Zag Postgame Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Zag Postgame Thoughts...

Some things for me..

- I thought we would get rocked in Maui so the fact we've gone 0-2 is not surprising to me, but the means to the end matter for us for rest of season outlook.

- Effort in the first half both ways was terrible. Effort improved a bunch the first 10' of the 2nd half, then we cratered. Several times to get a stop and cut it down to 5 or so and we did not rebound or get a loose ball, leading to a 3. Not good.

- Obviously still figuring out rotations. Not sure what the answers are.

- Need more from Taylor. Expected more. Not seeing it though.

- Outside shooting and rebounding, 2 huge aspects of basketball, are a glaring problem.

- Shooters shoot and misses happen but Bell getting what, 17 shots? Yikes.

- 3-24 from 3 and only 6 assists.

- Bill Walton (I love him, personally) had a lot more fun than I did. My favorite quote- "an indescribably bad play by Syracuse" when we, again, could not inbound the ball and turned it over leading to fast break.

Some things for me..

- I thought we would get rocked in Maui so the fact we've gone 0-2 is not surprising to me, but the means to the end matter for us for rest of season outlook.

- Effort in the first half both ways was terrible. Effort improved a bunch the first 10' of the 2nd half, then we cratered. Not good.

- Obviously still figuring out rotations. Not sure what the answers are.

- Need more from Taylor. Expected more. Not seeing it though.

- Outside shooting and rebounding, 2 huge aspects of basketball, are a glaring problem.

- Shooters shoot and misses happen but Bell getting what, 17 shots? Yikes.

- Bill Walton (I love him, personally) had a lot more fun than I did. My favorite quote- "an indescribably bad play by Syracuse" when we, again, could not inbound the ball and turned it over leading to fast break.
Best quote imo was when he said he was going to look for a rainbow at half time.

Pretty much worst case scenario so far. I’m not 100% convinced we will beat Chaminade. Hawaii was always going to be tough for this team. They’ll either respond and get better to be competitive and respectable this year or they will collapse and finish below .500.

I’m concerned this team has too many critical flaws (shooting and rebounding being the biggest) and Red is too inexperienced to figure out a system to mask those flaws. Could be a very long year.

The one silver lining is these aren’t bad losses. Season is still young but the team right now is pretty awful. Let’s beat Chaminade and then LSU at home. 5-2 with losses to Tenn and the Zags keeps the season in front of us. Totally agree about today, nothing good. Team seriously lacks shooting threats.

The one silver lining is these aren’t bad losses. Season is still young but the team right now is pretty awful. Let’s beat Chaminade and then LSU at home. 5-2 with losses to Tenn and the Zags keeps the season in front of us. Totally agree about today, nothing good. Team seriously lacks shooting threats.
We are a sub-100 Kenpom team and getting worse with these losses. They are indeed bad losses.

We have a lot of opportunity to get better. If we don't this will be a terrible season. Yes, the teams we played in Hawaii are better than we are but man there is a tom of disparity between top teams and Syracuse this year. I felt a pang of hurt when Walton went on saying, Where's Carmelo, Dave Bing, Coleman, Owens, Seikally, Moten, etc. Those players, except Bing, Iam too young to remember him are a distant memory.

I saw about 35 minutes of basketball this week that made me think Syracuse can hang with anyone in the country. Problem is, they played 80 minutes, and the other 45 made me wonder if they are going to beat Chaminade.

It's really up to them how good or bad they're going to be this year. They're not talented enough to drift through games and beat ~anyone, but they have enough talent to give anyone a good fight if they play hard for 40 minutes and avoid too many dumb mistakes.

Gun to my head right now, we don't see a single full game from them this year. But it's early, so hopefully they prove me wrong. But today was ugly enough from an effort and basketball IQ standpoint to leave a lasting impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom