1985, SU plays @ New Hartford High School | Syracusefan.com

1985, SU plays @ New Hartford High School

Frank the Tank

Walk On
I would have been 8 at the time and I remember my father taking me to my eventual high school to watch the Orangemen play. I can't remember if it was a summertime game or during the winter but I wanted to see if anyone remembers that game. Was it just a scrimmage or was it some type of exhibition game? I believe that it was Sherman's rookie year and Pearl's last year. Our high school gym teacher was Paul Piotrowski (Syracuse '69-'72) so I would imagine he had something to do with it. That experience is what made me a Syracuse fan.

I remember going to the Utica War Memorial a couple years later to see Syracuse play an intrasquad scrimmage. I believe they used to do it at Manley but this one was held in Utica. I think it was either right before the 1988 season or the 1989 season and I think the tickets might have been $3 for regular seats and $5 to sit behind the bench. I paid the extra money and I think I was the only one. People in Utica must be cheap.

I remember Colgate coming to play a bunch of random Syracuse basketball players who had already graduated at Rome Catholic High School. Erik Rogers and Stevie Thompson were the only former scholarship players, and the others were three former walkons who I cannot remember for the life of me. Maybe 1992?

I would look forward to a re-match. Should be another nail-biter. I wonder who will be our last minute hero.

I was at that game. I loved Pearl and was wearing my Pearl "Syracuse" script jersey. The one Marsh has in his avatar. Coming out of that game I was thinking to myself, "who is this Douglas guy, he's pretty good." Little did I know.
SU played two games at my high school, Ilion High following two seasons. We did not have retractable rims at the time and Rony bent one of our rims on a dunk. Our AD, who was my best friends dad, was not pleased. I remember how well Joey Kolm and Joel Katz did against the team of local college All-Stars (Utica, Hamilton, etc). It was my first lesson in just how good Div. 1 players are, even if they are walk ons.

They used to play intra-squad games all over the place back then. I remember one in Auburn HS as well. Great way to build a fan base get folks to buy tickets during the season to come to the dome. Program obviously doesn't need to do that anymore.

While on the topic of the good ole days, I remember one fall day when I was around 9 or 10 playing whiffle ball in the backyard with a bunch of other kids. We noticed a tall african-american guy towering over the fence which separated our yard from the people behind us. Usually you couldn't see anything/anyone in their yard. Turned out to be Roosevelt Bouie and apparently our neighbor was a big donor to the program at the time (around '79) and players came over for bbq's.

i remember a syracuse scrimmage at jefferson community college way back when billy owens was a soph.

I was at an earlier New Hartford event. Not sure what year, must have been 81 or 82. I remember getting an autograph from Erick Santifer after the game. He was breathing weird.

wasn't it erich santifer who survived a severe gunshot wound as a youngster?

They used to play intra-squad games all over the place back then. I remember one in Auburn HS as well. Great way to build a fan base get folks to buy tickets during the season to come to the dome. Program obviously doesn't need to do that anymore.

Plus I remember we played the Bonnies in Rochester at least once during the 80's.

I saw them play an intra squad scrimmage at Oneida high school back in the day. I can remember seeing Sean Kerins, Leo, and Erich Santifer, which makes it 81-82 I believe.

However, due to joining the ACC we are back to playing in tiny rathole gyms on occasion.

I am a 1976 New Hartford grad and I was at every Syracuse home game and exhibition game from 83-86 (The Pearl years) but ironically I was not at the scrimmage in New Hartford.

I would have been 8 at the time and I remember my father taking me to my eventual high school to watch the Orangemen play. I can't remember if it was a summertime game or during the winter but I wanted to see if anyone remembers that game. Was it just a scrimmage or was it some type of exhibition game? I believe that it was Sherman's rookie year and Pearl's last year. Our high school gym teacher was Paul Piotrowski (Syracuse '69-'72) so I would imagine he had something to do with it. That experience is what made me a Syracuse fan.

My cousins went to New Hartford and I remember playing in that gym once or twice, so it feels good knowing Ive been on the same floor and touched the same rim as some Syracuse legends. Also remember going to some of your football games against Whitesboro and such. I went to Mt Markham, so it's cool seeing some other folks from the area on here, especially being I'm out of state now and these discussions make me nostalgic.

I remember going to the Utica War Memorial a couple years later to see Syracuse play an intrasquad scrimmage. I believe they used to do it at Manley but this one was held in Utica. I think it was either right before the 1988 season or the 1989 season and I think the tickets might have been $3 for regular seats and $5 to sit behind the bench. I paid the extra money and I think I was the only one. People in Utica must be cheap.

I think I went to either the same one, or a year apart. But I remember being MUCH closer to the court than at the aud. I had to text my brother and he thinks it was at Notre Dame high school. His memory is better than mine, and he got his sneaker autographed by Sherman Douglas and Herman "The Helicopter" Harried. It was quite special for us being we never got to go the dome other than for sectionals. As for Utica area folks being cheap, it may have been the case and/or maybe we were just a bit more downtrodden. ;) While I'm reminiscing, when I lived in Albany/Troy for awhile, I'm pretty sure I must have been through Clifton Park as well for something(I may have even knocked on your door looking for a donation when I worked for Defenders of Wildlife lol), so I just wanted to say your screen name takes me back to my days in the capitol region. This thread made me smile.

My cousins went to New Hartford and I remember playing in that gym once or twice, so it feels good knowing Ive been on the same floor and touched the same rim as some Syracuse legends. Also remember going to some of your football games against Whitesboro and such. I went to Mt Markham, so it's cool seeing some other folks from the area on here, especially being I'm out of state now and these discussions make me nostalgic.

I think I went to either the same one, or a year apart. But I remember being MUCH closer to the court than at the aud. I had to text my brother and he thinks it was at Notre Dame high school. His memory is better than mine, and he got his sneaker autographed by Sherman Douglas and Herman "The Helicopter" Harried. It was quite special for us being we never got to go the dome other than for sectionals. As for Utica area folks being cheap, it may have been the case and/or maybe we were just a bit more downtrodden. ;) While I'm reminiscing, when I lived in Albany/Troy for awhile, I'm pretty sure I must have been through Clifton Park as well for something(I may have even knocked on your door looking for a donation when I worked for Defenders of Wildlife lol), so I just wanted to say your screen name takes me back to my days in the capitol region. This thread made me smile.

Mt. Markham in West Winfield?

Random - you don't meet a lot of people from there.

I'm driving downstate tonight and will pass right by that school. I'll give it a wave for you.