10th best year since Ben S in SRS | Syracusefan.com

10th best year since Ben S in SRS

It kills me how much that 1996 team underachieved. That team should have been 11-1 and in the BCS.
We would have been two years too early for the BCS, but a sweet bowl game would have been nice.

We would have been two years too early for the BCS, but a sweet bowl game would have been nice.

Whoops, should have said Bowl Alliance. Orange Bowl vs Nebraska instead of Liberty Bowl vs Houston.

It kills me how much that 1996 team underachieved. That team should have been 11-1 and in the BCS.

It was the Miami game that killed me the most. UNC was really good, had already played a game, and just took advantage of our new WRs. Minny - yeah that sucked, but hangovers happen.

We fixed everything, were rolling, Miami comes in and they weren't as good as the previous years. Dome was a madhouse at the start. We're playing for an undefeated Big East season and the Sugar Bowl.

For the first 33 minutes, it was pretty much all Miami. Then we got our act together but too little too late.

It was the Miami game that killed me the most. UNC was really good, had already played a game, and just took advantage of our new WRs. Minny - yeah that sucked, but hangovers happen.

We fixed everything, were rolling, Miami comes in and they weren't as good as the previous years. Dome was a madhouse at the start. We're playing for an undefeated Big East season and the Sugar Bowl.

For the first 33 minutes, it was pretty much all Miami. Then we got our act together but too little too late.
The 1996 team just took too long to find an answer to replace Harrison. Spotwood was a RF. Johnson was just starting to step into the spotlight. An elite team finds a way to overcome turnovers and beat Minnesota. NC and Miami simply looked like the better teams that year. They came in here and beat us in a packed dome. The lesson is don't overschedule unless you're cupboards are overflowing with talent and depth.

Minnesota.

That was the killer.

UNC was legit. Miami was just getting started on their run to dominance a few years later.

We just blew that Minnesota game

is that the deon maddux game that triggered joe like nothing else?

The lesson is don't overschedule unless you're cupboards are overflowing with talent and depth.

We didn’t overschedule that year. That was an extremely manageable slate.

As I thought.

Marrone is overvalued on this board, IMO. Won a lot of coin flips (credit to him, he won them) that could have gone either way, and played a pretty mediocre schedule for the most part.

Last year's 4-8 team was better (by this metric) than the 2010 team. And I don't think it's wrong, either.

Marrone is valued because 2010, with a bowl win, was like an oasis after the desert years.

Last year's 4 - 8 team was better, until it collapsed to 0 for November (with injuries).

is that the deon maddux game that triggered joe like nothing else?

Yep. Tried to cross the entire field to get out of bounds. Fumbled just before he got there.

Reactions: CIL
Marrone is valued because 2010, with a bowl win, was like an oasis after the desert years.

Last year's 4 - 8 team was better, until it collapsed to 0 for November (with injuries).

Don't disagree. He did well winning 8 games that year, but we played nobody and scraped past our opponents by the skin of our teeth.

Just don't think Marrone was as good as people make him out to be. Just my opinion.

Don't disagree. He did well winning 8 games that year, but we played nobody and scraped past our opponents by the skin of our teeth.

Just don't think Marrone was as good as people make him out to be. Just my opinion.
Do you remember how down we were after the GRob years? The fact that HCDM brought us back to respectability will always make me appreciate him, no matter how rudely he left us.

For the first 33 minutes, it was pretty much all Miami. Then we got our act together but too little too late Deon Maddox forgot that the clock stops on a first down and coughed up the ball trying to fight his way out of bounds.

Fixed.

22 years and counting and that game still kills me.

Minny - yeah that sucked, but hangovers happen.

That Minnesota game was the weirdest SU football game I've ever attended. We were light years better in every possible way, but they scored on fumble returns on back-to-back possessions by the same freaking player.

Fixed.

22 years and counting and that game still kills me.

LilJoe used to go on two tirades, and both were terrifying or entertaining, depending on your perspective.

One was that play. We couldn't even say the name Deon Maddox, it was uncomfortable. Sometimes we'd do it for fun.

The other was Konrad fumbling before the half in the 98 Tennessee game.

They both took him from slow descent into madness to way less slow descent.

That Minnesota game was the weirdest SU football game I've ever attended. We were light years better in every possible way, but they scored on fumble returns on back-to-back possessions by the same freaking player.

I was impossibly blind drunk for that game but there was plenty of time to overcome those two TDs

that team lost 7 of its next 8

Do you remember how down we were after the GRob years? The fact that HCDM brought us back to respectability will always make me appreciate him, no matter how rudely he left us.
I remember watching games that first season knowing we weren't going to be good but thinking, "Hey, we actually look like a functional football team."

He did accomplished a lot with not much to work with, even factoring in an easy schedule. His first year he had 2 months to recruit and brought in a class that had kids their own H.S. teams didn't know played football. He then doubled down booting/letting a bunch of players leave. So you factor that into the equation, he would be getting a lot of credit if it weren't for all the snowflakes upset at how he left.

2010 features the #107th ranked SOS. It is the worst SOS we've ever had when in a conference.

And by SRS, 2017 was the better team.

It was *important* - but it was fools gold a bit and probably was a net zero as to getting us to where we wanted to get. 2012 was the best Marrone year and it's not close. He also short-circuited all the progress by leaving when he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom