10th best year since Ben S in SRS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

10th best year since Ben S in SRS

As I thought.

Marrone is overvalued on this board, IMO. Won a lot of coin flips (credit to him, he won them) that could have gone either way, and played a pretty mediocre schedule for the most part.

Last year's 4-8 team was better (by this metric) than the 2010 team. And I don't think it's wrong, either.

That's right because 2012 didn't happen (SRS 50% greater than the next best season between 2001 and 2018 and 2x the next best season after that) and he inherited a program that just had three of the six worst seasons in program history according to this magic metric the four years prior.

And god forbid 2012 is slightly behind a season that Art Monk, Joe Morris, Jim Collins, Craig Wolfley and Bill Hurley were on the team.

Yep, overrated suckage.

Reactions: CIL
He did accomplished a lot with not much to work with, even factoring in an easy schedule. His first year he had 2 months to recruit and brought in a class that had kids their own H.S. teams didn't know played football. He then doubled down booting/letting a bunch of players leave. So you factor that into the equation, he would be getting a lot of credit if it weren't for all the snowflakes upset at how he left.

I'm not upset that he left for an NFL job. *Any* Syracuse HC should make that move if they want.

He did a disservice to the school by leaving when he did, both in the calendar year (finding a replacement) and in the rebuild (we just got to a spot where a jump to sustained success was possible) and for the program (the year we were joining the ACC).

I mean - the guy can do what he wants and the Bills job is an NFL gig, but he sure did kick his alma mater in the balls on the way out

That's right because 2012 didn't happen (SRS 50% greater than the next best season between 2001 and 2018 and 2x the next best season after that) and he inherited a program that just had three of the six worst seasons in program history according to this magic metric the four years prior.

And god forbid 2012 is slightly behind a season that Art Monk, Joe Morris, Jim Collins, Craig Wolfley and Bill Hurley were on the team.

Yep, overrated suckage.

He didn't say he sucked. He said he is overvalued by the board.

I'm not upset that he left for an NFL job. *Any* Syracuse HC should make that move if they want.

He did a disservice to the school by leaving when he did, both in the calendar year (finding a replacement) and in the rebuild (we just got to a spot where a jump to sustained success was possible) and for the program (the year we were joining the ACC).

I mean - the guy can do what he wants and the Bills job is an NFL gig, but he sure did kick his alma mater in the balls on the way out

I don't disagree with most of that. I also don't care that much either like some people on the board seem to. Half the people annoyed with what he did would do the same thing at their own jobs.

2010 features the #107th ranked SOS. It is the worst SOS we've ever had when in a conference.

And by SRS, 2017 was the better team.

It was *important* - but it was fools gold a bit and probably was a net zero as to getting us to where we wanted to get. 2012 was the best Marrone year and it's not close. He also short-circuited all the progress by leaving when he did.
2012 was fun because we finally got a good offense and by the end of the year they were pretty good. but the whole year could've been better.

minnesota and rutgers losses were bad. Should've been a 10-3 type of year.

I don't disagree with most of that. I also don't care that much either like some people on the board seem to. Half the people annoyed with what he did would do the same thing at their own jobs.

I'd say the big unknown was just how toxic his relationship with Gross was or how unlikely an IPF and other recruiting improvements were. It's def got a whiff of "easy for you to say I should have stayed, you weren't living it"...

2012 was fun because we finally got a good offense and by the end of the year they were pretty good. but the whole year could've been better.

Agreed. Pugh being out hurt - as did the slow realization that running the ball would be the key to the whole thing.

Yep, overrated suckage.

As was posted, never said he or what he did sucked. But the Marrone tenure is overvalued by the board.

2012 was fun and I thought by the end of the year we were Top 25 level.

He is very much a person who has a role in an organization that is on the decline or at the bottom of the barrel (RE: Syracuse, Buffalo, Jacksonville). Remains to be seen how he does in the growth/maturity phase, because he never sticks around to see it.

2:31:00 mark. Relive the horror

My favorite part of this is the Icehouse commercial at 2:07:30. Does this brand even exist anymore? The ad is hilarious, a total 180 from current beer advertising - instead of pretentiousness and local sourcing, we've got a reckless fat idiot behind the wheel of a truck. Good times!

The timing (calendar year) of when he left wasn't that different than when Mac left. With regards to the rebuild, there was more to do, but you take an NFL job when you have the chance, if that's where you think you belong. The bigger mistake was made with hiring his replacement.

Bad clock management cost us the Nortwestern game. All we needed was FG, should have run 3 plays, and kicked, not throw to the end zone on 1st down.

As I thought.

Marrone is overvalued on this board, IMO. Won a lot of coin flips (credit to him, he won them) that could have gone either way, and played a pretty mediocre schedule for the most part.

Last year's 4-8 team was better (by this metric) than the 2010 team. And I don't think it's wrong, either.

Obviously disagree.

He was great at SU.

You play the schedule you're given.

He inherited a mess.

He beat good NW, WVU, Missouri, K-State, Rutgers, and other teams and won two bowl games.

Obviously disagree.

He was great at SU.

You play the schedule you're given.

He inherited a mess.

He beat good NW, WVU, Missouri, K-State, Rutgers, and other teams and won two bowl games.
If he got to 10 wins in 2012, I'd agree - that's the difference between good and great IMO

2010 features the #107th ranked SOS. It is the worst SOS we've ever had when in a conference.

And by SRS, 2017 was the better team.

It was *important* - but it was fools gold a bit and probably was a net zero as to getting us to where we wanted to get. 2012 was the best Marrone year and it's not close. He also short-circuited all the progress by leaving when he did.

Yes -- we have hashed this through, multiple times. The timing was not up to Marrone. The Bills offered him NFL money. Worst case for SU., given the state of our recruiting, disruption to the class, and bad options for the AD.
Still, regardless of SOS or SRS, the 2010 and 2012 seasons exceeded expectations and ended well. 2017 was too much like 2011 (though the team was better).

If he got to 10 wins in 2012, I'd agree - that's the difference between good and great IMO

Maybe to me it's the difference between great at SU and great for SU.

He was great for SU. Things were just so god awful bad. If we hired a dud after GRob, it might have been so much harder to get up off of the carpet.

Dino is better for SU now.

I was impossibly blind drunk for that game but there was plenty of time to overcome those two TDs

that team lost 7 of its next 8

And Buffalo came back from

He inherited a situation that is simply not comparable to what Dino inherited - in terms of conference status, money, and infrastructure development.

I remember so well when he disclosed that the football program did not even have basic medical/training facilities. He stated at the time, "just get me facilities that are in the middle of the conference and I'll win championships"

The fact that he got that team to a bowl and won the game in his second year was nothing short of great.

He was a great coach at Syracuse University.

Last edited:
Such a predictable first drive...get to the 21, run twice, and McNabb throws a ball 10 yards from any Syracuse receiver.

Those were fun times, but I don't miss the whole R2P2 aspect to the offense.

Yeah, those offenses were tough to watch.

Don't disagree. He did well winning 8 games that year, but we played nobody and scraped past our opponents by the skin of our teeth.

Just don't think Marrone was as good as people make him out to be. Just my opinion.

Marrone took over a program that GRob cratered into Mother Earth. 5-37.

Literally. 5-37.

Marrone took the program that was in decline for nearly a decade and enhanced it mightily. Not through recruiting, but from being a very skilled tactician at the right time.

The guy is a jerk but did a helluva job here all things considered.

My favorite part of this is the Icehouse commercial at 2:07:30. Does this brand even exist anymore? The ad is hilarious, a total 180 from current beer advertising - instead of pretentiousness and local sourcing, we've got a reckless fat idiot behind the wheel of a truck. Good times!
It’s about as bad as you would expect.
D051B486-2DD5-4B87-ADAE-DF9F781ADF91.png

It was the Miami game that killed me the most. UNC was really good, had already played a game, and just took advantage of our new WRs. Minny - yeah that sucked, but hangovers happen.

We fixed everything, were rolling, Miami comes in and they weren't as good as the previous years. Dome was a madhouse at the start. We're playing for an undefeated Big East season and the Sugar Bowl.

For the first 33 minutes, it was pretty much all Miami. Then we got our act together but too little too late.

That game had one of the absolute worst blown calls that wouldn't have happened today with replay because it was glarinly ovbious that the ball had actually hit the Miami gunners' shoulderpad as he hit Spotwood and they called it a fumble and gave Miami the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom