Your Official SU IUP Game Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU IUP Game Thread

Nailed it, I said that earlier in chat. Seems like he catches and shoots no matter what happens and he gets the ball. Hopefully JB will slow him down a bit.

I didn't see it that way. I thought White was very good, and didn't force it too much. Too bad there's no box score online. Maybe Syracuse.com will post one.

I don't understand why it's negative for me to point out a player of ours had a bad game. Frank looked like a freshman point guard who forced almost everything he did. I didn't say one thing that was unfair.

Frank looked 10x better than last year. He made shots, for starters.

White needs to play better team ball. He shoots when no one is in good position to rebound. I think its based on where he came from. I hope he improves his team game.

He finished with 3 assists. That's more than Frankie had. He did take a couple shots too early, though, before we had all arrived on the offensive end. But I thought he moved the ball pretty well for a guy who supposedly can't play guard.

I agree. My starting lineup would be Gillon, Battle, Lydon, White and Thompson.

Interesting--over Roberson?

Thompson needs some sand in the bucket. Will be interesting to see if he can hold up defensively. And to your point from another thread, I give Coleman / Chukwu a slight pass tonight, as playing smaller teams is tough for bigs like them to chase around.

RF2044 said:
He'll be in the starting lineup as the 2 very soon.

Battle was great, but JB rarely makes changes based on exhibition performances. Southerland once hit 6 3's in an exhibition game..

White will continue to start and play big minutes at the 2.

Battle was great, but JB rarely makes changes based on exhibition performances. Southerland once hit 6 3's in an exhibition game..

Interesting example, but I'm not sure that comparison holds. Battle brings a lot more to the table as a frosh than Southerland did as a frosh. And he's ascending in practice. If he continues to deliver, he'll be in the starting lineup very, very soon. At which time, White will move to the 3 to accommodate Battle playing 2.

Thompson needs some sand in the bucket. Will be interesting to see if he can hold up defensively. And to your point from another thread, I give Coleman / Chukwu a slight pass tonight, as playing smaller teams is tough for bigs like them to chase around.

No way Robie doesn't start. He may get less minutes due to other guys playing well/matchups, but a 4-year player who can rebound and be generally productive (14 & 7 in 20-something minutes is outstanding), isn't not starting as a Senior on a JB-coached team.

Don't even think DC or Chewie need that pass - they both acquitted themselves fairly well.
PC is mobile and active, and a solid rebounder. He didn't have a ton of blocks, but that's because IUP is well-coached, and they pulled up or shot floaters, rather than trying to challenge him.
He could be a bigger, upgraded version of the Matrix for us, minus the oven mitts.

Thompson has a more refined game than expected. He's the most offensively-ready/skilled big as a Frosh that we've had since?...

Changed it before I saw your post. Roberson would be needed for rebounding and interior defense.

jordoo said:
He's a bright lights player though. You can see it right away. No moment will be too big for him.

He's perfect coming off the bench as a spark plug. Has Dion type of confidence. Could end up that high in the draft as well.

Still early though. Let's see what happens in games that count.

Great first game though.

He's perfect coming off the bench as a spark plug. Has Dion type of confidence. Could end up that high in the draft as well.

Still early though. Let's see what happens in games that count.

Great first game though.
His jump shot obviously looks weird but looking like he has a better jumper than Dion. I have always thought TB would be a real good player but was worried he would look like more of a wing than a 2 guard. Tonite anyway he looked very comfortable as a 2 guard. And yes! He had that Dion type confidence...

Call me crazy but I really think Tyus Battle is the best player on this team. If he's making threes like he was tonight, WATCH OUT

Call me crazy but I really think Tyus Battle is the best player on this team. If he's making threes like he was tonight, WATCH OUT

everyone looks great when they are hitting threes. i recall southerland going crazy with threes in one of his first exhibition games. Not saying battle isnt the real deal though.

I was told this was not possible and would not happen.

I was told this was not possible and would not happen.

It's not, and it won't -- because that's not what's best for the team long-term.

Feel free to read all of the game assessments from Tuesday. Or better yet, watch the game and form your own conclusion.

Battle won't be out of the starting lineup for long.

Last edited:
It's not, and it won't -- because that's not what's best for the team long-term.

Feel free to read all of the game assessments from Tuesday. Or better yet, watch the game and form your own conclusion.

Battle won't be out of the starting lineup for long.

Your opinion, which is not that of the coach and does have an actual chance of being wrong.

In this case, not much of a chance.
Why not? The starting lineup is especially tricky this year.

Just because you are good, or even the better player does not mean you will start. Looks like JB is trying to accommodate AW3 with some time at the 2, including starting there. This does not bode well for TB starting.

Okey doke.

I'm just happy that now the season is here, and it will all be played out on the court.

So many of the assumptions / predictions stated this summer as fact were off target, and now everybody will see for themselves how things will play out and what the player's individual capabilities are.

As well it should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom