19 days of Practice and 4 cupcake games to figure out out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

19 days of Practice and 4 cupcake games to figure out out

I don't care about them talking to each other, this isn't marriage counseling. That's the absolute bare minimum that should be expected. I would hope that we have a higher bar than that.

You just admitted that you cherry-picked the content you are analyzing from.

I don't care about side-eye. I'm not debating who likes whom in middle school. This is D1 P5 ball at an historic program with a HoF coach.

But to be clear, my point isn't just 'Judah needs to develop into a distributor' because guys don't change dramatically in-season usually. I need Joe and Judah to understand each other's strengths and work to become a single, high functioning back court. This is not all on Judah. Joe is a four year veteran. He wants to be the SG, great, he's waited his turn. But in his role, he has to be more than that and he has to meet Judah halfway.

I have faith they can. I don't have faith Judah is going to turn into CP3 this season. If you look at the best "PGs" in the NBA, who do you want him to emulate? Steph? Dame? Trae? Luka? Ja?

Being a high level distributor and a big time scorer means he's a high lottery pick. That's a lot to ask from a kid that is ranked in the 50s and, while having legit talent, has limitations.

Again, I think the back court will eventually work itself out and those guys will play well together.

Just for you I watched the 2nd half again. I stand by all my comments 100%. This whole thing a few of you want to push is made up and not proven by anything that happened in that game.

Just for you I watched the 2nd half again. I stand by all my comments 100%. This whole thing a few of you want to push is made up and not proven by anything that happened in that game.
In his press conference, JB said that Judah needed to see wide open players like Joe and Chris Bell and distribute the ball. He also said Joe needed to be more aware of situations and give up the ball instead of driving into awaiting defensive players. I am not sure what people are arguing here.

In his press conference, JB said that Judah needed to see wide open players like Joe and Chris Bell and distribute the ball. He also said Joe needed to be more aware of situations and give up the ball instead of driving into awaiting defensive players. I am not sure what people are arguing here.
The perceived chemistry issue between Mintz and Girard.

I'm a bit agnostic at this point, since bees didn't see anything concerning after his second watch...

But Mintz definitely needs work on distributing instead of looking only for his own shot.

There is a LOT of raw talent on this team. This recruiting class -- while green -- might eventually live up to the billing as one of the top classes JB has ever brought in. Mintz, Copeland, Carey, Brown, and Taylor all look high-potential [I'm not sold on Bell]. That's a legitimate starting five, all in one class.

But those guys all probably need a year of seasoning to really maximize their potential, learn from mistakes, get acclimated to the college game, etc.

And based upon the two exhibition games, it appears like the talent probably isn't going to mesh. We have nice components, but they don't seem to fit together well in terms of skills / experience.

Is what it is -- that's the challenge of trying to integrate 7 new players with a nucleus of three more experienced players.
RF, I always respect your opinions and posts. But how in the he-double hockey sticks can anyone determine that “the talent isn’t going to mesh” after two exhibition games? Every thread on here is chicken little hyperbole. I can’t believe people can make such grand pronouncements about a team with 6 freshman/7 newcomers after two games that don’t count. This is a young team. Let’s give them some time and see how they develop.

RF, I always respect your opinions and posts. But how in the he-double hockey sticks can anyone determine that “the talent isn’t going to mesh” after two exhibition games? Every thread on here is chicken little hyperbole. I can’t believe people can make such grand pronouncements about a team with 6 freshman/7 newcomers after two games that don’t count. This is a young team. Let’s give them some time and see how they develop.

It's fine to advocate taking the wait and see approach.

But I'm not sure why you're railing against. I said "probably," based upon what I've observed -- not sure how that gets labeled a "grand pronouncement."

If you want to believe differently, that's cool. I hope I'm wrong, and that we end up being an exciting top 20 team. But that's not what I expect.

Last edited:

And I'm not saying that this was you, Sherman20 -- but last year after the exhibition games, I expressed tremendous concern about how unathletic we were, how poorly we rebounded, the lack of depth, and the lack of any bench scoring.

I got shouted down, by many posters expressing the same type of incredulity you're expressing now, with similar proclamations about how it was premature to express such concerns.

SU basketball is my main sports passion -- I want them to be great every year! But my concerns were proven out last year, and I fear that they are again founded this season, with this group of personnel.

Judah does need to become a better distributor. Joe drove and got his shot blocked. Both facts. But that’s not my point nor what I responded to. I responded to posts that insinuated there was a problem between the two and said they weren’t communicating nor passing to each other and Joe was trying to get his. Nothing during the game showed that.

The issue is pretty simple. It’s not joe and Judah having an issue. It’s the team having a roster made up of 50% freshman and one of them learning on the job to be a PG. Integrating that many freshman is going to take time. Hopefully they get there.

Someone else made a similar post saying they don’t talk and don’t pass to each other. So I watched the 1st half over ...everyone looked disjointed and unhappy. The first half showed nothing ... As they ran joe pointed to Judah... Judah got knocked to the ground. At the 4 min timeout around 3:05 Joe and Judah were talking on the sideline with Joe pointing to the court and exposing ...Judah. I didn’t see a single instance of them ... communicating, ... passing to each other or ...getting along. I’m sure someone’s gonna point out sometime in the cluster of a second half where someone gave someone the side eye. Lol. Bfd.

The only thing that needs to happen and I’m confident it will in time, is Judah learn, develop and grow into the role of distributor while also maintaining his ability to score. He’s got the skills to get there.
Sadly, this how at least half the people read your post.

And I'm not saying that this was you, Sherman20 -- but last year after the exhibition games, I expressed tremendous concern about how unathletic we were, how poorly we rebounded, the lack of depth, and the lack of any bench scoring.

I got shouted down, by many posters expressing the same type of incredulity you're expressing now, with similar proclamations about how it was premature to express such concerns.

SU basketball is my main sports passion -- I want them to be great every year! But my concerns were proven out last year, and I fear that they are again founded this season, with this group of personnel.
I was definitely concerned about the lack of athleticism going into last season, and I thought many other people were too (extremely), including yourself. I still thought we could overcome that limitation and make the tourney. I was wrong. (As a side note, we turned out to be a decent rebounding team last season, by typical Cuse standards since we play zone. The problem is that we couldn’t defend anyone. That was our downfall.) I’m not making predictions on this season. It’s a young team and I have no idea how it’ll turn out. But I’m trying to be positive until we get a ways into the season.

I hate writing this, but Judah and Joe need to figure it out. Fast. I have been super hard on JB and the coaches the last year or so, but Judah probably got all but a guarantee to start (I don't care that JB never "promises" a starting position).

For all of Joe's faults, he's waited his turn to get that 2G spot.

JB should lock them in Graham Dining Hall on Wing Bar Wednesdays, give them a good bottle of Scotch, and have them have a come to whatever-deity-of-your-choosing is.

We are likely a bubble team in a best-case scenario. If we have our two starting guards playing not trusting or passing to each other, it will be catastrophic.

Get some booze, get some wings, put your pride aside for a few hours and figure it out. If Zack and Slater can get over a physical altercation in the halls of Bayside High over the new girl at school and still be friends, J+J two can figure out how to be a good back court tandem.
I’m a couple edibles deep and this was a glorious read. Well done.

It’s interesting that Mike Waters picks SU 7th in his ACC poll. Since he predicted yesterday that SU would not make the tournament he must think only six teams from the ACC makes the tournament.

Wow. If this is going to be how things go, and have my posts indirectly misrepresented from a Mod no less then I'll see yall in a year. Maybe it's time to go. I think I've been more than fair but whatever.

Copeland has the best pg potential on the team. I see some Z sims in him.

I hate writing this, but Judah and Joe need to figure it out. Fast. I have been super hard on JB and the coaches the last year or so, but Judah probably got all but a guarantee to start (I don't care that JB never "promises" a starting position).

For all of Joe's faults, he's waited his turn to get that 2G spot.

JB should lock them in Graham Dining Hall on Wing Bar Wednesdays, give them a good bottle of Scotch, and have them have a come to whatever-deity-of-your-choosing is.

We are likely a bubble team in a best-case scenario. If we have our two starting guards playing not trusting or passing to each other, it will be catastrophic.

Get some booze, get some wings, put your pride aside for a few hours and figure it out. If Zack and Slater can get over a physical altercation in the halls of Bayside High over the new girl at school and still be friends, J+J two can figure out how to be a good back court tandem.

soul train episode 148 GIF

It’s interesting that Mike Waters picks SU 7th in his ACC poll. Since he predicted yesterday that SU would not make the tournament he must think only six teams from the ACC makes the tournament.
Maybe less.

No such thing as ‘cupcakes’ on our schedule anymore.
Oh, unless it’s us….

We are the cupcake. We are the cupcake!

That is so upsetting. “I can’t even,” as the kids say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom