2 bad calls were all the difference in the game. | Syracusefan.com

2 bad calls were all the difference in the game.

That's basically it.

Duke and charges man. F me.

The last call was obviously a deal breaker but the block call on Silent G that gave Parker a 3 point play was just as bad. Switch those two calls around and we win.

I don't buy ANY of this "The Refs robbed us". Its pure BS. We missed too many shots and left it up to the refs. From my POV it was a 50-50 call at the end. Too many bunnies/layups/offensive rebound putbacks rolled off the the rim. Duke was the better team tonight .. deal with it.

I don't buy ANY of this "The Refs robbed us". Its pure BS. We missed too many shots and left it up to the refs. From my POV it was a 50-50 call at the end. Too many bunnies/layups/offensive rebound putbacks rolled off the the rim. Duke was the better team tonight .. deal with it.
I largely agree with that. If Ennis an TC show up just a little but we win. However, having those two judgment calls go against us was really the nail in the coffin. We've been getting the close calls throughout the season and now they seem to be going the other way. Can't keep going to the well on all of these close games and expect to get bailed out. We really need a dominating win for our confidence.

The last call was obviously a deal breaker but the block call on Silent G that gave Parker a 3 point play was just as bad. Switch those two calls around and we win.

Yup - indeed.

I agree with most of that, but not the part about Duke being the better team. At all. It went right down to the wire, and we were right there at the end despite having to deal with all of the adversity [foul trouble, lopsided calls, etc.].

I'm not taking anything away from Duke, but they weren't better than us tonight.

That said, you are right--if we'd been a little better offensively, if we'd gotten anything from Cooney, if we didn't have several lengthy offensive lapses, etc. we win pretty easily.

Yeah!! That argument makes no sense. If it comes down to a blown call, it just does. It doesn't matter what happened before that.

Yeah!! That argument makes no sense. If it comes down to a blown call, it just does. It doesn't matter what happened before that.

That's the whole point! Don't leave it up to the refs. Always assume you are playing 5 vs 8 .. build a big enough advantage so they don't make a difference. Needing a bucket to tie is not a position of strength.

2 calls does not a game make. We blew too many 2nd chance shots, and let Duke back in the game in the 1st half... that cost us big time. And as some said, our guards needed to make some jumpers and couldn't. Our defense was much better than the 1st game, but shooting 38% isn't gonna win many games for us, especially at Duke. Lets not forget Duke went 13-25 from the FT line, too... Sure, Duke got a a few more calls from the refs, but playing in Cameron it's to be expected. Overall, we played a pretty good game considering the atmosphere, but...

Winners don't whine... they win.

2 calls does not a game make. We blew too many 2nd chance shots, and let Duke back in the game in the 1st half... that cost us big time. And as some said, our guards needed to make some jumpers and couldn't. Our defense was much better than the 1st game, but shooting 38% isn't gonna win many games for us, especially at Duke. Lets not forget Duke went 13-25 from the FT line, too... Sure, Duke got a a few more calls from the refs, but playing in Cameron it's to be expected. Overall, we played a pretty good game considering the atmosphere, but...

Winners don't whine... they win.

The only relevant point in your post is the highlighted sentence.

Don't condescend to lecture to the rest of us for being frustrated with the officiating when you willingly concede the highlighted point.

zhanjuzi said:
That's the whole point! Don't leave it up to the refs. Always assume you are playing 5 vs 8 .. build a big enough advantage so they don't make a difference. Needing a bucket to tie is not a position of strength.

You realize if you're playing "5 vs 8" that you'll never be able to "build a big enough advantage", right?

At the least they should have called the plays the same way

No call on the Rak dunk was huge as well. Instead of down 3 constantly we're down two.

The only relevant point in your post is the highlighted sentence.

Don't condescend to lecture to the rest of us for being frustrated with the officiating when you willingly concede the highlighted point.

Grow up. I'm not lecturing anyone. So our lack of converting how many 2nd chance opportunities had nothing to do with allowing Duke back in the game? Cooney and Ennis shooting 3-18 had nothing to do with losing? Don't put ourselves in that late game predicament. 38% shooting won't continue to cut it. At some point someone has to knock down outside jumpers. You can only blame the refs for so much. Five games in a row we can't score more than 60 points. That's never happened in all of JB's tenure, as ESPN noted.

Grow up. I'm not lecturing anyone. So our lack of converting how many 2nd chance opportunities had nothing to do with allowing Duke back in the game? Cooney and Ennis shooting 3-18 had nothing to do with losing? Don't put ourselves in that late game predicament. 38% shooting won't continue to cut it. At some point someone has to knock down outside jumpers. You can only blame the refs for so much. Five games in a row we can't score more than 60 points. That's never happened in all of JB's tenure, as ESPN noted.

You have the gall to preach to others about what they should think and feel, and you tell ME to grow up? Comical. Oh Lord

Moving on... yes, our backcourt struggled. And we didn't defend well in the second half due to having to play a small lineup for a stretch. There are a lot of things that could have changed the game. But this isn't a divergent timeline with "ifs" and "buts" -- correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about how the game tonight worked out sans hypotheticals. Despite all of those things, despite facing some questionable calls that went against us -- we were right there with them at the end, in a position to tie or win. So you'll forgive me for not sharing your opinion that the only reason we lost was because we missed a shot or two.

Because sorry, it's not the only reason. If we get that call at the end, it would have had an enormous impact on the eventual outcome, wouldn't you say? Making other shots and getting more rebounds might have made that not as critical of a play, but it WAS a critical play. And people are free to express their frustration with how that call went, given the call against Gbinije earlier.

The fact that we could have done more, executed better, and made a few more plays doesn't alter the fact that a highly questionable call with 10 seconds determined the outcome of the game, not the players.

Last edited:
You have the gall to preach to others about what they should think and feel, and you tell ME to grow up? Comical. Oh Lord

Moving on... yes, our backcourt struggled. And we didn't defend well in the second half due to having to play a small lineup for a stretch. There are a lot of things that could have changed the game. But this isn't a divergent timeline with "ifs" and "buts" -- correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about how the game tonight worked out sans hypotheticals. Despite all of those things, despite facing some questionable calls that went against us -- we were right there with them at the end, in a position to tie or win. So you'll forgive me for not sharing your opinion that the only reason we lost was because we missed a shot or two.

Because sorry, it's not the only reason. If we get that call at the end, it would have had an enormous impact on the eventual outcome, wouldn't you say? Making other shots and getting more rebounds might have made that not as critical of a play, but it WAS a critical play. And people are free to express their frustration with how that call went, given the call against Gbinije earlier.

Duke is gonna get those homer calls from the ref, I'm not disputing that. But last time I checked, we need to score to win. And this team cannot score to save their lives. And btw, we missed more than "a shot or two" which had a direct impact on why the game came down to the blown call on CJ. TE/TC going 3-18 is more than missing a shot or two.

You're right.
We re responsible for being in the position we were with so many missed shots from 2 feet or less.

BUT...the officiating was not very good.
Both ways.
Remember that flagrant -1 that put Gbinije on the line?
K was irate and rightly so.

We had 2 bang-bang calls go against us...the non-charge on Parker and the charge on CJ.
That's basketball.

We hit a couple of those chippies and it's a different game.

I'm curious about how you feel about this:
BhH_Ic5IgAAWnoH.jpg:large

You're right.
We re responsible for being in the position we were with so many missed shots from 2 feet or less.

BUT...the officiating was not very good.
Both ways.
Remember that flagrant -1 that put Gbinije on the line?
K was irate and rightly so.

We had 2 bang-bang calls go against us...the non-charge on Parker and the charge on CJ.
That's basketball.

We hit a couple of those chippies and it's a different game.
The intentional foul on G was bad. I don't think it made a difference because he made both free throws and we missed on the following possession, so it was the same as if he had made the breakaway layup.

Xmas got hammered on the basket he made before the Fair play, that should have been and 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom