12 yrs of ypg compared to this year's median offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

12 yrs of ypg compared to this year's median offense

Pretty sobering stats. One thing that stands out is that our yards per game plummeted when P left. Of course, we stopped giving up giant What scores as well...

Clearly, Marrone's offensive output is a big step up from GRob's but he hasn't brought us back to what we were able to do offensively in P's doldrum years. That was a bit of a surprise when I saw this graph.
even in the doldrum years, they would have a game or two where they'd explode. they could always run the ball which always works against really bad teams

even in the doldrum years, they would have a game or two where they'd explode. they could always run the ball which always works against really bad teams

Yep. In 2002, the infamous 4-8 year, we scored 63 vs URI, 34 at Auburn, 45 vs Rutgers, 38 vs UCF and 50 vs Virginia Tech.

And we all HATED that year.

Now we do cartwheels for scoring 30 in regulation against Toledo.

Yep. In 2002, the infamous 4-8 year, we scored 63 vs URI, 34 at Auburn, 45 vs Rutgers, 38 vs UCF and 50 vs Virginia Tech.

And we all HATED that year.

Now we do cartwheels for scoring 30 in regulation against Toledo.

Fair point, but they still only averaged 376 ypg, which isn't that amazing and, in fact, frustratingly inconsistent. They scored 7 points two times, 16 points vs. Temple (a doormat). They also gave up 30+ points eight times. So your point is valid, but I just don't want anyone thinking there wasn't plenty of reason to hate that season. Plus our QBs threw 12 Tds and 15 INTs. I think it was more a factor of Reyes/Rhodes being and awfully impressive backfield. That said, yes, I'd be doing cartwheels for a couple 30-point games right now.

we are not playing our best 5 lineman. we are playing the best 5 that are healthy. given no issues I think there is a good chance at least 3 of the oline would not be starting now and possibly 4..

we are not playing our best 5 lineman. we are playing the best 5 that are healthy. given no issues I think there is a good chance at least 3 of the oline would not be starting now and possibly 4..

Can you substantiate this claim in any way? Or elaborate to some degree? I can't claim to have any knowledge of actually watching practices, but as far as I recall from the preseason, Pugh and Mackey were no-brainers along with Tiller. Chibane and Hay were returning starters. Perhaps Chibane and Hay were vulnerable, but I can't believe that these aren't at least five of the top seven OL on the roster and losing 2 of your top 7 OL for an extended period of time is something that is likely to happen most years.

I thought we were developing that when Nassib is throwing 39 passes. Now I guess that's not who we are.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying? I see nassib throwing passes and Bailey running the ball but I'm just not sure what kind of system it is. And make no mistake about it: systems work. Yeah they can backfire at times -- ask RichRod. But generally I think a system helps define what you want to do and it can still be flexible (Kelly's system probably works best with a run-pass threat like Collaros, but a good pocket guy can run it very successfully). So my point was only that I watch this offense and I can't begin to think of what the actual strength is or what play(s) they can hang their hat on.

Having said that, our defense clearly has it's identity, it's up and running, we're able to plug in new guys and get them up to speed. Sure, there were bumps early, and that game against WVU will probably be very sobering. But we all can see what we have and get excited that these guys can make some plays (seriously, how good will our LB corps be next year and the year after?).

I know that's not going to happen, and I understand why it shouldn't happen, but I do look forward to seeing a lot more of West, Foster, Kobena, etc. Wish Gulley too, but oh well. Maybe even give Kinder some run. Give him a series each game, TOB style.

The gulley injury sucked b/c I think he could have made some sort of difference, even if it wasn't every game. I'm interested to see WEst/Kobena/Foster b/c I don't see any reason they wouldn't be worked in. I also think they need to make some attempt to get down the field vertically in the passing game a bit more. It doesn't have to be 50-yard bombs, but even attacking intermediate distances would be good.

Honestly, a lot of our ills would be cured by having a good OL and yet here we are in year 3 and our OL is better, but still below average. That's what I worry about.

These stats are just so depressing but when you run the same guys out there with the same system for 2-3 years, what results does one expect.. That is insanity. I know I know I get it, it's all about the reps. Overall, I really like Marrone but he needs to recruit better and he also needs to find an offensive system that works against average college defenses, it can't be that hard, it really can't... As I have said, I wish he would just take over as the OC, put it all on him, no gray area, no OC Jr, like Hackett just take it over and sink or swim with it, MAKE THE CALLS DOUG.

The one thing I accept 100% is Nassib is 10 times better than any of our qb's right now. That I believe to be fact
And Nassib is 10 times better than a lot of us thought he would be. Myself included. I'll own that.

44cuse

Doug needs to step up, come to the forefront and take ownership of the problems on offense, someway someehow, he needs to score more points, I dont care about yards but the goal should be 28-30 points per game versus conference foes, more would obvioulsy be bettter but you arent going to beat many teams with less in todays college football..

someday everythings going to be different, when Doug paints his masterpiece, at least we hope so..;) We can win 9 games with our defense more or less, we just need an average offense in todays landscape and we still arent really even that close.

i won't

Nassib is an average qb but he is a lot better than what we have right now, that is recruiting on Doug's end. Miller was suppose to compete right away and surely due to injuy and playing Boulder town bully most likely will never start at Syracuse which to me screams wasted schollie, Loeb looks like a career back up, that leaves us with Kinder, Byrold and Hunt as possibilities but Nassib will start for the nest year and a hald and I dont see that changing. I wouldn't mind seeing Kinder get a few series with some read option type stuff, why the F not? Won't happen but who knows. I am surprised that we haven't seen him yet in any capacity

Agree with billsin01 on this. We had 4 returning OL starters, and Marrone was firm, from day 1, that Mackey was his center. There is other talent in the ranks (Hickey, Alexander, Curtis, Trudo), but not one of these guys was getting time with the first team in practice. Marrone hasn't shown any inclination to experiment with his OL starters.

i won't
You don't know how bad I thought Nassib was going to be. I was figuring on RJ or Nunes-esque. I think we can all agree he is better than Nunes and RJ.

44cuse

I think we can all agree he is better than Nunes and RJ.

44cuse

If we can't agree on this I am going to stop posting here and begin bothering my wife with all of my syracuse football thoughts.

Careful, there are a lot of people who love Troy Nunes here.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom