Your Official SU-SCSU Game Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU-SCSU Game Thread

first half was obv as putrid as you can get... 2nd half the press was mostly effective, defense much more active... FH had nice 2nd half, so did Oshae...
ton of work to do but I think there are pieces that, if JB can put them together in such a way, can make for a decent team by later in season...
(hope those bagging on Thorpe realize he's still considerably less than 100% healthy - clearly could not move around very well out there - hope that ankle heals up in next couple weeks)

first half was obv as putrid as you can get... 2nd half the press was mostly effective, defense much more active... FH had nice 2nd half, so did Oshae...
ton of work to do but I think there are pieces that, if JB can put them together in such a way, can make for a decent team by later in season...
(hope those bagging on Thorpe realize he's still considerably less than 100% healthy - clearly could not move around very well out there - hope that ankle heals up in next couple weeks)
Agreed on Thorpe. Usually takes us 40+ guys a long time to recover from those injuries.

Some thoughts.

1) Battle is gonna have a lot of games where he scores like 20 points on something like 7-21 shooting. I predict Burganesque year where he has to shoot way too much against too much defensive pressure because that's the only option.

2) Brissett is really, really good. Not sure if he's going to be good enough to be consistent through the full season and give a good enough 2nd option after Battle to make this a 0.500 ACC team, but his long term potential is excellent.

3) Frank Howard might be ready to contribute something meaningful in the scoring department but he's still not a PG. But he's probably going to our 3rd best player...

4) Chuckwu is actually a lot better than I expected. Not saying he isn't terrible, but at least he can move around a little this year. This says more about my expectations than anything else.

5) Thorpe looks like a guy from a terrible team who scores 15 points against SU in a game his team loses by 18, because... someone is gonna score in double figures. Very unimpressed. Left his feet with no idea what he was going to do with the ball about 5 or 6 times - Kaleb Joseph style.

6) Moyer. Dude plays hard.

7) Marek. Dude plays hard.

8) Moyer revisited. He's all knees and elbows. The way he moves around reminds me of Dennis Rodman, only he has no idea what he's doing out there. But he plays hard.

9) Marek revisited. He's feisty but has NO strength. How is he going to score in ACC play? Nice anticipation, good length, good defensive awareness, but all this talk about him scoring off dribble drives sounds ludicrous to me. His handle looks terrible, every time he dribbled the ball came up to his chest. How is this guy gonna score on anything other than garbage/fastbreaks? His shot looks like it needs a ton of work. But he plays hard.

10) I actually like Moyer and Marek as guys who could help down the line but the thought of major minutes for either of these guys this year is a little scary.

11) Howard Washington - unless Thorpe really is as bad as he looked tonight, I can't see him getting meaningful minutes.

12) Sidibe - I like his potential. A lot.

13) Really, really, really scared to go into this season with so little experience and topline talent. I hope these guys improve a lot and surprise me, but I'm not expecting anything beyond NIT.

Mason
Agree across the board.

Don't sweat it. You're right. I can't remember the last season we had a functional offense.
We were a top 30 offense (per efficiency metrics) last season. So unless you’re being sarcastic, that’s just a dumb comment.

We were a top 30 offense (per efficiency metrics) last season. So unless you’re being sarcastic, that’s just a dumb comment.

True but I think it is fair to question the schematics though. We had some crazy good shooting last year and White who was probably the toughest contested shot taker/maker I’ve ever seen at SU or in college. Probably Boeheim’s best 3Pt shooting and one of the best FT shooting teams. Honestly that team didn’t generate a lot of movement of offense, IMO. It was lots of one pass and a launch, pass it around the perimeter and launch, or White hitting a crazy shot off of a curl. Maybe Boeheim can call up some mid-major coach and ask him how they draw up plays to free up players, cutters, how to screen, etc.

Last edited:
Agree across the board.
Thorpe will be a key contributor, at least as productive as Gillon was last season. He’s been out for weeks with an ankle injury and may still be hurting, plus he’s still learning the offensive and defensive systems.

True but I think it is fair to question the schematics though. We had some crazy good shooting last year and White who was probably the toughest contested shot taker I’ve ever seen at SU or in college. Probably Boeheim’s best 3Pt shooting and one of the best FT shooting teams. Honestly that team didn’t generate a lot of movement of offense, IMO. It was lots of one pass and a launch, pass it around the perimeter and launch, or White hitting a crazy shot off of a curl. Maybe Boeheim can call up some mid-major coach and ask him how they draw up plays to free up players, cutters, how to screen, etc.

