12 Commits: What Scares Me | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

12 Commits: What Scares Me

But the problem with the transfer portal and immediate playing time means the current good players can also transfer out when a new coach is hired. Especially as a new HC usually brings in his own staff.
You can't worry about that though. It's going to happen anyway whenever there's a coaching change, especially now when there's no wait year.

Dino has not and can’t recruit playmakers. The first two years our playmakers were recruited by another coach. We‘ve had none the past two years.
Listen -put Dungey on this team and I think 6 wins become pretty attainable. Point being we are really one good college quarterback from being respectable if not exciting. The next coach needs to have a staff that can recruit - especially the skill position coaches on offense. we need to move from the 50s-60s to the 40s.

Listen -put Dungey on this team and I think 6 wins become pretty attainable. Point being we are really one good college quarterback from being respectable if not exciting. The next coach needs to have a staff that can recruit - especially the skill position coaches on offense. we need to move from the 50s-60s to the 40s.
I think this is an interesting perspective and you may be right. Let’s say the team squeaks out 4 or 5 wins and Babers is retained. Can we expect enough improvement that next year will be “the year”? I’m having a hard time seeing it. The real problem that I see is the offensive scheme and play calling. I don’t see that changing next year. It will be interesting to see if Babers comes back which team improves more between this year and next. Us or Rutgers.

The offense is what it is. Fire the OC? Lose another season to installing a new offense. Potentially longer if you need to recruit a different type of player. By then Dino is gone and new coach brings in his own OC. Might as well keep the man in control of our 60-ish play offense maybe even that squirrel finds a nut every few games.

Syracuse football has been in a deep deep hole for the past two decades, other than a few good years sprinkled in here or there. College football is an arms race and a small, private college in the Northeast doesn’t have the ability to compete in the arms race. Best course of action is to have extremely low expectations and run the football program as a revenue center based on their membership in a P5 conference.

I just don't believe that.

Check out Northwestern's past decade, which is impressive in the Big Ten or even (groan) Boston College.

We can win. At the very least, we shouldn't be what we've been for too much of the past 20 years.

I just don't believe that.

Check out Northwestern's past decade, which is impressive in the Big Ten or even (groan) Boston College.

We can win. At the very least, we shouldn't be what we've been for too much of the past 20 years.
Northwestern is located in a major city with better high school football in the surrounding area/states to recruit from.

New York is just a bad high school football state.

Yup...and we will continue to spin our wheels. Stop me if you've heard this before. We fire a coach, recruits flip, players transfer. Year 1 record will stink, and we will say, "just wait for him to get his recruits in there." Year 2, and 3 will still stink, and then we'll hear, but in year 4, no more excuses. He will have a full roster of his recruits. Year 4 will stink, and we'll be shocked that the coach gets a fifth year. That will also stink, and we will begin the process over again.
It is like a broken record that I have heard way too many times…

There are more issues than a QB.

The offense is what it is. Fire the OC? Lose another season to installing a new offense. Potentially longer if you need to recruit a different type of player. By then Dino is gone and new coach brings in his own OC. Might as well keep the man in control of our 60-ish play offense maybe even that squirrel finds a nut every few games.
There’s no installing a new offense with Dino. It’s the same offense.