10 Years Ago Today: Devo & Greatest Game Ever | Syracusefan.com

10 Years Ago Today: Devo & Greatest Game Ever

One of my biggest sports regrets is that I didn’t go down to the BET that year.

The entire game is on YouTube, FYI. It’s not in HD though. One of these years, I hope there’ll be an HD version available.

Watched it in Hawaii with a dude from Sherill and his wife. The bartender was going to close up once regulation was over, but he said as long we kept buying drinks, he'd stay open. So he did.

In some ways it seems like more than ten years ago. The game is legendary and mythical at the same time.

Agreed -- seems like it was a lot longer than 10 years ago.

What a game. I remember being up / emotionally drained until like 1am CST when the game finally ended, then staying up another two hours watching clips on ESPN repeat over and over again.

Obviously, as an SU fan I am biased -- but it is tough to envision a more exciting game than that.

Buddy handled regulation, Eric Devendorf's almost game-winner, and the first two overtimes OK.

After two overtimes, though: “He’s sitting there sweating bullets, crying his eyes out, saying he doesn’t feel good," Juli Boeheim said.

So they went underneath at Madison Square Garden and had nurses check him out. He was fine, but they watched the last four overtimes from the players' lounge. As the 6thOT wound down, Buddy began to feel better as he realized SU would win, and they headed back out to celebrate.

Managers took a 9-year old Buddy out to McDonald's afterward. He wasn't back to the hotel until 3:30 a.m. Buddy: "That was my favorite trip as a Syracuse basketball fan growing up."

HDTV started around 2006, so whenever you see highlights of sporting events that happened after that (e.g. the 2009 6OT game), it seems like it happened very recently because the video quality never degrades. Whereas when we see clips of the 2003 season, it looks grainy already.

My random memories:
- MSG playing "Shook me all night long" and "After Midnight" during the OT intermissions. Was a funny touch.
- As 1am approached, everyone else in my row who needed a metro north train home, debating on bailing to catch the last train and missing the end to a historic game or staying and figuring it out later. Nothing that anyone would have thought they would have needed to plan for, for a 9:30 tip.
- Beer was cut off at halftime if I remember, as it was the last game. Ouch. Who would have known we'd be there another 3 hours.
- Watching the walk on guard (Thomas I think) doing jumping jacks to warm up while the other 9 players on the court hunched over.

I think I remember Calhoun throwing his players under the bus in the post-game.

So many fantastic calls from the announcers.
"Rautins looks fresh as a daisy!" *as he comes off a screen and bangs home a 25-footer*

Take me back ...

Agreed -- seems like it was a lot longer than 10 years ago.
Funny...because the game doesn't seem 10 years ago to me.
But in terms of Syracuse's play it seems an eternity.

The best thing of the many highlights is Andy Rautins' 3 off the curl to tie the game in the third OT.
And I'd forgotten he did that with a defender in his shorts.
How we miss that.

Rautins was a bad man. Should have been league MVP his senior year. That video was a great reminder of the Paul Harris rim block that he specialized in.

Useless food for thought:
2 weeks ago Syracuse was whistled for 26 fouls against UNC.
Syracuse was whistled for 30 fouls 10 years ago, in a game that was nearly double in length.

Oh and UCONN went 24-42 from the line in that game. YUCK.

That 09’ team was one of my all-time favorites. After back to back NIT showings in 07’ and 08’, the 09’ squad was a breath of fresh air. Flynn is one of my favorite guards, and KONG was a fan favorite. They really gelled towards the end of the season and ran into a buzzsaw in Blake Griffin and Oklahoma. I think if we’d gotten past OU we would have made the Final Four.

I hated Blake Griffin for YEARS after that game, and it’s also hilarious how overrated we all thought James Harden would be based on his awful showing against us in the round of 32. Hindsight is 20/20.