Agree. We really COULD use an offensive coordinator.

Thorpe will be a key contributor, at least as productive as Gillon was last season. He’s been out for weeks with an ankle injury and may still be hurting, plus he’s still learning the offensive and defensive systems.
may still be hurting? he could barely move out there - am guessing it's one of those slow-healing high ankle sprains

Agree. We really COULD use an offensive coordinator.

I mean how many easy layups, dunks, etc., have we generated in the HALFCOURT the past three years or so? Not many. I think I can count them all with my ten fingers. That’s like sirens blasting/alarms going off. Crazy.

Last edited:
The assists, especially in the first half were a function of not making shots. We shot like 25% for the half and it was probably 15% the first 15 mins. We had 1 asst in the first half.

It’s not just that. Off of a pass a player would then drive out of control for an offensive foul/turnover. Ball movement was atrocious. Unless the strategy is to shoot off of one pass which wouldn’t necessarily surprise me.

It’s not just that. Off of a pass a player would then drive out of control for an offensive foul/turnover. Ball movement was atrocious. Unless the strategy is to shoot off of one pass which wouldn’t necessarily surprise me.
The crazy thing about this game is for a decent period of time I forgot the opponent was a D2 school. That's how bad we are

I mean how many easy layups, dunks, etc., have we generated in the HALFCOURT the past three years or so? Not many. I think I can count them all with my ten fingers. That’s like sirens blasting/alarms going off. Crazy.

Shoot, Hungry Chuck could probably even count them on his fingers.

The crazy thing about this game is for a decent period of time I forgot the opponent was a D2 school. That's how bad we are

Yeah, it’s early still obviously. Lots of basics just aren’t happening.

not just you, and yes the 1st half was beyond atrocious - but 14 pts in the first 2+ minutes of 2nd half and 60 total for the half suggests maybe not as bad as the melodrama on here right now would indicate

I’m just talking in the halfcourt. It’s bad. But, the defense improved a LOT in the 2H and press helped too. But, I think we should all be very concerned about attacking a set D1 defense.

I’m just talking in the halfcourt. It’s bad. But, the defense improved a LOT in the 2H and press helped too. But, I think we should all be very concerned about attacking a set D1 defense.
for sure the halfcourt O in the two exhibitions was bad - I think there's clear potential for it to improve as the team gels, though

True but I think it is fair to question the schematics though. We had some crazy good shooting last year and White who was probably the toughest contested shot taker I’ve ever seen at SU or in college. Probably Boeheim’s best 3Pt shooting and one of the best FT shooting teams. Honestly that team didn’t generate a lot of movement of offense, IMO. It was lots of one pass and a launch, pass it around the perimeter and launch, or White hitting a crazy shot off of a curl. Maybe Boeheim can call up some mid-major coach and ask him how they draw up plays to free up players, cutters, how to screen, etc.
Yeah, you nailed it with this. I don't care what the numbers say. The eye test told me everything I needed to know about our offense last year. The ball movement in our half court offense has been bad, and still looks to be that way so far this year. Basically it came down to White bailing us out, by hitting a ton of contested jumpers.

I actually think that there is potential for this team to be able to move the ball better, but once again, it's going to come down to Frank. I just don't see him as a PG(I really hope I am wrong). If we didn't have Tyus, and Frank had to play off the ball, I don't think I would hate that, as he seems so much more comfortable in that role. As others have said he's our third best player, but not playing his best position. Those three are going to be tired this year!

I applaud the effort to say something nice about Frank.

We should all try.
He was the best player on the floor tonight and it wasn't close. Sad but true. He had a tremendous stat line and impact

He was the best player on the floor tonight and it wasn't close. Sad but true. He had a tremendous stat line and impact

Frank? Tremendous? Come on, man. I think Oshae, Tyus, and Frank were all ok and all played better in the 2H obviously. I don’t think one really stuck out more than the others though Oshae did some good dirty work inside and got us out of a rut. He’s a good looking player for sure.

Last edited:
First half was as bad of a basketball game you'll see from Syracuse. If this was the season and a competent D1 team, that game would have been over. This is a very young and raw team. The upcoming season will be trial by fire for most of the group. If they make the NCAA Tournament, that should be an accomplishment in itself. I'm expecting this group to be a lot better by season's end and true contenders in the 2018-19 season. Oshae Brissett will end up as one of the steals of the 2017 class. Moves very well for his size and can stretch the floor with his shot. Liked what I saw from Frank last night. That step back three isn't a shot he wouldn't have taken last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom