18 game season. we're 0-0 | Syracusefan.com

18 game season. we're 0-0

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
whats gonna get it done, 12-6? 13-5?

im a dolphins fan and at 1-4 i was thinking lets go 1-15 and get the #1 pick. now we're in the playoffs.

1 game at a time. its all about boston college.

was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor??

whats gonna get it done, 12-6? 13-5?

im a dolphins fan and at 1-4 i was thinking lets go 1-15 and get the #1 pick. now we're in the playoffs.

1 game at a time. its all about boston college.

was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor??
It wasn't over, but then again the American industrial manufacturing won the war more then anything else.

We outproduced the Japanese easily 5-1 industrially.

SU basketball doesn't really candidate this season.

I think 12-6 would do it so long as we get a couple wins over ranked teams. It puts you at 20 wins on the season and likely a top 3rd finish in the ACC. Right now and I stress "now" I cannot find 12 wins on that schedule.

I think 12-6 would do it so long as we get a couple wins over ranked teams. It puts you at 20 wins on the season and likely a top 3rd finish in the ACC. Right now and I stress "now" I cannot find 12 wins on that schedule.
As jncuse has instructed in a few different threads, 11-7 (obv depending on who that '11' comes against) and a win or two in acct would probably do it

With those uglier than ugly OOC losses, we need to go, imo, at least 13-5 or 14-4. We really have to be exceptional, just being good won't be good enough. Just my $.02.

I think we should follow the Virginia model of 2013-14. Granted they lost one less conference game, but they finished 16-2 in the ACC.

Yep! It likely may actually take something as exceptional as that to get us there...

With those uglier than ugly OOC losses, we need to go, imo, at least 13-5 or 14-4. We really have to be exceptional, just being good won't be good enough. Just my $.02.

Don't forget about the opportunity to add additional wins via the ACC tournament. Winning 12-14 regular season games during the conference portion of our schedule isn't the only path to make the NCAA tournament. The key barometer will be whether we can add 12, 13, or 14 total wins prior to Selection Sunday.

I just haven't seen the gumption from this team to suggest that they could get anywhere near that many wins, unfortunately, so that doesn't seem likely.

Don't forget about the opportunity to add additional wins via the ACC tournament. So having to win 12, 13, or 14 games during the conference portion of our schedule isn't the only path to make the NCAA tournament.

I just haven't seen the gumption from this team to suggest that they could get anywhere near 12 conference wins, unfortunately, so that doesn't seem likely.

I agree with you that I don't see this team doing that. However, I feel, again, because of our putrid OOC results against bad OOC opponents, that we need to get to at least (bare minimum) 13 wins during the regular conference schedule to be in the equation. Anything on top of that come ACC Tourney time is a little bit more icing.

I agree with you that I don't see this team doing that. However, I feel, again, because of our putrid OOC results against bad OOC opponents, that we need to get to at least (bare minimum) 13 wins during the regular conference schedule to be in the equation. Anything on top of that come ACC Tourney time is a little bit more icing.

The OOC results ARE putrid, but the RPI will straighten out once we get into the gauntlet of conference play. Once there, we'd need to beat some quality teams to enhance our resume, though. If we take down [just for example] a UNC, Louisville, UVa, etc. en route to 12 wins, it will offset our OOC results. To get to 12 wins, we'd have to beat a couple of those types of teams--not just pad our stats with the likes of facing BC / GT twice each.

We'd need to beat a few of the elite teams in conference to get that boost. And we're sure not playing like a team that can win against those types of teams.

I looked at our ACC schedule the other day and based on what we've done so far I optimistically predicted 9-9 as our ceiling in ACC play.

But, you never know?

a dolphin fan to boot ? why you poor bastidge. you do know pain.

(edit. how'd #1 pick jake long work out ?)

The OOC results ARE putrid, but the RPI will straighten out once we get into the gauntlet of conference play. Once there, we'd need to beat some quality teams to enhance our resume, though. If we take down [just for example] a UNC, Louisville, UVa, etc. en route to 12 wins, it will offset our OOC results. To get to 12 wins, we'd have to beat a couple of those types of teams--not just pad our stats with the likes of facing BC / GT twice each.

We'd need to beat a few of the elite teams in conference to get that boost. And we're sure not playing like a team that can win against those types of teams.

I see what you're saying, and I hope you're right. Though, even if you take those 3 (which would be impressive) wins, do they just offset those 3 bad losses (UConn, G'Town & St. Johns)? We would still have 2 OOC losses on top of those. UW is not a bad loss, but it remains to be seen how bad a loss losing as bad as we did to USC at the Barclays was. USC has lost to Seton Hall and Clemson, likely very much bubble teams themselves at best come Selection Sunday.

I think it depends on who we beat more than the record.

If we can run a train on the ranked teams in the ACC and finish at .500 or above we can get in. If we go .500 and feast on the losers then we probably wont.

It may be...we'll see how it unfolds. Hopefully, your opinion is, well...let's just say more right. ;)
Right on, and again I think it's unlikely this team can even get to 11-7 - but if they do manage it I'm confident that record and at least one acct win would do it

That is an over exaggeration.

13-5 projects to an RPI of 41, with at least 5 top 50 wins in conference alone . That is not a bare minimum to make the tournament.

12-6 would be an RPI of 54 with at at least 4 projected top 50 wins in conference.

11-7 in my view is the walking the line number -- one good win in the ACC tournament above that and IMO it is enough.

The ACC currently has 9 teams projected in the top 50 RPI and 12 teams other than Syracuse projected in the RPI top 70. It's a very deep and top heavy conference. It's better than last year. (at top and in terms of depth)

It's not just the big 4 that will generate top 50 win opportunities. Miami, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida St and Notre Dame are also projected top 50 opponents. If some of them fall out of the top 50, they will be replaced by Pitt, Virginia Tech or NC St.

11 wins or more inherently means you need to win a fair share of top 50 games.

I see what you're saying, and I hope you're right. Though, even if you take those 3 (which would be impressive) wins, do they just offset those 3 bad losses (UConn, G'Town & St. Johns)? We would still have 2 OOC losses on top of those. UW is not a bad loss, but it remains to be seen how bad a loss losing as bad as we did to USC at the Barclays was. USC has lost to Seton Hall and Clemson, likely very much bubble teams themselves at best come Selection Sunday.

The OOC is over -- it was terrible as you clearly explained. Can't dispute that. We likely get one top 50 win out of Monmouth, but it is still terrible. (And Georgetown might not be a bad loss either).

But it's done and we need to sit back and look what our body of work would be with 11, 12 or 13 ACC wins. It's unfortunate that we put ourselves in a hole to have to perform better in a conference that is a bit stronger this year. We went 9-10 in ACC play last year. So a couple more wins may nearly reconcile the two -- I think 3 certainly would.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom