2 locks to redshirt next year | Syracusefan.com

2 locks to redshirt next year

2-3zone

2nd String
Johnson and Obokoh are locks to redshirt

Johnson will only be 17 next fall and he will have Fair, Grant and Roberson ahead of him

Obokoh is not ready for D-1 ball and we have Rak, DC2 and Baye

Depends on who returns next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnson will only be 17 next fall and he will have Fair, Grant and Roberson ahead of him

I think it is very likely that we'll have a redshirt next season. It is doubtful that we'll have two, however. Depending on what happens with Rak, it is more likely that we'll have zero redshirts [with Obokoh being the emergency big man if Rak departs] than two.

Well who is you and whatchu doin in my house, jack? Johnson's ability to shoot could be a hot commodity next year.

If our coaches redshirt kids based on Age rather than need to develop they may as well let us choose who is redshirted. You use the term locks yet you fail to see that BJ is really a 2 or 3 which may help him work into the rotation at the 2 spot which niether Fair nor Grant play. Why dont we let them get on campus before we start declaring them as locks to redshirt.

Glad you're on the staff and you're letting us know... Oh wait you aren't on staff?

1. Only Cali is qualified to tell us who is ready and who is not ready without any actual info.

2. We have Rak next season? Are you sure?

I wouldn't say BJ is a lock. You saw the spacing issues we had without James. If Mike G or Ennis or Cooney can't be consistent three point threats, we will need someone to space the floor and that role could be filled by BJ, especially if he is at the 2. That is a lot of height up top.

Should be a good competition.

That's only 3 players for 2 positions. Roberson is a 4, Grant likely as well. CJ played the 4 last year but may run the 3 next year due to need and roster strength and if he works on his handle he'll be lethal there but will still need a breather for 5-10 a game. BJ is that guy and likely won't be here 5 years anyway if he does redshirt so what's the point? He'll have his degree in 4 years (or possibly 3) and will be on draft radars from his 2nd year on like most SU 3's are.

Only redshirt I see is Obokoh IF Baye and DC2 stay healthy. If not we could burn his redshirt or run Grant or Roberson at the 5.

Every year people have more kids redshirting than a football team does.

Nobody is redshirting next season.

You clearly don't read the board enough. BJ Johnson is about the furthest thing from a lock to redshirt as we have coming in. His father posts here, especially in the threads on the recruiting board and has made clear that they have no intention of redshirting and have every expectation of getting meaningful playing time next year based on their discussions with the coaching staff. Now its possible that the playing time expectations may not be met, but he was pretty clear that their expectations are quite different than coming in next season and sitting out a year.

Probably Chino, but I just don't see BJ redshirting.
He has a ton of upside as a shooter, scorer and defender.

At the very least, he gets spot minutes early in the season and learns the ins and outs from the guys in front of him.
He might have to wait his turn, but I believe he has too much promise to not take a chance on as 9th or 10th man in the rotation.

I believe, based on personnel and their potential, that JB will play a few more guys next season, if only to feel them out in appropriate games.

BJ doesn't 'shirt. No way.

He sees time at the 2 next year, and maybe some at the 3 - don't know how much he sees the court, but he's not 'shirting. I'd be shocked if he 'shirts. If he works hard on D and picks up the zone quickly, he'll make an impact. I'm not worried about scoring, but he does need to get stronger so he can finish at this level. He reminds me a bit of Jeremy Lamb of UCONN, but taller.

Great fit for the zone and our program, and from what I've seen he knows where the basket is.

I've said this on like a dozen threads, but this kid is a really intriguing recruit. I think he has Hakim-like potential in terms of being very underrated coming in but a monster by the time he's done.

Realize he'll be a 6'7" 2 guard. Think about that, especially in our system. He could be a terror at the top of the zone, and cause huge mismatch issues at the other end. Who do you cover him with? The typical shrimp 2's won't be able to bother his shot, and the bigger 3's might not be comfortable running around after him on the perimeter.

I'm not trying to overhype the kid; I don't think he'll be all-ACC from day 1, but the potential is there. I'll go on record with the following predictions:

1. He leaves here as a 1,200 point scorer minimum
2. He makes all-ACC second team JR and SR years
3. He gets drafted (NBA)
4. He'll never cause any problems during his time on the hill and will be a high character kid that helps our APR

His Dad will no doubt chime in here, and reinforce the notion that the kid puts in the hours and will do everything he can to make an impact. Kid's a winner too - state champs in their league in PA.

Have you considered writing your own almanac?

If Rak and Fair stay and nobody redshirts, that would make us 12 deep. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a major program consistently going more than 10 deep. I assume Chinonso will redshirt, which still puts us at a lofty 11 man rotation.

Forward is the next logical spot to look for a redshirt. We know Grant and Fair will be the starters and Roberson is supposed to be phenomenal, so that leaves the 17 year old. I don't doubt that he is very talented and athletic, but is it better for him to get 5 minutes per game and lose a year of eligibility or redshirt? I'd say redshirting would be the way to go with BJ (especially considering his age).

Patterson would typically be the other candidate for a redshirt but I doubt he wants to sit out after being forced into a prep school last year.

Figuring there are 80 minutes per game at the Forward spots: Fair should be around 35 and Grant should be in the 25-30 range. Optimistically, that leaves 20 minutes for Roberson and BJ. Boeheim could certainly let them fight for it or split it evenly at 10 minutes a piece, but I'd rather see the role earned by just one of them before the season.

First, non-injury redshirts are not all that common with SU basketball.
Second, there are no locks in April when it comes to PT in November.

BJ doesn't 'shirt. No way.

He sees time at the 2 next year, and maybe some at the 3 - don't know how much he sees the court, but he's not 'shirting. I'd be shocked if he 'shirts. If he works hard on D and picks up the zone quickly, he'll make an impact. I'm not worried about scoring, but he does need to get stronger so he can finish at this level. He reminds me a bit of Jeremy Lamb of UCONN, but taller.

Great fit for the zone and our program, and from what I've seen he knows where the basket is.

I've said this on like a dozen threads, but this kid is a really intriguing recruit. I think he has Hakim-like potential in terms of being very underrated coming in but a monster by the time he's done.

Realize he'll be a 6'7" 2 guard. Think about that, especially in our system. He could be a terror at the top of the zone, and cause huge mismatch issues at the other end. Who do you cover him with? The typical shrimp 2's won't be able to bother his shot, and the bigger 3's might not be comfortable running around after him on the perimeter.

I'm not trying to overhype the kid; I don't think he'll be all-ACC from day 1, but the potential is there. I'll go on record with the following predictions:

1. He leaves here as a 1,200 point scorer minimum
2. He makes all-ACC second team JR and SR years
3. He gets drafted (NBA)
4. He'll never cause any problems during his time on the hill and will be a high character kid that helps our APR

His Dad will no doubt chime in here, and reinforce the notion that the kid puts in the hours and will do everything he can to make an impact. Kid's a winner too - state champs in their league in PA.

While I agree with the entire post, the bolded part. Bam!
That's what he cared about from day one when he accepted a scholarship. Back to work and the goal was to win the state.
He didn't get ahead of himself, and set out to win. And did just that.

There is a place for anyone who thinks like this and this guy just so happens to have the talent to back it up.

Considering that we lost a 6'8 pure shooter to graduation this year - no chance that the 6'7 pure shooting frosh is going to redshirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom