2 bad calls were all the difference in the game. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2 bad calls were all the difference in the game.

I don't buy ANY of this "The Refs robbed us". Its pure BS. We missed too many shots and left it up to the refs. From my POV it was a 50-50 call at the end. Too many bunnies/layups/offensive rebound putbacks rolled off the the rim. Duke was the better team tonight .. deal with it.

Missed shots are PART of the game of basketball. Blatently lopsided officiating should NOT be. To say it is "pure BS" is, well, BS.

I'm curious about how you feel about this:
BhH_Ic5IgAAWnoH.jpg:large

Too funny. Well then I guess the Ts never happen. Game on

The intentional foul on G was bad. I don't think it made a difference because he made both free throws and we missed on the following possession, so it was the same as if he had made the breakaway layup.

That was a brutal call, I'm not even sure there should have been a foul called after watching the replay.

The call on Silent G was horrific as was the non-call on the X dunk. I really did not have a big problem with the end of game call as it was borderline as to whether or not the defender's feet was set and CJ clearly initiated the contact.

What I do have a problem with aside from the Silent G & X plays was that Jerami was absolutely hammered every time he took a shot & he only got four FTs the entire game.

Duke is gonna get those homer calls from the ref, I'm not disputing that. But last time I checked, we need to score to win. And this team cannot score to save their lives. And btw, we missed more than "a shot or two" which had a direct impact on why the game came down to the blown call on CJ. TE/TC going 3-18 is more than missing a shot or two.

The team you site above DID score! We were in a position to win. We played pretty well against a very good basketball team...

That foul on Silent G was pathetic at best, not even close to a 50-50 call, which is what makes the last foul on CJ even more pathetic.
Which ref blew that call? I don't remember

Lil Rick said:
Duke is gonna get those homer calls from the ref, I'm not disputing that. But last time I checked, we need to score to win. And this team cannot score to save their lives. And btw, we missed more than "a shot or two" which had a direct impact on why the game came down to the blown call on CJ. TE/TC going 3-18 is more than missing a shot or two.

Pretty simple, Roberson needs to be ready to play. The eight man rotation is there, obvious and necessary.

Wasn't guy PoY in NJ last year? Get him out there

3 guard, 3 forwards and 2 centers is a dream

Make it's happen coaches

yeh the lack of consistency is what's so frustrating. jabari parker runs over gbinje with 2 feet clearly set and it's a block. yet the duke kid slides over and it's a charge. shame that game had to end on a bad (or at least inconsistent) call.

I thought Christmas was fouled on his last basket (and from his reaction so did he).

Add to that the frustration of him getting called for that same type of foul time and time again.

2001Dukechamps said:

Is that all you little dookies have? An already debunked still photo. There's a new sheriff in town, get used to it. You'll have to get the refs deeper in your back pockets.

That foul on Silent G was pathetic at best, not even close to a 50-50 call, which is what makes the last foul on CJ even more pathetic.
And what about that ridiculous Fragrant Foul call on Duke .. it all evens out.

Don't forget the charge call against Jefferson where the SU defender clearly established position in the restricted area. Point is, the officiating was horrible both ways and it is becoming a bigger issue where the refs are the talk of the game afterwards and not the teams. Refs should be like O-linemen ... when you start hearing people talk about them it can only be because they are screwing up.

This picture is completely misleading from the angle. If you look at it real time, his hand hasn't even touched the ball yet when he's stepping out of bounds. He get's more than in bounds by the time he gets the ball.

Nice try though.

You do realize that if no foul is called there he goes in for an uncontested layup and SU gets the 2 points anyway? THAT call did not effect the outcome of the game.

Glen Errol said:
Don't forget the charge call against Jefferson where the SU defender clearly established position in the restricted area. Point is, the officiating was horrible both ways and it is becoming a bigger issue where the refs are the talk of the game afterwards and not the teams. Refs should be like O-linemen ... when you start hearing people talk about them it can only be because they are screwing up.

Don't forget the 99 Duke hand checks. It doesn't go both ways, not at Duke.

Don't forget the 99 Duke hand checks. It doesn't go both ways, not at Duke.

I just watched the replay for first time last night after being at game. The body check of CJ where he got called for a travel, the arm bar and other contact on Cooney as he drove for a late layup, the foul on Xmas, Plumlee clearly fouled Grant on one shot he made, list can go on and on. Yes there were bad calls against Duke as well but I came away thinking what I did watching game live, we got the short end of the stick.

As a Duke fan I will admit we got favorable referee treatment, just like is ALWAYS the case for the home team no matter where you go. You guys got some favorable treatment during the game at Cuse and saying otherwise is just silly, just like if I said the referees were even in Saturday night's game that would be silly.

Here is the truth, the call at the end of the game was a blocking foul from my point of view. But in real time, for a referee on the court, I can see how it was viewed as a charge. It was a fairly close play. Hood got there. It wasn't an in your face, obvious foul call that went against your team. Just like the play when Hood missed the dunk was not an obvious foul call either, both plays were 50/50.

I'm so tired of Duke fans and Syracuse acting like little girls after each game. It's embarrassing to each school and the conference.

As a Duke fan I will admit we got favorable referee treatment, just like is ALWAYS the case for the home team no matter where you go. You guys got some favorable treatment during the game at Cuse and saying otherwise is just silly, just like if I said the referees were even in Saturday night's game that would be silly.

Here is the truth, the call at the end of the game was a blocking foul from my point of view. But in real time, for a referee on the court, I can see how it was viewed as a charge. It was a fairly close play. Hood got there. It wasn't an in your face, obvious foul call that went against your team. Just like the play when Hood missed the dunk was not an obvious foul call either, both plays were 50/50.

I'm so tired of Duke fans and Syracuse acting like little girls after each game. It's embarrassing to each school and the conference.
Such is the stuff that rivalries are made.

I think its as terrible an angle as one can have on a play. There's nothing there that shows either foot is on the line. On the other hand the ref is 4 feet away from the play and didm't call an OB. As Decoursey said, please stop posting these blurry still photos. They mean nothing. Though, they do mean that you guys admit Parker's elbow to the chops was a charge and Hoods flop was a block cuz that's all ya got.

Last edited:
If we converted even a quarter of our offensive rebounds the charge wouldn't even be talked about right now. We had so many opportunities to take control of this game and we blew them. The brain fart turnovers didn't help either.

chs234 said:
As a Duke fan I will admit we got favorable referee treatment, just like is ALWAYS the case for the home team no matter where you go. You guys got some favorable treatment during the game at Cuse and saying otherwise is just silly, just like if I said the referees were even in Saturday night's game that would be silly. Here is the truth, the call at the end of the game was a blocking foul from my point of view. But in real time, for a referee on the court, I can see how it was viewed as a charge. It was a fairly close play. Hood got there. It wasn't an in your face, obvious foul call that went against your team. Just like the play when Hood missed the dunk was not an obvious foul call either, both plays were 50/50. I'm so tired of Duke fans and Syracuse acting like little girls after each game. It's embarrassing to each school and the conference.

Duke fan talking about favorable treatment by refs for all home teams. Cute. How about talking about the quantity?

The intentional foul on G was bad. I don't think it made a difference because he made both free throws and we missed on the following possession, so it was the same as if he had made the breakaway layup.

Fair enough, although I think a momentum-building jam was taken away - especially as it was G, in his old gym. That would have been a really big play, instead it was two free throws, a big yawn in comparison.

The call on Silent G was horrific as was the non-call on the X dunk. I really did not have a big problem with the end of game call as it was borderline as to whether or not the defender's feet was set and CJ clearly initiated the contact.

What I do have a problem with aside from the Silent G & X plays was that Jerami was absolutely hammered every time he took a shot & he only got four FTs the entire game.

Part of the problem Grant has is that when he drives, he often looks out of control, off-balance with lots of extra arms and legs movement. So when the contact occurs, it's difficult to see disadvantage. And sometimes it looks like he's the one initiating the contact. When a player makes a smooth, strong move to the basket, and is contacted by the D and gets dislodged/displaced, it's easy to see whether there's a foul call to be called.

And before some blindly loyal fan accuses me of saying he doesn't deserve any calls, that's not what I said. I'm just making an observation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom