$13.4M per year increase. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

$13.4M per year increase.

Do we know how the Big 12 deal works re: re-negotiating it if they add 2 schools? They got $20 million per school without those two. Even when dividing the pie up by two more schools, if they felt they can make $22-23 million per school, then it becomes leaving for the ability to make $7-8 million more a year.

I think you're right, but don't make the mistake of assuming the people making these decisions use logic to justify any of them.

The reason they got that huge amount of money was because (a) the Longhorn Network threatened to bring down the whole conference - and Texas still has the Longhorn Network deal; and (b) if the Big 12 had blown up, you had Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State (and at the time, Missouri) - all out in the cold without a BCS level conference.

All hell would have broken out over that and ESPN would have been looking at an anti-trust suit, along with the folks who run the BCS. It almost happened before with Orrin Hatch starting to kick up a fuss on behalf of BYU a few years ago. All those folks in the Midwest would have gone ape- if they had been left out in conference realignment. That was when there were the Kansas to the Big East rumors.

THAT is why the Big 12 got this huge payout from ESPN, when they only had 10 teams, and then were below the 10 team mark and had to poach WVU to keep at that number. The Big 12 is ESPN's payoff. Their conference is not worth that much, really, especially when Texas keeps all its own Tier 3 rights.

Depends on what the BE gets. If they get the rumored $13 million a year then we aren't making much more than had we stayed behind. It appears that the difference between the BE and ACC in TV $ is the same as the difference between the B12 and the ACC. That could turn into an issue. Especially since the ACC is locked in at 15 years. If you are Clemson would you rather be in the ACC making $16 million a year or B12 making $24 million?

I don't get why people think Clemson is important at all. They are such a mediocre program overall, and are not in a state where they get exceptional viewership. Clemson doesn't mean much of anything in all these discussions, IMO.

It's obviously a huge increase for SU, but I'm suprised the ACC didn't get more. I think they got undervalued, again. And it's all three tiers.
They left wiggle room for ND joining the conference. I don't think that new ACC + ND is the best conference in the country, money-wise, so you have to leave enough room for the total contract to be raised to peer level if ND joins.

Something that I think people should keep in mind regarding the amount the Big East may get in comparison to the ACC. The Big East is going to be able to put its product up to the highest bidder, while the ACC was already locked in to ESPN. The ACC may be undervalued, but they did not have the ability to shop this to NBC or another network. They only had the right to renegotiate when they added SU and Pitt.

I think it's telling that without SU and Pitt, it was likely near $12mil, with SU and pitt, $17mil. Those other ACC schools should send a thank you
it's not about SU or Pitt, it's about the marketplace changing for live programming. We allowed them to reopen the contract however.

Lets look at this from a perspective that leaves emotion out:
1. ACC had a contract around$13 million per team thru 2023
2. Now the ACC has a contract starting now that provides $17 million per team through 2026-2027...that is an increase of nearly $40 million per ACC school for those 10 years covered by the new contract--dont think they are fretting
3. 'Cuse raised its yearly dollars by approximately $13-$14 million a year...would not throw out of bed
4. BE if it continues, has ability to negotiate anywhere whereas the ACC did not have that right until 2023...so ESPN and ACC did good with revision of contract see #2 above
5. NBC which is also ND network, needs live sport coverage...the tie with cable and NBC may lead the BE to get a $$ figure close to ACC--but should we care...not at all...we have moved out of a very bad situation into a very good one
6. Here is numbers of present TV contracts for other conferences:
Some context:

Conference​
Annual School $​
Through​
Big Ten​
22M​
2031​
Pac-12​
20.8M​
2023​
Big 12​
20M​
2025​
SEC​
16.7M​
2023​
ACC​
17M​
2026​
Big East​
3.5M​
2013​
Mountain West​
1.17M​
2013​
Conference USA​
1.14M​
2015​
ACC remains behind the Big 12 by $3-$4...but we could not negotiate with any one but ESPN...this is still a sizeable gain and quite frankly, we do not have a Texas or Oklahoma in the ACC...also, it has been reported that if we move to 16 teams we can go back and discuss money...If you look at the B1g contract that runs through 2031...the five years of ACC contract from renewal just might exceed that...so overall, I am pleased, how about you????

I forgot the part where the Big East is never signing a new TV deal ever just because they will get one less than last summer's.

The increase is NOT $13 million. That's intellectually dishonest. The increase is $17 million minus whatever deal the Big East gets. So probably around 5-7 million- still a lot, but not 13 million.

I never implied that they wouldn't sign another deal. They will. I was basing it on what SU is currently getting versus what they will be. Had the BE signed that deal last summer, SU would still be in the BE and making $11 mil just like UConn. But 12 teams shot it down. So SU is about to get a $13 mil raise.

Who knows what the BE will get now? Whatever it is, it could be less than what ESPN offered last year.

We did good, but that's not apples to apples.

Sheesh...calm down Bees. We just got a $13m bump in pay per year. Keep your emotions in check bud.

Lets look at this from a perspective that leaves emotion out:
1. ACC had a contract around$13 million per team thru 2023
2. Now the ACC has a contract starting now that provides $17 million per team through 2026-2027...that is an increase of nearly $40 million per ACC school for those 10 years covered by the new contract--dont think they are fretting
3. 'Cuse raised its yearly dollars by approximately $13-$14 million a year...would not throw out of bed
4. BE if it continues, has ability to negotiate anywhere whereas the ACC did not have that right until 2023...so ESPN and ACC did good with revision of contract see #2 above
5. NBC which is also ND network, needs live sport coverage...the tie with cable and NBC may lead the BE to get a $$ figure close to ACC--but should we care...not at all...we have moved out of a very bad situation into a very good one
6. Here is numbers of present TV contracts for other conferences:
Some context:

Conference

Annual School $

Through

Big Ten

22M

Pac-12

20.8M

Big 12

20M

SEC

16.7M

ACC

17M

Big East

3.5M

Mountain West

1.17M

Conference USA

1.14M

ACC remains behind the Big 12 by $3-$4...but we could not negotiate with any one but ESPN...this is still a sizeable gain and quite frankly, we do not have a Texas or Oklahoma in the ACC...also, it has been reported that if we move to 16 teams we can go back and discuss money...If you look at the B1g contract that runs through 2031...the five years of ACC contract from renewal just might exceed that...so overall, I am pleased, how about you????

Not to quibble, but it's actually $17.1M per year per school.

I'm surprised that people expect the big east contract will be substantially higher in the future. That must be the source of the quibbling about how much more money SU will make

I'm surprised that people expect the big east contract will be substantially higher in the future. That must be the source of the quibbling about how much more money SU will make

The post was about what the revenue impact was to SU. SU and Pitt are the huge winners in this round. SU has been doing okay under the current model, and with just this TV deal SU realizes a 26% increase in revenue by joining the ACC based on the last reported financials. It also closes the gap with every other ACC school by $10M right out of the gate.

Seriously, who gives a damn about apples?

On that subject here is a certainty, SU's increase in revenue is greater than the annual payout will be under a new BE contract. How's them apples.

And we'll never know, because the only way the Big East would get those additional monies will be with SU, Pitt and WVU. That ship has obviously sailed.

NBC or Fox might.

I'm not saying it makes sense, just that they might.

I think that's a fair point. They might even pay more, but the football product kind of turned into a mess. I think they made a mistake by going to 12, because the quality just isn't there, especially to make so many of these teams basketball participants, too.