10 Years Ago Today: Devo & Greatest Game Ever | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

10 Years Ago Today: Devo & Greatest Game Ever

My kingdom for a point guard like me flynn

Flynn and AO. A pure PG who can routinely penetrate and make good things happen, and a post player that you can go to on the block and get a bucket.

We have not had a player in the mold of either of those guys in years.

Seriously, I can't think of a better compliment to this team than Jonny Flynn. Dude could straight up take it to the rack, and was great at setting up other players. We have lacked really solid PG play all year, and Flynn could have solved that.

I was there. Still have the ticket. Went with my brother. We were 20 and 18 at the time. Just remembered watching Devo's shot on the other side of the court and getting ready to Adios of there.

I'm from NJ and took the ferry in. Last ferry was around midnight so I had my mother drive in to midtown Manhattan to come pick us up. She got there around the 2nd over time and stayed outside until the game was over. Just a basketball game, but those are the types of memories that make sports special.

Happen to watch the game just last weekend on YouTube. People complain about today's team dribbling a lot with the primary offense being the dribble drive. That was the whole game then! Of course they had a pg who could do it consistently and he was only 6 ft tall.

That team had a collection of guys with huge balls. Devo, Harris Flynn heck the whole crew were in your face tough as nails ballers. They would absolutely destroy this years team on off the court.

Man Devos shot still looks good

I had three thoughts when I watched this:

1) Damn, that was fun.
2) Why, Flynn, why settle for a 3 and not take advantage of a switch in a tie game with 3 or 4 seconds on the clock? Get a better shot and don't leave them with time to get anything off.
3) And most of all, Devendorf took some crap for his mechanics, but it's been a long time since I've seen an SU player step into his jumpshot so cleanly and effectively. It's 180 degrees opposite the Battle/Brissett step-back we see all the time, and it's absolutely the reason Devendorf was a better shooter despite having a rotation I've heard described as a knuckleball.

I was there. Still have the ticket. Went with my brother. We were 20 and 18 at the time. Just remembered watching Devo's shot on the other side of the court and getting ready to Adios of there.

I'm from NJ and took the ferry in. Last ferry was around midnight so I had my mother drive in to midtown Manhattan to come pick us up. She got there around the 2nd over time and stayed outside until the game was over. Just a basketball game, but those are the types of memories that make sports special.

Why not take the path train to Hoboken??

Your mom should have gotten the MVP

Not just Devo, but on those curls Rautins was so quick to square to the basket and get his shot off.

No one on the last few teams could do that half as well as Rautins could. Buddy might get there in time, IMO his release might be a touch faster. On the current team, it seems like everyone is taking set shots off of a screen these days.

I had three thoughts when I watched this:

1) Damn, that was fun.
2) Why, Flynn, why settle for a 3 and not take advantage of a switch in a tie game with 3 or 4 seconds on the clock? Get a better shot and don't leave them with time to get anything off.
3) And most of all, Devendorf took some crap for his mechanics, but it's been a long time since I've seen an SU player step into his jumpshot so cleanly and effectively. It's 180 degrees opposite the Battle/Brissett step-back we see all the time, and it's absolutely the reason Devendorf was a better shooter despite having a rotation I've heard described as a knuckleball.
1. Yep
2. IIRC he was gassed and didn’t think he could get there. Also Thabeet.
3. Agreed. I don’t care about form if it goes in.

That team played some good m2m when JB relented and let them. Wished he gave it a chance vs Oklahoma. Letting Beasley or whatever his name roam freely behind the zone just made no sense. We had big dudes in Rick and AO but they were neutralized because they could never put a body on him.

That team played some good m2m when JB relented and let them. Wished he gave it a chance vs Oklahoma. Letting Beasley or whatever his name roam freely behind the zone just made no sense. We had big dudes in Rick and AO but they were neutralized because they could never put a body on him.

Blake Griffin?

The reason we lost is by so much is because we let one of their scrubs go nuts from 3.

Blake Griffin?

The reason we lost is by so much is because we let one of their scrubs go nuts from 3.

Tony Crocker, with his stupid long-sleeved undershirt.

Flynn and Devendorf put about as much effort into defending him that night as Oklahoma did. That game was ugly, Oklahoma could've named the final score.

Tony Crocker, with his stupid long-sleeved undershirt.

Flynn and Devendorf put about as much effort into defending him that night as Oklahoma did. That game was ugly, Oklahoma could've named the final score.
Flynn loved playing m2m and it may have been a much more competitive game if we put him on Crocker. Not to mention the offensive rebounding ineptitude with Griffin.

Just looked at the stats and Crocker was a 32% 3 point shooter that year and of course he had the game of his life against us.