19 days of Practice and 4 cupcake games to figure out out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

19 days of Practice and 4 cupcake games to figure out out

I think the Georgetown loss was even worse, their name and being a former rival is the only reason it doesn't sound worse. that team was straight up trash, Colgate was a legit mid-major who had a good showing in the tourney(lost to Wisconsin by 7) . to be clear, giving up 100 to them, at home, and losing by 15 was pathetic in its own right
Any loss to G-town is the worst.
And they are still THE rival.
You could say a loss to a team that bad cost the Orange a winning record.
The game was a total embarrassment.
That game may be the worst Boeheim loss ever.
That G-town team went 0 for all of 2022.

Keep hate alive!

I LOOOOAAAAATHE G-TOWN.

GO ORANGE!

Based on some quick and sloppy analysis, they’ve lost 3 starters (their 3 top scorers), and their 6th man. Their backcourt will be new starters and new backups.
thanks for the great research

Based on some quick and sloppy analysis, they’ve lost 3 starters (their 3 top scorers), and their 6th man. Their backcourt will be new starters and new backups.
Do we still iso and not close out in shooters?

I’ve heard more people in the past 24 hours say that Judah isn’t a point guard than I’ve heard about Joe in 3 years.

You don’t have to have Tyler Ennis’s game to be a point guard.
He appears to have a similar mentality, but at least has a better handle and is more physically gifted - taller, quicker. Hopefully those two can gel.

I’m going to be side eyeing the staff if we can’t get good guard play out of this group at some point this season though.

He appears to have a similar mentality, but at least has a better handle and is more physically gifted - taller, quicker. Hopefully those two can gel.

I’m going to be side eyeing the staff if we can’t get good guard play out of this group at some point this season though.
The guards are talented. I cannot imagine them not gelling. I just hope we can get through the first part of our schedule somewhat unscathed while that happens.

I hate writing this, but Judah and Joe need to figure it out. Fast. I have been super hard on JB and the coaches the last year or so, but Judah probably got all but a guarantee to start (I don't care that JB never "promises" a starting position).

For all of Joe's faults, he's waited his turn to get that 2G spot.

JB should lock them in Graham Dining Hall on Wing Bar Wednesdays, give them a good bottle of Scotch, and have them have a come to whatever-deity-of-your-choosing is.

We are likely a bubble team in a best-case scenario. If we have our two starting guards playing not trusting or passing to each other, it will be catastrophic.

Get some booze, get some wings, put your pride aside for a few hours and figure it out. If Zack and Slater can get over a physical altercation in the halls of Bayside High over the new girl at school and still be friends, J+J two can figure out how to be a good back court tandem.

I hate writing this, but Judah and Joe need to figure it out. Fast. I have been super hard on JB and the coaches the last year or so, but Judah probably got all but a guarantee to start (I don't care that JB never "promises" a starting position).

JB should lock them in Graham Dining Hall on Wing Bar Wednesdays, give them a good bottle of Scotch, and have them have a come to whatever-deity-of-your-choosing is.

We are likely a bubble team in a best-case scenario. If we have our two starting guards playing not trusting or passing to each other, it will be catastrophic.

Get some booze, get some wings, put your pride aside for a few hours and figure it out. If Zack and Slater can get over a physical altercation in the halls of Bayside High over the new girl at school, J+J two can figure out how to be a good back court tandem.
Other than the plan including giving alcohol to a minor, which is a crime, this is a good plan.

BTW, for all my problems with JB, this should still be one of his strengths. Sit these two down and make them see the light. This isn't some commune, get on board, do your job, everyone wins. If GMac/Melo/Billy could figure it out, these guys can. Get over yourselves and win some games.

I would rarely classify Richmond as a cupcake.
Since 2015, I'm not sure when was the last time I would have stated how much are we going to beat this team by,

KP ratings of 85,65,46 the last 3 years. Not very different than ours -- a tad worse on average.

Get some booze, get some wings, put your pride aside for a few hours and figure it out. If Zack and Slater can get over a physical altercation in the halls of Bayside High over the new girl at school and still be friends, J+J two can figure out how to be a good back court tandem.

Figure what out? This is over the top. Someone else made a similar post saying they don’t talk and don’t pass to each other. So I watched the 1st half over (not going to watch the train wreck 2nd half when everyone looked disjointed and unhappy). The first half showed nothing you are talking about. Right from the tip when Joe showed Judah where to be to initiate the offense. 2nd basket of the game joe rotated the ball around to Judah who hit a jumper. Later Judah did the same and Joe hit a 3. As they ran up court joe pointed to Judah which is a sign of good job. Judah got knocked to the ground one play and Joe helped him up. At the 4 min timeout around 3:05 Joe and Judah were talking on the sideline with Joe pointing to the court and exposing something to Judah. I didn’t see a single instance of them not communicating, not passing to each other or not getting along. I’m sure someone’s gonna point out sometime in the cluster of a second half where someone gave someone the side eye. Lol. Bfd.

The only thing that needs to happen and I’m confident it will in time, is Judah learn, develop and grow into the role of distributor while also maintaining his ability to score. He’s got the skills to get there.

Figure what out? This is over the top. Someone else made a similar post saying they don’t talk and don’t pass to each other. So I watched the 1st half over (not going to watch the train wreck 2nd half when everyone looked disjointed and unhappy). The first half showed nothing you are talking about. Right from the tip when Joe showed Judah where to be to initiate the offense. 2nd basket of the game joe rotated the ball around to Judah who hit a jumper. Later Judah did the same and Joe hit a 3. As they ran up court joe pointed to Judah which is a sign of good job. Judah got knocked to the ground one play and Joe helped him up. At the 4 min timeout around 3:05 Joe and Judah were talking on the sideline with Joe pointing to the court and exposing something to Judah. I didn’t see a single instance of them not communicating, not passing to each other or not getting along. I’m sure someone’s gonna point out sometime in the cluster of a second half where someone gave someone the side eye. Lol. Bfd.

The only thing that needs to happen and I’m confident it will in time, is Judah learn, develop and grow into the role of distributor while also maintaining his ability to score. He’s got the skills to get there.

I don't care about them talking to each other, this isn't marriage counseling. That's the absolute bare minimum that should be expected. I would hope that we have a higher bar than that.

You just admitted that you cherry-picked the content you are analyzing from.

I don't care about side-eye. I'm not debating who likes whom in middle school. This is D1 P5 ball at an historic program with a HoF coach.

But to be clear, my point isn't just 'Judah needs to develop into a distributor' because guys don't change dramatically in-season usually. I need Joe and Judah to understand each other's strengths and work to become a single, high functioning back court. This is not all on Judah. Joe is a four year veteran. He wants to be the SG, great, he's waited his turn. But in his role, he has to be more than that and he has to meet Judah halfway.

I have faith they can. I don't have faith Judah is going to turn into CP3 this season. If you look at the best "PGs" in the NBA, who do you want him to emulate? Steph? Dame? Trae? Luka? Ja?

Being a high level distributor and a big time scorer means he's a high lottery pick. That's a lot to ask from a kid that is ranked in the 50s and, while having legit talent, has limitations.

Again, I think the back court will eventually work itself out and those guys will play well together.

The biggest variable with a substantially high range of outcomes, yet most critical to any sustained success this season imo is Benny.

The biggest variable with a substantially high range of outcomes, yet most critical to any sustained success this season imo is Benny.
Ehhh. I'm not sure Benny is that critical. I think we have options at forward. Taylor/Copeland/Brown could all eat his minutes and outproduce him. I like what I have seen from all 3.

I don't care about them talking to each other, this isn't marriage counseling. That's the absolute bare minimum that should be expected. I would hope that we have a higher bar than that.

You just admitted that you cherry-picked the content you are analyzing from.

I don't care about side-eye. I'm not debating who likes whom in middle school. This is D1 P5 ball at an historic program with a HoF coach.

But to be clear, my point isn't just 'Judah needs to develop into a distributor' because guys don't change dramatically in-season usually. I need Joe and Judah to understand each other's strengths and work to become a single, high functioning back court. This is not all on Judah. Joe is a four year veteran. He wants to be the SG, great, he's waited his turn. But in his role, he has to be more than that and he has to meet Judah halfway.

I have faith they can. I don't have faith Judah is going to turn into CP3 this season. If you look at the best "PGs" in the NBA, who do you want him to emulate? Steph? Dame? Trae? Luka? Ja?

Being a high level distributor and a big time scorer means he's a high lottery pick. That's a lot to ask from a kid that is ranked in the 50s and, while having legit talent, has limitations.

Again, I think the back court will eventually work itself out and those guys will play well together.

Meet Judah halfway on what? You’re making a mountain out of some molehill that I didn’t even notice. And you’re the one that acted like there is some counseling needed by getting them together for wings. LOL.

Ehhh. I'm not sure Benny is that critical. I think we have options at forward. Taylor/Copeland/Brown could all eat his minutes and outproduce him. I like what I have seen from all 3.
That's what I'm saying-- they certainly could. My point is, they also might not, because that would mean Benny is a critical part of the team. Hence the wide range of outcomes.

That's what I'm saying-- they certainly could. My point is, they also might not, because that would mean Benny is a critical part of the team. Hence the wide range of outcomes.
I expect him to be inconsistent. He will have games he goes for 18 and 12 and others he goes for 2/2 and drives JB mad.

I expect him to be inconsistent. He will have games he goes for 18 and 12 and others he goes for 2/2 and drives JB mad.
Except somehow he'll still drive JB mad on his 18 and 12 nights.

You absolutely misrepresented what I posted. We can disagree but I kindly ask you don't misrepresent what I posted. Not going to belabor it but come on. I zeroed in on the second half you chose the first.

I called out concerns over Joe's leadership and the sense there is competition vs teamwork. I called out the need to communicate as a shortage not non existent. Not trying to pick a fight just point a few things out.

On to Lehigh

Judah reminds me a lot of Tyus Battle -
Decent handle, able to get his own shot almost at will, but NOT a PG.

Here are Ty’s asst/TO stats for his 3 years in Orange.
Total, per game avg, A/TO ratio.

(Spoiler - nothing about these screams PG)

58/39 1.7/1.15 = 1.5/1 A/TO ratio
76/87 2.05/2.35 = .9/1 A/TO. Woof.
80/57 2.5/1.8 = 1.4/1 A/TO.

In Ty’s defense, he wasn’t ever listed as PG, and was only the primary ball handler a fairly small % of the time.
But - he was the secondary handler almost all the time.

Will Judah ever become more than a guy able to “get his”, while only dishing out a dime / half?

And if not, will JAB put Sy/Joe/QC at point to facilitate better?

The answers to these questions will determine if we have a winning season, or another losing one.

Judah reminds me a lot of Tyus Battle -
Decent handle, able to get his own shot almost at will, but NOT a PG.

Here are Ty’s asst/TO stats for his 3 years in Orange.
Total, per game avg, A/TO ratio.

(Spoiler - nothing about these screams PG)

58/39 1.7/1.15 = 1.5/1 A/TO ratio
76/87 2.05/2.35 = .9/1 A/TO. Woof.
80/57 2.5/1.8 = 1.4/1 A/TO.

In Ty’s defense, he wasn’t ever listed as PG, and was only the primary ball handler a fairly small % of the time.
But - he was the secondary handler almost all the time.

Will Judah ever become more than a guy able to “get his”, while only dishing out a dime / half?

And if not, will JAB put Sy/Joe/QC at point to facilitate better?

The answers to these questions will determine if we have a winning season, or another losing one.
I think he will be better than that. Tyus was one of the biggest black holes we ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom