2 Things about Minny | Syracusefan.com

2 Things about Minny

jekelish

Living Legend
1) That's going to look like a really solid win sooner than later

2) Little Dicky Pitino is going to have them challenging for the B10 title sooner rather than later

Amazing what Rick's kid is doing up there in his first year. Imagine when he has a couple recruiting cycles under his belt. Wow.

If Hopkins leaves to coach elsewhere, whenever JB Retires(hopefully never), I REALLY want Syracuse to take a long look at Rich Pitino

1) That's going to look like a really solid win sooner than later

2) Little Dicky Pitino is going to have them challenging for the B10 title sooner rather than later

Amazing what Rick's kid is doing up there in his first year. Imagine when he has a couple recruiting cycles under his belt. Wow.
By the time he has a couple recruiting cycles, he'll be outta there.

I was laughed at when I said they would be borderline Tourney team at worst.

you know what's funny? scroll down a few threads and you'll read about a guy who won once with someone else's players and got everyone excited, but is now on the hot seat just a few seasons later.

Last edited:
Very limited sample.
With the roster he has, I kinda disagree. He's beaten Ohio State (of course everyone is beating them lately) and now Wisconsin, and took Michigan State to overtime. They're 15-5 and also beat a Florida State team that's very respectable. He's doing very, very well with what he's got.

Very limited sample.
Disagree. Obviously not coaching a long time but it doesn't take long to see a good coach. Record setting year at FIU, then has shown he can win at Big 10 level with a couple huge wins..

With the roster he has, I kinda disagree. He's beaten Ohio State (of course everyone is beating them lately) and now Wisconsin, and took Michigan State to overtime. They're 15-5 and also beat a Florida State team that's very respectable. He's doing very, very well with what he's got.

Disagree. Obviously not coaching a long time but it doesn't take long to see a good coach. Record setting year at FIU, then has shown he can win at Big 10 level with a couple huge wins..

He's won a few games with no expectations on him...great! He may be very good, but the NCAA's unemployment line is littered with coaches that were given contracts based on one or two years of success that they ultimately couldn't continue.

It shows you what a good system (carbon copy of Louisville) and a coach who can inject energy and buy-in from his players can do. What a difference from Tubby ball last season with many of the same players.

A few observations from a lifelong Minnesotan and follower of Gophers hoops…

- Though he has no doubt injected some much-needed life into the program, the jury is still out on Pitino as long-term keeper coach. As impressive as the Wisc and OSU wins were, look no further than the Arkansas, Michigan and Iowa games for the other side. Richie has the boys playing an exciting up and down style but has not shown the ability to adjust or deviate in the slightest when needed. Also, let's see how he does on the recruiting trail. He was not able to retain any of the top players from within MN for this upcoming class.

- For 5'8" or whatever he actually is, Mathieu might just be the most underrated lead guard in the country right now.

- Wisconsin is a horrible defensive team right now.

- For the above post saying this is the best thing that has happened to Gophers basketball - well, Kevin McHale and Trent Tucker would probably disagree.

- Baylor and Cal are still better wins for us than the Gophs.

I think Pitino has a good chance to be a solid coach but I've never been a fan of BCS programs hiring coaches who only had one or two years where they won at a lower level program. If it was me doing the hiring, I'd look for someone who ideally had at least 6 years. That gets them through a full 4 year recruting cycle and then a couple years after that. I keep thinking of Keno Davis at Providence. All he really proved before he got that job was that he could win one year at Drake with his dad's players. Granted he did help recruit as an assistant but still don't understand hiring coaches after only one good year.

Taunted I was when I said they were a top 25 team.

If Hopkins leaves to coach elsewhere, whenever JB Retires(hopefully never), I REALLY want Syracuse to take a long look at Rich Pitino
Assuming that he turns out to be the real deal, only if he signed a non-compete agreement to preclude employment with Louisville for a couple of years if he left Syracuse. Would not want a short-timer. If Cuse is not someones destination job, we don't want him.

Taunted I was when I said they were a top 25 team.
TPM-CGYoda.JPG

They're not a top25 team.
If the top 25 was truly the top 25 ..I'd say they are. The Arkansas loss never happens if they didn't get the shi- draw with Syracuse.

Otherwise they've played very well.

Minnesota is getting better for sure. Solid win. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it's in his blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom