1977 NCAA tournament Syracuse vs. Tennessee | Syracusefan.com

1977 NCAA tournament Syracuse vs. Tennessee

Fun stuff, the year I graduated Brockport high school. Bouie is from Kendall, just up the road from there.

Also, was it customary in 1977 for players on the opposing team to console guys when they fouled out? Can't say I've ever seen this before.

Louie and Bouie vs. Ernie and Bernie.

Awesome find on Syracuse history. Young Jim Boeheim. Rick Pitino is seated like to JB.

Dick Enberg and Billy Packer on the call.

That video doesn't include the last minute of the game or OT.

What a find Alsacs. Brilliant. SU playing man, UT playing zone! JB's first season as head coach and still playing Roy's loose, fast, style.

Unfortunately missing the OT ending, which we won 93-88. Larry Kelley leading scorer with 22. Got blown out next round (S16) by Charlotte and Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell.

That video doesn't include the last minute of the game or OT.
Yeah but its a fascinating watch. It was hard to find game footage of the 1977 team. I had never seen that team play before that.

Old school Cool. Two-man referee system, no shot clock, no 3 point line, hot pants and even an Angela Davis afro! Notice on the free throws, the lead ref passes it to the trail ref who hands it to the shooter. Today the lead official bounces it to the shooter. And Louis Orr at 6-8, 165? Holy buggy whip, Batman!

Also, was it customary in 1977 for players on the opposing team to console guys when they fouled out? Can't say I've ever seen this before.
Yeah...used to be this silly thing I think was called sportsmanship.
Didn't keep the players from going at it any harder (as this game demonstrates).

But somehow it got replaced by "attitude."
And some people seem to think taunting and showing hostility towards opponents is essential to playing hard and winning.
Maybe it's just me but I'd take Roosevelt Bouie, Louie Orr, Marty Byrnes, Larry Kelley and pretty much anyone else on this team if they were available today.

Watched this game on tv. Was SU's first TV game that I can recall. SU's Louie- Bouie show meeting up with Tennesee's Ernie - Bernie show, SU's first real national showdown and beginning of national prominence for the program under JB.

Yeah but its a fascinating watch. It was hard to find game footage of the 1977 team. I had never seen that team play before that.

It was fun to watch.

Rouie as a frosh was really raw offensively but even then he was a major presence on defense. That team did not have much outside shooting but was much bigger than previous teams up front. JB would have no Roys Runts teams under his watch.

I remember when Louie Orr came in as a freshman at 6'8 and 150-155 lbs. The guy was an excellent rebounder getting 6.5 as a frosh to 8.5 his senior year and averaged over .500 fg% every year as the high with Rosie in SU's high - low offense. He would get so nervous before games he'd be sick but when the game started all his nervous energy was focused. He was a relentless and tough competitor on the court, amazing for his size. He eventually 'bulked up' to 175 lbs when he started his 8 year career with the Knicks and Pacers averaging 12.7 to 7 points a game each year till his last year in NY where he played sparingly. Watching him sway back and forth constantly even during timeouts , I could see why his energy level made it almost impossible for him to gain weight but a nightmare to cover.

Just finished re-watching the whole thing! This was my first Orangemen game I watched on TV, and I had just recently been accepted (early admission) to SU. Only a few years prior, I had moved to upstate NY from Indiana and had always been a Hoosier fan. But this was the beginning of major loyalty shift. (The name Keith Smart will forever be a verbal kick in the b****s!) What I enjoyed about this game was a reminder of what a good shooter Larry Kelly was, how Syracuse had 6 guys averaging in double digits, how they played a mixture of defenses and also pressed, and even more so how Jimmy played about 10 guys. Very interesting. Thanks for digging this out of the cobwebs. Good memories!

Yeah my DVD cuts out at the same point. The full game does not exist in trading circles to my knowledge.

Yeah my DVD cuts out at the same point. The full game does not exist in trading circles to my knowledge.

I expect this is the only surviving game of the 1977 team, albeit with the finish missing. Only other possibility would be the Charlotte S16 game, which I can find no trace of. Although there are a few tiny snippets of the Bonny game out there.

One of my favorite games ever.

Watched this game on tv. Was SU's first TV game that I can recall. SU's Louie- Bouie show meeting up with Tennesee's Ernie - Bernie show, SU's first real national showdown and beginning of national prominence for the program under JB.
We played Rutgers at the end of the regular season and that game was on tv. The line to get in to Manley was incredibly long. The students got there at 12 for a 4 p.m. game.

Awesome find on Syracuse history. Young Jim Boeheim. Rick Pitino is seated like to JB.

Our 1975 tournament win against UNC is also on the internet. Found that a few years ago.

Before the game, jb said that if we held Bernie and Ernie under 50 pts, we would win. If we didn't, we would lose. Bernie and Ernie scored 49 and we won in OT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom