to quarterback our program back to national prominence. An entire off-season of renewed optimism, excitement and hope were all distilled into this first snap......that went gracefully sailing over Paulus's head.

syracuse090509z.jpg

And the entire Syracuse football family had the exact same reaction...What WAS THAT?!?

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/What-face.jpg

So true. I flew back to cny from Minneapolis to watch the game in person. Beautiful weather, pre-game tailgaits were rocking. Huge crowd heading up to the Dome--there was just a different vibe in the air, you could just feel it before the game started.

Packed house, Dome is going crazy, and then that play happens. Two plays later, Minnesota punches it in and we're down 0-7.

Talk about deflating.

MPG creams the NW QB Davis picks up the ball and scores

That moment will forever be etched in my memory.

We had finally gotten rid of GRob. The great mistake was over. Echos from the our glorious past were awakened as start of a new era in Syracuse football was here.

We watched as the prodigal son had returned to quarterback our program back to national prominence. An entire off-season of renewed optimism, excitement and hope were all distilled into this first snap......that went gracefully sailing over Paulus's head.

syracuse090509z.jpg

And the entire Syracuse football family had the exact same reaction...What WAS THAT?!?

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/What-face.jpg

The biggest "What' moment in my memory of SU football. I can only imagine what Doug was thinking.

We defer. Norton kicks the ball through the endzone and NW starts on their 20.
On their first play from scrimmage, MPB gets penetration into the backfield and causes a fumble, which Spruil picks up and returns for a TD.

I think the defense is going to be much improved this year (for that matter, so will the offense).

We defer. Norton kicks the ball through the endzone and NW starts on their 20.
On their first play from scrimmage, MPB gets penetration into the backfield and causes a fumble, which Spruil picks up and returns for a TD.

I think the defense is going to be much improved this year (for that matter, so will the offense).

FYI, rule change this year that NW will start at the 25 on a kickoff touchback.

This probably isn't what you were angling for, but my ideal first play would be a big kickoff return out to the 40+, which gives our offense a short field to work with and helps the offense establish rhythm on the first series.

For Jeremycuse's dad a wheel route to david stevens

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

FYI, rule change this year that NW will start at the 25 on a kickoff touchback.
Right you are. And there was just a thread that discussed the changes, but I guess this info was stored in my RAM memory and not my hard drive.
As someone posted in this thread, I'd gladly trade-off letting our opponent start on their 25 instead of their 40 or 45. There's nothing more momentum-killing than on the ensuing KO after a score, yielding a big return to our opponent.

How about a touchback? When was the last time we had one of those?

How about a touchback? When was the last time we had one of those?

There will be many more touchbacks now in college football with the ball being 5 yards closer. But with the touchback coming out to the 25 vs the 20, I expect coaches to train kickers to kick it higher and to the goal line.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

off tackle Jerome Smith plows into the secondary for a gain of 15. Lock it up.