2 more years but with conditions | Syracusefan.com

2 more years but with conditions

florange44

Scout Team
I love Shafer in many ways. I think he can improve in the other areas.

I think Coyle has seen enough good football and good coaching at other places to know what it looks like.

I suspect he will extend Shafer, with the following caveats

- 2 years with a school friendly buyout after 1 year
- new S&C coach
-new secondary coach
-new O-line coach (maybe online moves to secondary?)

Florange44

I'd obviously get on board with this. I also 100% think you need to reevaluate things after next season. 3 years is too early; 4 years is plenty of time to see where things are heading.

I'd obviously get on board with this. I also 100% think you need to reevaluate things after next season. 3 years is too early; 4 years is plenty of time to see where things are heading.

11353041-large.jpeg

And sometimes 4 years is 4 years too long.

I believe, as well, that we are setting up nicely for next year. That is the "prove it" year for me. If we are still struggling then, we can talk.

I believe, as well, that we are setting up nicely for next year. That is the "prove it" year for me. If we are still struggling then, we can talk.
Agree entirely. I'm looking forward to seeing what this offense can do next year with these young guys a year older (including Dungey having had a full year in a college S&C program so he should come back around 215 or maybe even 220) and then adding a guy like Moe Neal in there. The biggest thing will be seeing if the defense can make a bit of a leap to rise to what I am expecting to be good offensive production.

- new S&C coach
-new secondary coach
-new O-line coach (maybe online moves to secondary?)
If you cannot trust your head coach to make these decisions on his own, then you need a new head coach.

Everybody keeps talking about the o-line coach and defensive back coach, but the last two weeks it's been our d-line and linebackers who can't stop the run. Our o-line is not the problem and I thougth our cornerbacks and safeties played much better yesterday. We are young in both spots and you can't always rush experience. This team has the ability to continue to grow and learn this year and beat some teams on the end of this schedule.

I think what we are seeing is how bad a recruiter Maronne really was. He didn't like recruiting and his smug attitude did not endear himself to players or parents. He won with the experience of Robinson's recruits and NEVER recruited a quarterback that started. His use of JUCO players also left us in a bind. I have no doubt that Maronne could scheme offensively, but if you recall we were always complaining about his lack of game management skills. Shafer's defense won us a lot of games.