1998 Tennessee vs Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

1998 Tennessee vs Syracuse

That 1998 Tennessee loss was such a damn heartbreaker. Our two fourth quarter field goals should have been TDs and we would’ve won that game! Of course we went into the Big House the next week and grabbed a big time win.

i suppose you could build an argument he was a good blocker but he was never an offensive weapon.
Yes he was. Just not as much as we/he probably hoped he’d be.

20 tds in 4 seasons (44 games.) i wouldn't expect big yardage numbers from a guy his size. but you do think he could have punched it in more. for a little context will shipley who we faced today scored 26 td's in his first 2 season. allen and shredder both have 6 after 5 games this season . weapons. not sure if konrad was ever all american or even all BE. not hating on the dude (he was a dolphin) but let's face it , #44 wasn't retired becuz of rob konrad.
The point some of are making is that his talent was underutilized because of the rigid nature of how the coaches used players. He didn't have the numbers due to lack of opportunity not talent. The NFL guys recognized that when they drafted him in the second round. We haven't had a running back drafted that high since, including a number of guys near the top of our all time records lists.

20 tds in 4 seasons (44 games.) i wouldn't expect big yardage numbers from a guy his size. but you do think he could have punched it in more. for a little context will shipley who we faced today scored 26 td's in his first 2 season. allen and shredder both have 6 after 5 games this season . weapons. not sure if konrad was ever all american or even all BE. not hating on the dude (he was a dolphin) but let's face it , #44 wasn't retired becuz of rob konrad.

23 TDs (the pass receptions count, too), is an average of 5 or 6 TDs every season - pretty much a score every other game. How many people have done that for us?

And this production came from a guy who touched the ball less than 8 times a game for his career is excellent production, especially when you consider he was about the 5th or 6th option on some very good offenses.

300 carries in four seasons. That's the point.

It's funny, when you watch SU football games from the 90s, it's almost like you're watching a different sport. The formations were so much different. Almost everything under center, heavy use of the fullback, traditional option plays, I-formation, wishbone, shotgun pretty much only on long-yardage situations etc.

And that hard-as-concrete astroturf that I don't know how human beings played football on.

That 1998 Tennessee loss was such a damn heartbreaker. Our two fourth quarter field goals should have been TDs and we would’ve won that game! Of course we went into the Big House the next week and grabbed a big time win.
loss with long socks win with 1 shoe

300 carries in four seasons. That's the point.

23 touchdowns in such limited use = "not an offensive threat"? He made sure we got 6 points instead of 3 at the goal line, time after time.

5.1 yards per carry, 11.5 yards per catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom