1260 The Score...We hardly know ye now | Syracusefan.com

1260 The Score...We hardly know ye now

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
At one time you could tune into 1260 AM radio here in Syracuse and get pretty much wall-to-wall local coverage.

10-12 Bud & The Manchild

12-2 PM Danny Parkins

2-6 PM Brent Axe

That's eight hours of mostly Syracuse basketball, football & lacrosse coverage. When Danny Parkins left, Mike Linsley took over the two hour slot.

Parkins left for greener pasutures in the midwest, Axe left for syracuse.com where he has virtually disappeared from public view. In his place they put a rookie, Alex Plavin who had about a months run. Mike Lindsley took his spot but left yesterday for a bigger market in Albany.

Fast forward to March 27 the eve of SU vs Indiana 2013 edition and we are left with just a 2 hour sliver of all things Syracuse and a giant dose of national sports shows including the anti-Syracuse venom of Doug Gottlieb the worst PBP person on the CBS team.

If you like large doses of Tiki Barber, Dana Jacobsen, Brandon Tierney, John Feinstein, Jim repeat, repeat, & repeat Rome, Doug Gottlieb, Chris Moore, Brian Jones, Scott Ferrall & Damon Amendolara then you will be a happy camper. As for me, except for the 10-12 slot, 1260 will go the way of the dinosaur's.

I remember the days in the 60's when WNDR was one of the two top 40 rock and roll stations, along with WOLF 1490.

WOLF had Bud Ballou, WNDR had "Big George" Plavakous (sp?). I know I'm missing a lot here. WAER used to be cool, too, with album-oriented rock in the late 60's - early 70's. Now it's a bunch of politically correct crap.

Doug Gottlieb the worst PBP person on the CBS team.
I agree on most of your points except this one. Doug is one of a handful of commentators who has the balls to tell it like it is! I feel a lot of commentators are afraid to say the wrong thing and don't challenge anything! Doug is refreshing IMO!

As far as 1260 goes, Bud and the man child always seemed Goofy to me and never really got into them. I tried Lindsley and quickly couldn't stand him! I did enjoy Brent's show and was upset that he left the station! Now I listen to upon further review and they are ok.

I remember back around 92-93 there was a pretty good local sports talk show, cant remember who it was but it was on drive time I believe.

Adam Schein was my favorite, around the late 90s, early 2000s. But he left for NYC.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I agree on most of your points except this one. Doug is one of a handful of commentators who has the balls to tell it like it is! I feel a lot of commentators are afraid to say the wrong thing and don't challenge anything! Doug is refreshing IMO!

As far as 1260 goes, Bud and the man child always seemed Goofy to me and never really got into them. I tried Lindsley and quickly couldn't stand him! I did enjoy Brent's show and was upset that he left the station! Now I listen to upon further review and they are ok.
I was more referring to his awful PBP skills. He is by far the least gifted announcer I have heard during the NCAA's.

I remember back around 92-93 there was a pretty good local sports talk show, cant remember who it was but it was on drive time I believe.

I believe you are thinking of Dan Polamino & Trevor Sparks, that was a pretty good show i think they were on inlate 90's during SU's run to '96 Final Four

How is Albany a bigger market?

Because the Albany market population also includes Troy and Schenectady (total of nearly 800,000) while Syracuse is just Syracuse (~568,000). I don't know why that is. Albany was ranked 65th in Arbitron radio numbers and Cuse was 87th in Fall '12 report.

I believe you are thinking of Dan Polamino & Trevor Sparks, that was a pretty good show i think they were on inlate 90's during SU's run to '96 Final Four
Yup. Sportstalk! Their jingle went: "Sportstalk...duh duh nuh nuh nuh. Dan and Trevor are here again, talking sports with all our friends" hahahahaha. It was just as cheesy as Bud and Lerch's intro. Those guys were great though. They made the the FF run in '96 so much fun.

I looked forward to the local talk each afternoon. I have to admit I was not a fan of plavin or lindsley but really enjoyed Axe. The first two jokers seem to really just dislike syracuse and its fans. Greener pastures in Albany :crazy: maybe a bigger market but his bull... will fit right into that pasture. Axe cared about SU and did his best to be entertaining while delivering the news. I will not waste my time with the national guys... I listen to them in the morning and the droning on about the SEC and this year B10 is not something I plan to buy into two times a day. It is too bad that 1260 could not find someone with Parkin's ability or Axe's enthusiasm to fill the spot and still keep it local. Just my two cents...

Because the Albany market population also includes Troy and Schenectady (total of nearly 800,000) while Syracuse is just Syracuse (~568,000). I don't know why that is. Albany was ranked 65th in Arbitron radio numbers and Cuse was 87th in Fall '12 report.
Ryan Maloney of JD & OCC?

Yuppers. #12 in your program and on the depth chart.
Know your dad & uncle. Last week while on the tread mill I popped in an old VHS tape. On it was the 1993 10 year national championship reunion of the OCC men's team. Were you playing for OCC in 2003? The reason I ask is I thought I saw your dad on a pan of folks in attendance.

Know your dad & uncle. Last week while on the tread mill I popped in an old VHS tape. On it was the 1993 10 year national championship reunion of the OCC men's team. Were you playing for OCC in 2003? The reason I ask is I thought I saw your dad on a pan of folks in attendance.

Yes, I was playing in that game (had to switch to #22 at OCC). I'm almost positive the silver fox was in attendance, so he probably got on TV. I can't believe how long ago that was, we just honored the 20th anniversary of that same team a few months ago at the alumni game.

I had OCC game on the tape followed by the Georgetown-SU game.

What a trip it was watching Big Monday, Raf, Sean and no Bilas. Higgins was one of the refs. GMAC was so much better when Billy E was playing the point. Hak had a great game. Kueth was more than a scrub as one poster you used to call him. Jeremy got a huge ovation when he entered the game as the fans were saying thank you for the clutch free throws he made in that monumental win over Pitt, the game where we rushed the court two times. SU was ranked #21 at the time. It was ironic seeing ESPN hyping the Kansas-Missouri game that would follow. We had faced Missouri six games before and beat them 76-69 at their place. Collison was featured in one teaser and Heinrich in another. Little did we know at the time that we would be facing the Jayhawks with all the marbles on the line April 7.

The Carrier Dome crowd gave the refs a mock cheer when they finally called a foul on Michael Sweetney. We went on to beat the Hoyas 88-80.

Adam Schine was the best back in the day when i actually lived in the area. I listen to him on his sirius national show on maddog channel if I have to drive in for the day.

Since moving and listening to local syracuse stuff via the 'net...Axe had his moments, but I always immediately turned off the baseball/Crunch stuff. And Parkins was fantastic.

Lindsley, others...awful.

So no loss, but wish someone would have a decent cuse pod at least.

I get that Albany is a slightly bigger market but What will Mike Linsley talk about? Siena Hoops, Albany Great Danes FB and the magical St Bona team from 1970...yeah that'll go over big. I envision Linsley having to talk Yankees and Giants 90% of the time. Albany is a horrible market for local sports talk.

I get that Albany is a slightly bigger market but What will Mike Linsley talk about? Siena Hoops, Albany Great Danes FB and the magical St Bona team from 1970...yeah that'll go over big. I envision Linsley having to talk Yankees and Giants 90% of the time. Albany is a horrible market for local sports talk.

250px-Albany_River_Rats.svg.png

Agreed. Albany is a sports fan's worst nightmare; there is almost nothing worthwhile going on there. I would put Binghamton or Utica ahead of it as a sports town.

The only step lower than Albany is Watertown or Auburn. Major step down for Lindsley. I think it was Albany or bagging groceries.

Agreed. Albany is a sports fan's worst nightmare; there is almost nothing worthwhile going on there. I would put Binghamton or Utica ahead of it as a sports town.

The only step lower than Albany is Watertown or Auburn. Major step down for Lindsley. I think it was Albany or bagging groceries.
Man, that's harsh. Siena is always a pretty good story. UAlbany went to the NCAA's for the second straight year. A ton of Yankees and Giants fans with some Mets, Red Sox, etc thrown in. Giants training camp was here for the last 15 years and now going back to NJ. Two pretty good college hockey programs in RPI and Union. This year is the 150th anniversary of Saratoga Race Track so he better brush up on his horse racing.

FYI, Freddie Coleman's last stop before ESPN was with an Albany radio station. Syracuse Grad Doug Sherman is sports director of Channel 6 and does a lot of basketball on TV including that one Syracuse game this year that he shared broadcast duties with Danny Kannell. Another Syracuse grad, Andrew Catalon is on one of the local TV stations and has done NFL broadcasts and a lot of Olympic TV work. No way this is a dead end job for the right person.

Ryan., I graduated from JD with you. Your communication skills are much needed in the Syracuse market.

A few weeks back I went on a cruise. Low and behold who other than Mike Lindsley happens to be on the same ship. What can I say, I've made it quite clear that I have a distaste for the guy (as a radio personality). I could spot his face from a mile a way. So i proceeded to make my way toward him. He happened to be sitting down for some male vs female trivia so I grabbed a seat. I slink into a chair closely behind him observing his movement and demeanor I sip on my 7&7 and solemnly reflect on all of the moments I've wanted to reach through the radio and open hand slap him across the face. My thought was interrupted by the next trivia question. "What color M&M was discontinued for 12 years and then brought back?" The male team is hopelessly stupid and colors are being thrown around that don't even exist in the M&M color spectrum. Lindsley put his voice above everyone else's and proclaimed "blue! it's definitely blue, It's got to be blue!" The male team leader looked at Lindsley and asked "Are you sure man?" Lindsley confirmed that he's %100 sure that it's blue. "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Sorry it's Red" The announcer stated. The male group exploded with viscous boos and jeers directed toward Lindsley. His face turned beet red and he simply shrugged his shoulders. I can't explain it but in that exact moment he looked incredibly sad and defeated well beyond what one would feel when getting a simple trivia question wrong. I walked away not knowing whether to continue disliking him or to just feel sorry for him. I still haven't made my mind up.